mamas fish house

alec n

Which ship and where are you coming into Maui? If you're coming into Kahului, it's a 15-20 minute cab ride away (and possibly a little longer if there's rush hour traffic - there seems to be more of this lately). If you're coming into Lahaina, give yourself an hour + (maybe even an hour and a half if you're going for dinner and it's a weekday with rush hour) and you'll probably need a rental car since a cab would be prohibitively expensive.

Spleen

spleen we will be on celebrity summit. mar 21we will be in maui . we wont have much time but we want to take a small drive on the road to hana. we are only there fr 7-3 i really want to do lunch at mamas what do you think? in our book it says lahaina maui

alec n: You asked Spleen, but I'll give it a shot. If you get off the ship immediately and go the the car rental agency (which is up the island several miles, away from where you want to go, but not too long a drive), you could be on the ride by 8 am. It will take you a minimum of 45 to get to the start of the road to Hana, so around 9 am you should be able to head down the road to Hana. If you want to have lunch at Mama's, you will have to be there around noon. (I don't know about reservations for lunch, how crowded it is, or how long the wait might be; I'm assuming you'll get right in, and you will be rather rushed.) You need to be returning the car about 2 (here I'm assuming the last tender is at 2:30 for a 3 pm departure). So, you need to leave Mama's about 1 in order to give yourself enough time to get back across the island.

You won't be able to get all that far along the road, especially if you make any stops for scenery--and that is the point of the road, the stopping and sightseeing. IMO (and I stress, this is just that), the first part of the road to Hana isn't all that interesting. If the timeline works for you and it's what you are truly interested in doing, then you should go ahead and do it. Just keep in mind that you will be watching your watch the whole time.

With such a short day, I suggest that you look into other sightseeing, such as Iao Valley/Needle, the aquarium, any of the beaches north of Lahaina (you'll pick up your car in that area anyway). You could do some scenic touring upcountry (Kula, etc.) or drive up Haleakala first thing--it's beautiful.

We've not eaten lunch at Mama's (dinner is unbelievably amazing though). We have heard they have the best lunch time fish and chips on the island. The view is pretty too.

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time.

beachchick

I agree with beachchick. I'd even go as far to say that with that schedule, I'd probably skip the road to Hana all together and probably wouldn't even bother leaving West Maui. I'd probably hang out on Kaanapali Beach or if you wanted to snorkle, I'd head up towards Kapalua and go snorkeling at Honolua (or for that matter at Kaanapali at Black Rock).

Life's too short on vacation to be rushing. ;)

Spleen

I agree with beachchick. I'd even go as far to say that with that schedule, I'd probably skip the road to Hana all together and probably wouldn't even bother leaving West Maui. I'd probably hang out on Kaanapali Beach or if you wanted to snorkle, I'd head up towards Kapalua and go snorkeling at Honolua (or for that matter at Kaanapali at Black Rock).

Life's too short on vacation to be rushing. ;)

Spleen

Indeed! And even more so when you're in Hawaii.:D

I had thought of recommending that they stay on the Lahaina side. I'm glad you did because it really would be the smart thing to do. It would be my choice, even though we love Mama's. It's pretty far away to do with that time frame, and I imagine that it can get pretty crowded right around lunch time. There are some great places to eat closer to Lahaina.

beachchick

Archived