2 teenage girls cruisin on visions of the sea

peggylee

Walkie Talkies are a great idea. We'll take those along also. It is nice to

know there is some kind of cerfew for juniors as I know I will hear "but

everyone else gets to stay out past midnight, they can stay out all night" thing, but oh well, I can be tough when I have to be.

I am not worried about the port days as we have family stuff planned in

each. Is there anyone else going April 2-9? Just wondered.

bplazo - I'm so glad to hear that everything is working out between you and your daughter, and that I could help you with that!

No one is perfect. Your daughter isn't, I'm not, you aren't and my mother isn't. But, even though it can sometimes feel confining to the teenager, there's a stability for both parent and child when you set up rules and consequences and follow through with them. Then, the parent doesn't have to worry as much about, "What will I do if Junior does this, or does that? How will our family deal with it?" and the teenager doesn't think as much about, "I wonder if I can get away with this, or with that? I wonder if my mom will just get over it if I do this one thing?" because both parties understand how it will be no matter what.

I know it sucks a lot for the teenagers and they might complain (like I definitely have) but in the end, that kind of stability and security will make everything a lot easier because you aren't wasting time and energy arguing - both of you know what the deal is! And that may mean your child calling you on it when you don't keep your end of a bargain, or when you randomly change the rules on a whim. You both carry a responsibility to the other, I think. I've put my mom through a lot, and I think she deserves to enjoy our cruise that she is spending her money on, so even if I disagree with the rules, once they are set, I hope I will abide by them, out of respect for her, just like I hope she will be reasonable about things, out of respect for me.

• 1 month later...

My first cruise for me happened when I was a teenager (17, I think). My parents would let me do pretty much whatever I wanted to on the ship and in port I would be with them (with the exception of Disney's private island- I was allowed to go alone or with my sister to places). They didn't set any curfews, but they didn't need to as I was pretty good about coming back at a decent hour. I also ate most of the meals with them and enjoyed going to theater shows, etc. with them. I didn't "check in" with them regularly, but we did talk a lot about what we were going to do each day so they had some idea of what I would be up to.

Never had any problems, but my parents and I have a good relationship. They know that I'm not the crazy druggie type or spending all nights with the boys kind of person.

My family is going cruising again in May, and since I'm 22 and an adult who hasn't lived at home for 4 years, I'm free to do whatever I'd like to, including in the ports (although since it is a family vacation, I plan to spend a good chunk of the time with family).

Really, when it comes to the rules, I think it's important to discuss them with your kids beforehand and to come up with rules you both can live with and respect.

My first cruise for me happened when I was a teenager (17, I think). My parents would let me do pretty much whatever I wanted to on the ship and in port I would be with them (with the exception of Disney's private island- I was allowed to go alone or with my sister to places). They didn't set any curfews, but they didn't need to as I was pretty good about coming back at a decent hour. I also ate most of the meals with them and enjoyed going to theater shows, etc. with them. I didn't "check in" with them regularly, but we did talk a lot about what we were going to do each day so they had some idea of what I would be up to.

Never had any problems, but my parents and I have a good relationship. They know that I'm not the crazy druggie type or spending all nights with the boys kind of person.

My family is going cruising again in May, and since I'm 22 and an adult who hasn't lived at home for 4 years, I'm free to do whatever I'd like to, including in the ports (although since it is a family vacation, I plan to spend a good chunk of the time with family).

Really, when it comes to the rules, I think it's important to discuss them with your kids beforehand and to come up with rules you both can live with and respect.

This was really well said. And those of you who discussed that PARENTS also have a responsibility to keep up their end of the bargain were so right, too. The responsibility to live up to one's word is everyone's, not just the teenager's.

Meet up on occassion and eat together. They will want some space but I don't think you should loose the dogs, so to speak. Also have a time they need to be in the cabin each night and sit on them if you have to :)

Archived