Irons on board???

coachwardog

Just be carefull with the irons as they can get extremely hot...I read one review where someone burned a hole through their formal pants.

They also have an option of having your items pressed for you by the ship's laundry facilities...it does not cost that much, and you don't have to worry about doing it yourself.:D

That was me! That was me! *waves hands wildly*

I was just going to come and say to be careful with the irons, as they'll melt stone into lava.

In the future, I'm going to send something to be dry cleaned on board if I really need it pressed.

A spray bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release will work just fine - and is not a hazard of any kind. Also - if you turn on the shower really hot, turn it off, hang your clothing in there, and shut the bathroom door, it will steam the wrinkles away.

But be careful -- Downy Wrinkle Releaser, under the right circumstances, casts a phosphorescent glow on (at least my) formal pants when they were in the presence of photographic flashbulbs. :)

Having read most of SableRoses posts I don't think that problem was totally mechanical. ;)

Sorry SR, couldn't resist. :D

Love ya, big guy. Believe me, I didn't discount the partial possibility of Operator Error... still, irons are bad, and to this day I contend that I am never to use one to press any article of clothing, ever again. Stang doesn't buy that, though.

But be careful -- Downy Wrinkle Releaser, under the right circumstances, casts a phosphorescent glow on (at least my) formal pants when they were in the presence of photographic flashbulbs. :)

SableRose, I believe if I were you I would send my formal wear out to the cleaners too. Looks like you have all kinds of problems in getting your formal wear wrinkle free. But be ware, with your luck, the cleaners will probably loose it and then oh my, well I guess you could take a pair of blue jeans.:eek: You really have to try to mess those up. :D

SableRose, I believe if I were you I would send my formal wear out to the cleaners too. Looks like you have all kinds of problems in getting your formal wear wrinkle free. But be ware, with your luck, the cleaners will probably loose it and then oh my, well I guess you could take a pair of blue jeans.:eek: You really have to try to mess those up. :D

The wrinkles were, actually, my own fault. I purchased the formal outfits through a catalog, and tried them on long enough to make sure they fit, and then did not send them to the dry cleaners to get pressed before packing for the cruise. So they had the creases in them from when they were folded at the catalog warehouse, and I just figured I would lickety split like a jiff, iron them onboard the ship. The two pair of pants were identical but different colors... so they both had the same creasing problem. Some forethought on my part may have saved me the creases. :D

When we cruised on the Celebration out of galveston in 2004, I brought a travel iron with me. I know it was really not allowed, but I have tried to use the wrinkle releaser stuff before and was never really satisfied with it. I always made sure it wasn't hot anymore before storing it away in a drawer. But I had this so cute outfit to wear out in Coz that nite and it is kind of a lite cottony fabric that just really needs ironing to look good. I packed it in my suit case in it's box it came in and no one said anything. i figured it was worth the try and if they took if from me I would just be wrinkly that nite! worked out perfect!

Are you sure that glow wasn't coming from you and not the pants?? :D If I remember correctly that was a great dinner....:rolleyes:

Irons, heating pads and other heating devices are not allowed on board for the simple reason that the power supply on board does fluctuate quite dramatically as the generating engines are switched on or off.

Devices such as these are much more susceptible to overheating and fusing (as they already generate heat) and are thus considered a fire hazard

(As a side note, this power fluctuation is also one of the reasons why cabins are rarely equipped with alarm clocks, as this causes them to speed up and slow down making them innaccurate)

.......I brought a travel iron with me. I know it was really not allowed.......

Oh, and you're so proud of the fact that 'you got away with it?'

But I had this so cute outfit to wear out in Coz that nite and it is kind of a lite cottony fabric that just really needs ironing to look good.

How 'so cute' would your outfit have been sitting in a lifeboat after your iron caused a circuit overload and started a fire?

....and no one said anything. i figured it was worth the try .......

Your cabin steward wasn't doing his job. He should have taken the iron away. Many stewards do that.

The laundry rooms on Carnival ships are there for a reason.......Iron in there next time.:rolleyes:

I brought an iron before and it flagged my bag at embarkation. I had to go to the pursers desk before we left port to open my suitcase. They wouldn't even store it on the ship - they brought it ashore and told me I could pick it up after the cruise. I never did - never liked it anyway.

The worst part was that when I opened the bag for the iron, they saw the case of beer I had packed in there, and confiscated it too. But, it showed up in my cabin on the last afternoon on the boat. It never saw the port!!!:p

It is a wattage problem and not a heat problem. The cabins are wired together, and a couple ironing at the same time could be disasterous. When the electric for your house is designed, they figure you won't be running but so many heavy appliances at the same time. If I'd thought about it that way before I wouldn't have tried.

The Downy wrinkle remover works great on most things like golf shirts and such. It also seems to work on everything my wife brings, and I end up just ironing my shirts for formal night.

The laundry rooms aren't anything special, but the irons work OK. AND, I've had the opportunity to talk with some very nice people waiting in line.

I recall that being asked before. Consensus was that it's still considered an iron.

Another way to get wrinkles out:

Turn the shower on really hot, then turn it off. Hang your clothing in the bathroom, then shut the door for a few minutes. Your clothing will be steamed and wrinkle-free.:)

I recall that being asked before. Consensus was that it's still considered an iron.

Another way to get wrinkles out:

Turn the shower on really hot, then turn it off. Hang your clothing in the bathroom, then shut the door for a few minutes. Your clothing will be steamed and wrinkle-free.:)

Thanks Cotton,

I just bought that silly thing now I think Im going to leave it at home after reading this thread..... Only nine days to go:D

Archived