Any Princess Denali Wilderness Lodge reviews?

KG2019

I’ve stayed there twice. Resort area is spread out, covers a large area. You may be pretty far away from main lodge, check in area. We were happy with it although the rooms were rather small.  Area is along the river and absolutely gorgeous.  Hubby and I walked across the street, browsed in the souvenir stores, took shuttle to Denali and hiked, went to the Visitors center. We opted out of the Natural History tour and took the Tundra Wilderness tour instead as it went much farther into the park. We did see the dinner theater show there at the lodge.  Food was mediocre and acting seemed to be about high school play quality. Woman across from me was raving about the food and the show. Maybe it was just me.....

KG2019:  Since we live in Fairbanks we try to get down to Denali at least once a summer, and have stayed at the Denali Princess more times than I care to count.  If you browse through the trip reports (organized by year and posted at the top of this forum index page) you will find comments and photos of the complex.  And regarding your Natural History tour, I would suggest taking the park shuttle into the park as far as Eielson Visitor's Center.

A stay at Denali Princess or another nearby good local hotel or lodge is a must since a full tour along the north side of the mountain takes a complete day. However, the Princess Mt. McKinley Lodge, in the Denali State Park, on the south slope is much superior to the Denali Princess. For one thing, you are looking right at Ad Summum ("To the highest peak"---- motto---U of A) when you are at the McKinley Princess. We live in Anchorage but like to stay a night at the McKinley Lodge for our anniversary and other holidays. The big mountain has been out in all its splendor each time we stayed there too. 

It is very true that the McKinley Princess is in the "Middle of Nowhere" (The Tokositna Wilderness, where the great Sydney Lawrence did his most noted work, at the Museum in downtown Anchorage they have one of his best, takes your breath away, don't miss it) and that is precisely why many people like that lodge, same goes for the Copper River Princess and the Kenai Princess (Real Alaska they are).

You can not see the mountain from the Denali Princess, which is smack dab in the middle of what we call "Glitter Gulch" with the George Parks Highway running through the middle of it all. If you like to shop where multiple retail tourist outlets exist, then you want Glitter Gulch or a visit at the town of Talkeetna.  

6 hours ago, tetleytea said:

The word I'm getting is that people like Denali Lodge, but don't like McKinley lodge.

I suspect that you are sensing that a number of folks find the McKinley Princess in the "Middle of Nowhere" and don't realize that it is about a 45 to an hour drive from Talkeetna.  Both lodges are complexes of buildings with the hotel rooms in two level separate buildings arranged across the property.  

As "kennicott" has noted the McKinley Princess can have spectacular views from the bar area.  In contrast the Denali Princess has more options for meals (ie the restaurants and food trucks in "Glitter Gulch") and folks can go to the Denali National Park Visitor's Center (two levels of exhibits).  At the Denali Princess it is also easy to take river rafting trips.  We have also stayed a number of times at the McKinley Princess (but not nearly as many times as at the Denali Princess) and periodically when you walk into the main building to check-in you will observe a number of folks sitting around looking bored.  At the McKinley Princess it is best to have a plan as to how you area going to spend your time there, or you may find yourself using the self-service laundry.