Help!! Playa Mia Beach

CaribCruiser714

• 1 month later...

I was there in July and thought it was great. I was actually on a cooking excursion which took place at Playa Mia. The rest of my group spent the day on the beach and loved it. While they were there they kayaked and went on the banana boat.

hi

i just returned from cozumel and spent the better part of my day at playa mia. had awesome weather. docked at punta lagosta pier (first carnival 4 day cruise to dock since WILMA) i had a great time, they are still doing construction work to make things better at the entrance but the beach area and facilities are in great shape. i got the all inclusive, $42 for buffet, all you can drink and snorkel/towel, non-powered beach toys. it was a great deal. they even have an open bar right at the buffet. everyone was very nice, i got massage on beach from nice woman, rode the jet ski's (very fun) and parasailed. i also snorkeled around the underwater mayan city, saw a lot of cool fish. it was my first visit there but i could have spent several days at playa mia. oh yeah, and it WAS NOT crowded like alot of paradise beach goers claim. :rolleyes: i would estimate 75% of the beach chairs were not used and their were 3 other ships in port that day. needless to say everyone was happy to see us and treated us great. hope you enjoy your trip as much as i did.

hi

i just returned from cozumel and spent the better part of my day at playa mia. had awesome weather. docked at punta lagosta pier (first carnival 4 day cruise to dock since WILMA) i had a great time' date=' they are still doing construction work to make things better at the entrance but the beach area and facilities are in great shape. i got the all inclusive, $42 for buffet, all you can drink and snorkel/towel, non-powered beach toys. it was a great deal. they even have an open bar right at the buffet. everyone was very nice, i got massage on beach from nice woman, rode the jet ski's (very fun) and parasailed. i also snorkeled around the underwater mayan city, saw a lot of cool fish. it was my first visit there but i could have spent several days at playa mia. oh yeah, and it WAS NOT crowded like alot of paradise beach goers claim. :rolleyes: i would estimate 75% of the beach chairs were not used and their were 3 other ships in port that day. needless to say everyone was happy to see us and treated us great. hope you enjoy your trip as much as i did.[/quote']

tip:taxi's tried to charge more ($18) for 3 people since ship was docked downtown but i talked them down to $14.

We have seen pictures of the beach chairs at Playa Mia.

How comfortable are they ?

They look like they are hard to get in and out of.

If you get the deluxe package, do you get a umbrella with your beach chair ?

Also, do they have small tables with chairs available on the beach ?

Thank you for any information.

Questions I was on the web site and can not find any prices..any body know...

I'm still thinking PB but would really like to snorkle and we are the on a black out day with them,

and would like to find just one place and do it all, beach, snorkle, kids stuff, beach, beach , beach you get my drift

DH, gets off the ship and I have to find one place and place him there for the day if he thinks he has to move..he does not get off the ship

Help where do I go for the day

Tina

Questions I was on the web site and can not find any prices..any body know...

I'm still thinking PB but would really like to snorkle and we are the on a black out day with them,

and would like to find just one place and do it all, beach, snorkle, kids stuff, beach, beach , beach you get my drift

DH, gets off the ship and I have to find one place and place him there for the day if he thinks he has to move..he does not get off the ship

Help where do I go for the day

Tina

This is the response I got about the PB tour, no mention of black outs.

Hello from Cozumel,

We would like to introduce the new Paradise Snorkel tour which takes you to sail and snorkel in a state of the art 65 ft. sailing catamaran to the two finest locations for snorkeling in Cozumel Island: Palancar Reef and Colombia Reef.

Your Paradise Snorkel Tour departs from the Paradise Beach pier located in the south beach area of Cozumel which is the best beach area in the island about 15-20 minutes away by driving from downtown and the ships piers.

Your ticket does include visiting two different reefs for snorkeling, professional instruction, first class snorkel equipment, friendly and expert bilingual snorkel guides and of course free margaritas and soft drinks onboard for just $35 USD per person plus $2 USD marine park fee (you will receive an official bracelet as proof of your contribution to the preservation of Cozumel's coral reef)

Entrance to Paradise Beach is free with your tour reservation; the place is reputed to be the best beach club in Cozumel and offers optional delicious food a la carte and a wide variety of beverages plus hammocks, kayaks, iceberg, trampoline and other amenities with additional cost

The tour departure days are Monday through Saturday starting at 12:30 hrs from Paradise Beach and returning at 2:30 p.m. (Cozumel time) to the same place; to reserve your spaces please reply to this E-mail including your name, number of seats, and tour date required. snorkeltour@paradisecozumel.com

Looking forward to see you onboard the Paradise Snorkel sailing catamaran soon.

Emigdio

Paradise Snorkel

Marketing

ok, PB Tom emailed me and told me that on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving there was no snorkle trip planned..... because of blackout on this day??

Tina

I stand corrected, Wednesday are hit and miss, email prior to going, that way you will know for sure.

