Just Back from 1/21 POAM report

Hawaiibound1/21

We just arrived back form our 1/21 cruise and I would like to report our findings, as we sure appreciated reading these boards before we went. We had a group of 8 and our age range was 12-79. If you have a group of 2 all might not apply.

We had 10502 an owners suite and the 3 inside rooms across the hall. We had plenty of room for all to enjoy the balcony and hot tub. The room was wonderful. We had breakfast there each morning, one lunch and four dinners. Our butler John and our room stewardess Eva were wonderful You could not ask for better people than these. If you have a large group this is the room for you. There was seating at tables for 8. There were chairs or loungers on the balcony for 8.

We rented cars at each port from Thrifty. The service was wonderful and the people were very nice. Prebook with the blue chip service and all will be fine. We really enjoyed just relaxing so we were off the boat between 9-10 am we would call them and they would alert a driver to pick us up. Our one problem was our own. We did not prebook the last day in Honolulu. When we got off the ship it took us an hour to obtain a car due to their high volume rentals on cruise days. They book out by 11am. Renting ahead is definitly the way to go.

Eating in the room was the way to go for us. We ate at the Liberty and Skyline rooms only once each. We had reservations for both and still waited a half hour to be seated. It was a 2 hour dinner each time. The presentation was nice. The food was just fair. There was not a whole lot of taste to it. Their seafood was the best chice most of the time. The deserts were nothing to write home about. The best thing we had was the chocolate covered strawberries. The icecreams were good too. The people that served were nice and friendly. We enjoyed talking to them. The Aloha Cafe was where we ate lunch and dinner the first night on the boat. There were many selections to chose from. Sometimes too many as you had to go from counter to counter to find everything. Some help from staff or some signs could be helpful here. There were cooks on the ends of the counters cooking fresh fish or pasta. These were missed by many as people just kept there heads down trying to see what was on the line up. Some signs to find the toaster would have been helpful too. It is back by the condiments on the wall. Again the food looked nice but just not alot of flavor. When they are ready to close they just shut off the lights! Many were still in line to get their dinner and were left in the dark and could not see the selections. When asked to turn on the lights for my seniors I was given a dirty look but the girl complied. Then she turned off the light on me. I found this behavior very rude. You would not have found this on any other ship with European or Asian staff. We are the customer and we do help to pay their saleries so I feel treatment like this is not acceptable.

The only shows we saw were the comedian and the juggler and they were both good. We did not use the spa. We used the golf, basketball and pingpong tables and these were fun. The inroom movie selection and DVD's were fun too.

The whale watching was wonderful. We are still early in the season and we saw them everywhere. We took an excurson with Maui Charters on the four winds 2. It was great and saw turtles and whales. The snorkle to Molikini Crater was change to a coral reef offshore. The fish were still fun. We had lunch included on the trip for 41$ Book online it is cheaper than doing it later. We did the afternoon trip. We saw whales every where but Oahu. Just keep your eyes on the water and you'll see them. Many were breaching out of the water for quite a show. The trip around the volcano at night was great. We were so suprised by how much you can see. The captain did this for both sides of the ship. The Na Pali coast was only done for the portside. This was beautiful scenery. You could imagine the dinisaurs from Jurrasic Park easily!

We found the best things about the new ship was the outside cabin, the look of the ship inside and out, the islands themselves and John and Eva. The worst things about the ship were the lack of taste in the food and the need for manners with some of their younger staff for there customers. Book portside if you can. You get better views from that side of the ship at dock and on the Na Pali coast.

If you have any questions I can answer please ask. The best idea I got from these boards was the Majic Bullet belnder. It was wonderful for margaritas!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading through many of these threads and there is one thing that confuses me. I've seen multiple threads that suggest getting a room on the starboard (right) side and port (left) side for the same reasons (views while in port and sailing). Can anyone clear this up? About ready to put my money down on a 7 day on PoH.

Thanks!

Archived