Explorer - missing dates

eliana

1 hour ago, Eno-Bob said:

Don’t know exactly what is going to be “updated” on the Explorer on this dry-dock – however, we are on the first cruise after the dry-dock.  We were aware we would be on that first cruise during our last cruise in January and asked one of the Explorer Officers – maybe the GM – what was being updated.  He didn’t provide specifics, but he said that this was their “end of warranty” dry-dock and that all “fixes” that the manufacturer was responsible for would be addressed during this period.  A lot of that could be below decks and not visible to passengers. 

Makes perfect sense.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, eliana said:

Well said Mark. Cruise Critic has become a forum for moaners and it is refreshing to read comments such as yours. We love the Explorer and indeed the other Regent ships and take the nit pickers with a piece of salt. However, we still wish Regent would improve their coffee - just go for a better blend and medium roast not a dark espresso blend throughout the ship which still remains their norm. Their complimentary wines are generally very good and maybe their wine buyer should also be given the role of coffee buying!

I cannot address the coffee from a position of experience as I am a green tea drinker.  My wife did enjoy a latte' every morning, prepared cheerfully by Andre' from France in the Coffee Café.  She is a coffee aficionado, preferring pure Kona medium roast from Hawaii, and she was very pleased with her latte' each day.  I assumed she would be a frequent user of the illy coffeemaker in the cabin yet it sat unused the entire cruise.  I think the availability of a Mimosa each morning completely trumped her need for coffee in the room.  I fully agree with your assessment of the complimentary wine.  Prior to the cruise, I fully intended to pay for upgraded wines during certain dinners yet never did due to the suitability of what was being served. 

19 minutes ago, markdgriffin said:

I fully agree with your assessment of the complimentary wine.  Prior to the cruise, I fully intended to pay for upgraded wines during certain dinners yet never did due to the suitability of what was being served. 

Mark – Agree that some of the complimentary wines are quite good, but the ship also stocks some top wines on their “Connoisseur Wine List”.  One of the great things about the Connoisseur wine list is that the prices charged are comparable to the average retail price for those wines.  You are not paying the 100% to 200% markup that you would pay at restaurants of similar quality.  You get the full top restaurant Sommelier service and a great wine at a very good price.  We find it fun to splurge for special dinners and it’s a easy (and fast) way to use up those SBC dollars!

1 hour ago, Eno-Bob said:

Mark – Agree that some of the complimentary wines are quite good, but the ship also stocks some top wines on their “Connoisseur Wine List”.  One of the great things about the Connoisseur wine list is that the prices charged are comparable to the average retail price for those wines.  You are not paying the 100% to 200% markup that you would pay at restaurants of similar quality.  You get the full top restaurant Sommelier service and a great wine at a very good price.  We find it fun to splurge for special dinners and it’s a easy (and fast) way to use up those SBC dollars!

I scanned the connoisseur list in Prime 7 and noticed the pricing was very good.  Caymus is a favorite of ours and if I recall correctly, the price was under $100.  When at home, we don't drink every day so by the end of the cruise, after pre-dinner drinks, wine with dinner, and drinks after the show in the Observation Lounge each night, I was searching for an AA meeting to attend!  Also, I found a lightning fast way to evaporate the SBC dollars: Canyon Ranch Spa!  Great Experience, High Price.