Below is from an e-mail sent to me from Playa Mia on 09/28/2006

Playa Mia® is a beach park where you can enjoy lots of fun activities, such as, kayaks, paddle boats, water trampoline, parasailing, wave runners, snorkeling and scuba diving, hair braiding, temporary tattoos, rock climbing wall, bungee trampoline, Hobiecats, freshwater swimming pool, floating mats and Aquatic Iceberg, to name a few.

We are in the process of activating the reservations service through our website, however you will be able to make purchases at the gate entrance at this time.

Our park hours are from 09:00 a.m. to 06:00 p.m. CST, Monday through Saturday. We are open Sunday when a cruise ship is in port.

The entrance packages available at the gate of the park are as follows:

- BASIC $ 12.00 USD (tax included)

- FIESTA $ 35.00 USD (tax included)

- PREMIUM $ 42.00 USD (tax included)

Prices are for adults and children. Children age 2 and under enter free.

The differences between the packages are listed below:

Basic package: Entrance to park, sun chair, all non-motorized water sports and park facilities.

Fiesta package: Basic + unlimited domestic open bar (draft beer, bottled water, soft drinks, Margaritas, Rum Punch, Piña Coladas, Daiquiris in assorted flavors, Rum, Tequila, Vodka, Brandy, Mezcal, fruit juices and coffee.)

Premium package: Fiesta + International buffet, towel & snorkel equipment (mask,fins & snorkel)

Minimum age for consumption of alcoholic drinks in the country of Mexico is 18. Identification is required.

Taxis are available from downtown and the piers and should be from $ 15.00 to $ 20.00 USD one way for up to 4 persons. We have taxis available at our gate when you are ready to return. You should allot a minimum of 15 minutes for your return trip to downtown from our park.

Credit / debit cards with Visa or Mastercard and American Express, U.S. and Mexican currency and travelers checks are accepted at our entrance and restaurants.

A description of each package can be found on our website at www.playamia.com under THE PARK; PACKAGES.

Food and drinks are available for purchase seperately if not purchasing an inclusive package. The International buffet is $12.00 USD per person and is available Monday through Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. CST. Soft drinks & bottled purified water are $ 2.00 USD each. Other food and drinks having varying prices.

Life jackets are available near the non-motorized water toys, which are included in your entrance package.

BEACH UMBRELLAS are available for rent: $ 5.00 USD refundable deposit required and $ 4.00 USD for daily rental per umbrella.

BEACH TOWEL rental is available: $ 5.00 USD refundable deposit required and $ 3.00 USD daily rental fee per towel.

LOCKERS are available for daily rental: $ 5.00 USD refundable deposit required and $ 3.00 rental per locker.

OUTDOOR MASSAGE: $ 45.00 USD for 30 minutes or $ 80.00 USD for a full hour.

SNORKEL equipment is available from our Marina in order to experience our Underwater Mayan City located in the ocean just off our private beach. Snorkel gear is available for rent for $ 12.00 USD per person. Rental includes mask, fins & snorkel. Guests are allowed to bring own equipment.

ROCK WALL CLIMBING is $ 8.00 USD per climb. Shoe rental is $ 2.00 USD.

We have the following guided tours available from the Playa Mia® Marina:

BANANA BOAT rides are $ 12.00 USD per person per trip. Each round trip is approximately 15 minutes.

GLASS BOTTOM BOAT tours are $27.00 USD per person per tour. Price includes marine park taxes, bottled water, soft drinks and professional guide. Tour is approximately 1&1/2 hrs. Subject to availablility.

PARASAILING is $ 55.00 USD per 10 minute flight. Price doubles for tandem*. $ 15.00 USD for an observer traveling in the boat.

* Tandem available depending on weather conditions and weight of persons.

SCUBA DIVING prices are as follows:

Playa Mia® Park has dive operators affiliated with PADI; we have full professional equipment including three dive boats.

The diving packages are as follows:

1. ONE TANK DIVE / FULL EQUIPMENT - Includes: full professional equipment, divemaster/instructor, dive boat with first aid kit equipment (DAN equipment on board), and purified bottled water. $ 75.00 USD per passenger.

2. TWO TANK DIVE / FULL EQUIPMENT - Includes: full professional equipment, divemaster/instructor, dive boat with first aid kit equipment (DAN equipment on board), and purified bottled water. $ 85.00 USD per passenger.

3. ONE TANK DIVE / NON-EQUIPMENT - Includes: divemaster/instructor, dive boat with first aid kit equipment (DAN equipment on board), and purified bottled water. $ 55.00 USD per passenger.

4. TWO TANK DIVE / NON-EQUIPMENT - Includes: divemaster/instructor, dive boat with first aid kit equipment (DAN equipment on board), and purified bottled water. $ 65.00 USD per passenger.

5. DISCOVER SCUBA / RESORT (One tank, No Certification required) - Includes: full professional equipment, instruction, divemaster/instructor, dive boat with first aid kit equipment (DAN equipment on board) and purified bottled water. $ 85.00 USD per passenger.

You can choose one (for one tank dive) or two reefs (for two tank dive) from the following sites:

- Palancar Reef

- Colombia Reef

- Santa Rosa Reef (80 feet / deep dive)

- San Francisco Reef (80feet / deep dive)

- Paso del Cedral (50 feet)

- San Clemente Reef (40 feet )

- Yucab Reef

- Tormentos Reef

All the reefs are DRIFT dives and we can dive according to your experience.

