QM2, Tips and Gratuities

snowshovel

Karie,

I have been to lectures on what real pirates wore, but I think the theatrical stuff would go ever better. :p

Well, actually, all of the known "lady pirates" dressed and usually lived as men (though one used her womanhood to create an element of surprise when she revealed herself to be a woman to win a duel! She was an expert of her own accord, but this really put her over the top and gave her that extra few minutes to finish the man off!) So I had to dress as more of a serving wench, but still as authentic as I could. Marc looked a bit like what Johnny Depp wore in Pirates of the Caribbean. Handsomer, though, I think! <G>

With diabetes, you must be vigilant about caring for your feet! Have you tried real silk stocking? I'm not talking about hose; I mean actual stockings that you have to attach to a garter belt. Of course, you may not want to go to all that trouble! And it is never as easy finding things in larger sizes, unfortunately.

I have a number of garter belts and real silk stockings. Problem with silk is they don't stretch, so those are extra hard to find in plus sizes, especially if you are not evenly distributed. I also like a product called Scantihose. Not sure if they are still in business, but they are 45 minutes to an hour from my house, run out of someone's home. they are like stockings and garter belt with hook and eye instead of garters. They are comfortable and come in plus sizes.

I'm with you on the shoes. I'm worried about our upcoming trip, because most of the evening outfits I have planned call for heels. I usually clog around in Dansko's all the time. And it's really hard to find heels that don't pinch somewhere.

I had a pair of strappy sandals that I dared wear with smallish heels. My little toes kept trying to escape between the straps! <LOL> It's fairly easy to find nice white strappy sandals in low or no heel, and they look dressy enough. Problem is most sandals seem to like the thong style between the toe. Not good with stockings!

And on to costumes. I make costumes from 1840-1950 and fantasy (Star Wars, etc.). I am planning a couple of outfits from my time periods for the cruise: I just finished sewing a 1950's sundress. I'm planning to wear a late 20's college girl outfit and a 40's suit. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I'm able to finish my 1934 evening gown in time! I just wish I had more time for sewing. I'd probably wear historical things all the time. LOL! My costumes are really just for fun.
I trust we will be seeing pictures? This sounds perfectly marvelous!

Thanks for sharing.

And thanks for your kind responses.

Good luck finding shoes and getting all of that sewing done!

Karie

I have read all the answers to the question of tipping the staff. My husband and I always personally hand the envelopes out to the deserving employees that made our trip a fantastic event!!!! If we sail and the tips are taken out for the normal amount, we then tip on top of that and also hand out envelopes personally to the staff. We even put our last name and cabin number on the envelopes. We believe in starting at the recommended tips for waiter, assistant waiter, and cabin person, etc. and then if they show exceptional service, we include an amount appropriate for the level of service they gave.

One more tip about helping further your caregiver's job is to FILL OUT THE COMMENT CARDS before leaving the ship. Your staff can have 15 superior ratings and only one bad comment and their career status suffers from the one bad comment. The comment cards are extremely important for a JOB WELL DONE!!!!!

Christy

Archived