Norwegian Fjords - packing and cash

Tinytinkmom

Hello - Our family of 4 will be traveling from the US in mid-July, to spend time in England, Ireland and do a Norwegian Fjords cruise on Britannia.  We'll be traveling a total of two and a half weeks, and are trying not to take too much, as we'll be moving around.  I would appreciate any advice you might have regarding packing for the fjords (and England/Ireland!) in July.  Are any heavier layers necessary, or can we get by with layering a sweatshirt and waterproof jacket?  For excursions, we'll be doing Briksdal Glacier, a Fjord Safari in Flam, and then just walking around in Stavanger and Bergen.

Given the length of our trip, I don't know that we will pack any formal night attire, due to space issues - I'm assuming we can dine at the buffet those nights without a problem, in our casual clothes?

Finally, have you found it necessary to have cash in Norway, or were you able to pay for everything with credit card without a problem (including street vendors)?

Thank you for any advice you have!!

You certainly need a waterproof jacket as it can be wet but not too cold. You can occasionally get hot sunny weather in Norway but can be variable.

Credit and debit cards are widely accepted but you won’t be spending much in Norway when you see the prices.

You can dine in the buffet in casual dress. 

The currency in Ireland is the Euro, pounds in UK and Northern Ireland, and Krone in Norway. There are many cash machines around if you decide you need cash. 

Brian

• Like 1

As above, all good advice from Brian.

Dont feel banished to the buffet on formal nights, I believe the pay restaurants such as the Beach House allow casual clothes and are not overly priced.

The Fjords are beautiful, have a great time.

Andy

40 minutes ago, Tinytinkmom said:

Hello - Our family of 4 will be traveling from the US in mid-July, to spend time in England, Ireland and do a Norwegian Fjords cruise on Britannia.  We'll be traveling a total of two and a half weeks, and are trying not to take too much, as we'll be moving around.  I would appreciate any advice you might have regarding packing for the fjords (and England/Ireland!) in July.  Are any heavier layers necessary, or can we get by with layering a sweatshirt and waterproof jacket?  For excursions, we'll be doing Briksdal Glacier, a Fjord Safari in Flam, and then just walking around in Stavanger and Bergen.

Given the length of our trip, I don't know that we will pack any formal night attire, due to space issues - I'm assuming we can dine at the buffet those nights without a problem, in our casual clothes?

Finally, have you found it necessary to have cash in Norway, or were you able to pay for everything with credit card without a problem (including street vendors)?

There are self-service launderettes on P & O ships, so you can cut down on clothes if you wish to use these facilities, take some laundry tabs or powder

2 hours ago, Tinytinkmom said:

You dont need cash. I am back from a week in Norway and didnt need cash once, even for the toilets. Every street vendor and every shop accepted and prefered a card payment. So many posts on here of people taking cash and coming back with it and losing out.

Great point about not spending much when you see the prices, in a week I bought a cap £15 from a street vendor on card and a couple of coffes, a soft drink and buns for £18 again on card. That was the extent of my spending.

2 hours ago, fastnloose said:

There are self-service launderettes on P & O ships, so you can cut down on clothes if you wish to use these facilities, take some laundry tabs or powder

Just to add. The laundrettes and dryers are free to use. You just have to provide your own detergent - usually available in the on board shop.

Brian

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

As above, all good advice from Brian.

Dont feel banished to the buffet on formal nights, I believe the pay restaurants such as the Beach House allow casual clothes and are not overly priced.

The Fjords are beautiful, have a great time.

Andy

The beach house does allow casual clothes on formal nights as thats where I ate because I didnt do the formal dressing up.

Beach house is very nice and doesnt cost that much extra.

• Like 1

Just back from the Fjords and had really good weather. Dry and sunny every day except a rain shower in Bergen. We sailed on Britannia, 1st time with P & O, and really enjoyed our cruise. We packed layers for Norway - t shirt, fleece and waterproof jacket. No cash needed for Norway, everyone pays by card. A good pair of walking shoes would be useful for the glacier, its about a 3km walk from start to finish and wet in places due to the spray from the waterfalls.

• Like 1