Upcoming Explorer of the Seas Trip

Tarius

We will be cruising on the Explorer at the end of February. The plan is to go diving as much as the funds allow! Most likely 2 to 3 of the stops. Has anyone experienced this cruise and had any luck with most of the ports being tendered? Tendering takes time and time doesn't seem to be on our side!

28-Feb Belize City, Belize 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Tendered

01-Mar Costa Maya, Mexico 7:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

02-Mar Cozumel, Mexico 7:00 AM 5:00 PM Tendered

03-Mar George Town, Grand Cayman 9:30 AM 5:30 PM Tendered

We definately want to do Cozumel, and George Town seems the logical choice to see a stingray!

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A little more information, this cruise originates in Miami on February 26th and ends there on March 5th. Let me know if you are on it.

We were to make that trip last year. Hurricanes changed our itenery.

I set up my own dives. We were going to dive with BlueAngel in Cozumel bluangel@fidmail.com, Neptune Divers in Grand CAyman neptunes@neptunesdivers.com, and Sea Sports Belize.

In trying to set things up, Blue Angel and Neptune divers were accomodating and willing to dive where we wanted to go. Sea Sports Belize was not. They havd a small boat and even if we were 3/4 of the divers or more, they went where they wanted to go and our input was meaningless to them. I did not like that, but given that I had waited too long to book, they were all that was left. Maybe they already had the boats booked, but they told me that they would have to get another DM and boat to accomodate us. If that was true, then unless the conditions warranted otherwise, they should have been willing to go where we needed to go within time constraints.

Belize has excellent diving with lush corals and lots of marine life. I've heard that the best way to dive there is by booking through the ship where they will pick you up and drop you off AT the ship instead of having to tender. Hugh Parkley's is the operator that caters to the cruise ship passengers and he's quite a highly recommended operator in his own right.

Also, although Belize is a gorgeous country with wonderful people, Belize City is a slum IMO and not worth spending time in. If you decide to get off the boat in Belize (and not dive), definitely do a tour inland to do the cave tubing or ATM tour (if it's offered). Inland Belize is a lush country and definitely worth your time.

After spending almost 2 weeks in Belize including a week on a liveaboard on Belize's reef system, I'd definitely recommend it as a great place to visit and dive.

Archived