Getaway - 2021 - Italy/Greece

Treacher1

I see the Getaway is sailing Italy/ Greece cruise in 2021 (May).  I was just curious if ALL ports of call would have to be tendered for this larger ship.  I wish the smaller ships would be doing this itinerary as less passengers to get on and off at each port of call.  I see smaller ships going this year and 2020 - was hoping another smaller ship would sail for 2021.  Time will tell - maybe something will surface later.

There is likely to be another ship in the area. In 2020 the Getaway and Dawn are in the Med. I’ve not looked at the 2021 itineraries yet, so can’t comment on the changes to the ports the Getaway is visiting compared to 2031

As for tendering, I’m not sure how much difference the ship size will make. For those ports where you can dock I would have thought that the Getaway can get in. Maybe there are some ports where a bigger ship will be a problem, but can’t instantly think of many. Maybe Kotor?

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy: Dock

Kotor, Montenegro: Tender

Dubrovnik, Croatia: Dock

Corfu, Greece: Dock

Santorini, Greece: Tender

Mykonos, Greece: Dock or Tender (One berth available)

Piraeus (Athens), Greece: Dock

Naples, Italy: Dock

Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy: Dock

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy: Dock

The Getaway is doing 10 and 11 night Italy/Greece itineraries starting in the summer of 2020, I believe, and the itineraries are essentially identical to the 2021 itineraries (except there is one in 2020 doing Athens, but none of the other 2020 or 2021 itineraries visit Athens).  So we will have to keep an eye on how docking and tendering goes in 2020, but it isn't as though the Getaway is going to Venice. 

So yes, the 2021 itineraries look very similar to the 2020 ones.

Personally, I don’t think tendering will be an issue at these ports. Obviously Santorini is a definite tender port whatever the ship, and it is always possible in Kotor and Mykonos if there are multiple ships in port. Kotor is the only one that I think may struggle to dock the Getaway. I’m not saying it can’t, but it’s not a particularly big area.

Rome, Naples and Livorno has the Epic arriving weekly, which is bigger than the Getaway. I’ve only ever been to Dubrovnik, Corfu and Athens on smaller ships, but they all have good sized docks so I don’t think there will be any problem there.

The additional number of passengers way have a bit of an impact. Santorini gets very crowded anyway (I think I would stay onboard there), as does Dubrovnik, and Kotor is a quite small so could get a bit overwhelmed.

Edited by KeithJenner

• 1 month later...

We just booked the Getaway for the Italy/Greece cruise for May 28, 2020.  Did a similar itinerary in June 2016 on RC Jewel of the Seas.  Really looking forward to visiting Naples (did a shore excursion to the Amalfi Coast, Santorini & Mykonos again. Never been to Kofor, Croatia or Corfu so that will be nice!  Can't wait!