Drink pkg -- how do you know??

BOGOman

25 minutes ago, TFLG said:

The bartenders will use the cheap stuff regardless of package unless you specifically request a top shelf liquor.  If you hand them your card and say nothing you will get the well liquor even if you have a premium package.

Hmmm. Maybe you're talking about mixed drinks that aren't part of your drink package but could be made with a spirit that IS included in your drink package. If your observation is true in that case, it counters my assumption that the servers are instructed to ask if the passenger wants the spirit used in the mixed drink that comes with the package. Otherwise, the burden is on you and I to make sure we get the covered spirits, at least the first time you patronize a specific server. Somebody above said that the servers are good, they do want you to get what you paid for, and when they get to know you they will do so without asking again. 

Edited by BOGOman

17 hours ago, BOGOman said:

Hmmm. Maybe you're talking about mixed drinks that aren't part of your drink package but could be made with a spirit that IS included in your drink package. If your observation is true in that case, it counters my assumption that the servers are instructed to ask if the passenger wants the spirit used in the mixed drink that comes with the package. Otherwise, the burden is on you and I to make sure we get the covered spirits, at least the first time you patronize a specific server. Somebody above said that the servers are good, they do want you to get what you paid for, and when they get to know you they will do so without asking again. 

It's most any drink even wine.  Many of the menu drinks specify a particular alcohol but your standards don't (rum and coke, G &T etc).  If you slide up to the bar and order a cab, a chardonay or a G & T you will get whatever is in the well regardless of your package unless you specify a particular alcohol.  The dining rooms are about the only place they will typically pour to your package without you having to ask (with the wine anyway).     It does not seem to matter how many times you order a particular drink with a particular bartender (unless you tip them, do that and they will typically remember you and your drink).  Some bars are better than others for instance the World Class Bar or the Ensemble lounge since they are not as busy so they might remember your preference.  But the pool bar, the sunset bar, sky lounge, martini bar are all usually slammed and you will get what ever is closet to the bartender unless you specify.  I really don't think they are doing it to rip anyone off, I think it's more of a speed thing. They grab what's closest (the well stuff).  In most mixed drinks it doesn't matter what brand of booze they use as long as it's decent (99% can't tell the brand once it's mixed with anything other than water). They don't have any really bad alcohol on Celebrity so even the well stuff is decent in a mixed drink. I typically drink single malt scotch so it matters a lot to me what brand I get. And the thing I find most irritating is they often run out of Macallan  (again a small tip will usually ensure that doesn't happen more than once).

I'm pretty much a subject matter expert where booze is concerened lol.

And for sure check your accout daily.  I've found random drink charges on my account on nearly every cruise.  The last one they were charging me a couple of bucks every time I ordered a moscow mule?? Just mules for some reason.  And I had the premium package not that it should matter since a mule is included on the classic package.

Edited by TFLG