If you choose a third tank, add $ 40.00 USD to the 2 tank dive package price.

Shore diving is allowed at our beach.

Please, provide us the name, diver certification number (PADI, NAUI, SSI) and date of the last dive of each person interested.

SNORKELING tour pricing:

SINGLE REEF SNORKEL - Includes Marine park taxes, snorkeling equipment (mask, fins, snorkel and snorkeling safety vest), bottled water, beer and professional guide. Tour is approximately 1 hour in length.

Snorkel sites available:

Cardona, San Clemente or Yucab

Price: $27.00 USD per person

TRIPLE REEF SNORKEL - Includes Marine park taxes, snorkeling equipment (mask, fins, snorkel and snorkeling safety vest), bottled water, beer and professional guide. Length of tour is approximately 2 & 1/2 hours.

Snorkel sites available:

Cardona, San Clemente, Yucab Bajo, Palancar, Colombia, El Cielo, Corona or Chankannab

Price: $45.00 USD per person

We also have WAVE RUNNERS for rent:

We have late model, two-seater wave runners that seat one to two persons. Minors under 18 years of age require the accompaniment of an adult. Following are the different pricings:

15 MIN. = $35.00 USD

30 MIN. = $60.00 USD

45 MIN. = $80.00 USD

60 MIN. = $110.00 USD

No reservation required for activities.

Is There a charge to get into Paradise Beach? I was there last December(we were the 2nd cruise ship after the hurricane) It was free. I only thought Playa Mia charged? I had a great time, going in 21 days and wanted to head back there.

Paradise Beach is still the same no charge to enter, and $9 if you use the water toys.

If you go to Playa Mia only get the basic entrance. I wouldn't want to eat the food there,although they have signs on everything that says 'prepared hygenically'.

The pool was NASTY.

The beach was ok,crowded of course,but it was fine for a day. I'm still looking for something a bit more upmarket.

On the plus side,the staff there all helpful and seemed nice.

We were at Playa Mia on November 10. An elderly gentleman suffered what appeared to be a cardiac arrest while we were there. Unsure of what ship he was from, but his wife said they were celebrating their 50th anniversary that day. Does anyone know anything about it? I am an EMT and went over to try to help, as well as several other Americans, one of whom was a Paramedic. Really want to know the outcome if anyone knows???

OHHHH.....I am in shock right now. I work in a high school and the talk this week is about another employees father dying on a cruise ON his 50th anniversary:(

(oh....just reread your post....so sorry to have to tell you that he passed away:()

Sorry to hear that he passed away. I was pretty sure that he was deceased when they left the beach with him. Too bad that they did not have an AED (Automatic Electronic Defib.) on the beach or in the ambulance that was on standby in the parking lot. We asked several times for one, but the Mexican employees of the beach either did not know what it was or they didn't have one. They delayed starting CPR too. We tried several times to start CPR, but the Mexican employees in charge refused to let us stating "NO CPR". Please give my sympathy to your co-worker.

Went back to work after lunch to find out that the mans daughter came in to work today as he is not back from Mexico yet. I do not personally know her but if the opportunity arises to let her know that you send condolenses I will but I wont bring it up myself. I do not want to intrude into a very sad and private time and I think it would upset her more to read your last post.

From what I have gathered he was jet skiing and told his wife he was not feeling well right before the arrest.

Very, very sad...even though I do not know her personally she has always been smiling and friendly.

Okay..I have been thinking about this all afternoon. I dont know if I am reacting appropriately given the circumstances. At the risk of sounding like an idiot on a public message board that I have only just starting utilizing......

Would you want me to give her this website in case she would want to "talk" to you? If it was MY father or husband I think I might want that information (not right now but eventually).

It really is a sad situation and such a painful loss for the family. But I'm sure he was smiling and enjoying his time on the cruise celebrating.

This is yet one more situation that unfortunately requires reminding people to get travel insurance. If without coverage, his wife probably flew home from Mexico at her own expense and had the cost to bring her husband home after his untimely death as another challenge. You just never know.

Vellamint,

Absolutely give her this website if you feel that it is appropriate. I was there and saw the whole thing. In fact, I spoke to the wife and tried to console her as best I could. What a nightmare to have to go through that in a foreign country. i just feel so bad for her and the rest of the family and wish that there was more that I could have done.

Sorry to hear that he passed away. I was pretty sure that he was deceased when they left the beach with him. Too bad that they did not have an AED (Automatic Electronic Defib.) on the beach or in the ambulance that was on standby in the parking lot. We asked several times for one, but the Mexican employees of the beach either did not know what it was or they didn't have one. They delayed starting CPR too. We tried several times to start CPR, but the Mexican employees in charge refused to let us stating "NO CPR". Please give my sympathy to your co-worker.

Sorry to hear the circumstances and sympathy to the family. It emphases the risks traveling to third world countries. It is a shame if his life could have been saved if the Mexican emergency system could have reacted or the beach been better prepared.

Archived