Latest from Galveston hotels

Lamar Cheeks

Got in at Commodore on the beach for 69 a night for Saturday night in late March. That's a pretty sweet price. It's posted at 110, but got it by calling direct.:D

Also, the Galvez is 179 a night but they'll upgrade you to oceanview, which is regularly 229.

Holiday Inn on the Beach says they are full, but said to call back in late Feb. and they'd probably get you in.

All three have shuttle service to the pier (for 10 bucks a room) and free parking; Galvez has security parking for the week.

We stayed at the Ramada Inn. We got it for a very reasonable price off of galveston.com website for $63 ( I probably would not pay more then this since we came in late and only needed a bed for the night). The hotel was clean and check-in/checkout went smoothly. Since we flew in and had the limo drop us off we grabbed a snack from across the street right on the water. There is a Wendys next door and a liquor store next to it that was closed by 10pm, the tattoo place was open for any of you that would like to get a new one celebrate your cruise. Dominos pizza is next to that. Next to this is the visitors center where we caught a trolley for a $1 a person to take us to the pier/strand area, we met a nice local lady with her daughters that would point out some interesting buildings and give us the history of the area if you sit towards the front close to the driver you will also give a bit of a history tour too. We travel light so we did not have a problem with being on the opposite side of the island. We found a Starbucks directly across from the ship we proceeded to have the worst Mochas and Cinnamon Leche in our life. It took 20 minutes for us to even get them after we ordered and trust me we have been to busier Starbucks and not have to wait that long, when we did get them my cinnamon leche had no espresso in it, my husbands mocha had no chocolate lots of espresso with a little foam, since we did not want to fight the line again we actually poured out half and mixed each others together so that both of us would have some caffeine. We basically had a cinnamon latte. The coffee on the ship did not seem so bad since we had just had the worst Starbucks experience of our life.

Since we were going to have to pay 80 bucks to park at the pier, i figured any hotel that would let us store our cars and shuttle us to the pier would be worth an extra 75 bucks a night, so i was prepared to pay in the 125 range ... and was surprised the commodore was so reasonable.

anyway, i'm saving money for a cruise by NOT spending $3.50 a day at Starbucks ... I figger i drop 500 bucks a year on fancy coffee, and I ain't gonna do it no more!! (except for special occasions, like when my boss is buying)

Archived