Trip Report Dawn 1-12-06

Uconnfan

Hi

Ok, so I totally have PCD (post cruise depression), so I am finally going to write my review.

EMBARKATION:

Driving from CT was easy. Got to pier at 1:15. Pretty smooth. About a hour later we were in our room.

CABIN:

obstructed view cabin. Room 8602. Good size for 2 people. Cant see anymore in there though.

The only major problem we encountered was on the first day out, we left our deck chairs for no longer than 15 minutes, and am back and other people were in them, and my reading material was gone. Figured somwone took them. Next day, saw a NCL employee walking around with towels, books and magazines in his hand with a pissed off passenger yelling at him for taking his stuff. Didn't mind the no saving deck chair policy, but at least let the passengers know where your confiscated items are. Spent the rest of the week without my Glamour, Cosmo and Celebrity Smut magazines.

GYM/SPA

LOVED IT! We used it everyday. Waits for elipitcal machines early in the morning though. Friendly staff. Loved the indoor pool and the two indoor hottubs. Very quiet. Also, took advantage of the padded chairs in the relaxation area. Great place to just chill out. Also, my friend had an hour long massage and I had a milk bath and a foot treatment. They do push the products on you though.

INTERNET CAFE:

Found the staff member couldn't really care about individual problems. Said she would get back to us on two seperate issues. Never did. They did have a reduced rate on small usage pakages for the last day. Closes at 11pm the night before unless you have time on your package.

FOOD/BAR

Bar service was great. Nver had problems getting drinks on the pool deck. I did get a soda package, I used it throughout the whole cruise. It was worth it for me.

The first night we at LeBistro for 1/2 price. It was excellent. Had Filet Mignon, Asparagus with Hollandaise, Onion Soup, Ceasar Salad and the chcocolate fondue.

Also, at at Salsa, very good.

Teppanyaki was by far our favorite. Excellent service and food. Great deal. Had ALOT of filet and shrimp for 12.50. Miso soup was good and the salad with ginger dressing was too. Wanted to try the gree tea ice cream and didn't like it at all.

Also, at at Aqua and Impressions. Buffet for breakfast and lunch. Did use the room service a couple of times. Very fast and good.

PORTS:

ST Thomas. Very easy. Took taxi right off the pier to Magens Bay. Loved it. Very clean, Changing facilities, bar, and food. Rented lounge chairs.

Tortola: Used Speedys to go to Virgin Gorda. Went to the Baths. The seas were high, so there was no beach to lay on. Everything was wet. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Left there and went to Cane Garden Bay in Tortola. Very nice.

ST. Maarten

Loved this port the best.Stayed local. Took the water taxi to the beachin front of the shops. Ate at Pirates in Paradise. Very good with beach views.

San Juan:

Thought the imigration check would take forever, but NCL, handdled it very easily.

We didn't like San Juan. Got a taxi to take us to Condado beach. It was very small and had people talking to themselves and comong up to us. It started to shower a little so we went back to the ship.

Nassau:

Took a taxi to Paradise Island. Went to the public beach. It was great till the locals set up shop right next to us. Selling necklaces, hairbrading and alcohol. Very nice until then. Got fed up and went shopping instead.

DEBARKATION:

So easy. Got breakfast. Had express debarkation. We were off the ship by 9:50am. I was home :( by 11am.

I loved this cruise. It was the longest vacation I ever had.NCL was a great match for my friend and I. I would definetly recommend the Dawn to anyone. LOVED it. It was beyond anything I could have imagined.

Tara

:) :) :) :)

I do commiserate with your post cruise blues !! I always get those feelings AFTER ! We are getting ready for the Dawn Feb 12th.

My sincere appreciation for taking the time to post your review.

Smile while you plan your NEXT cruise :cool:

Filomene

Great review; short, sweet, to the point but very informative. Glad you had a great time. Surprised to hear the half price specialty restaurant is still around on the first night; recent cruisers reported it wasn't. Also surprised about the 'no reserving pool chairs' policy being enforced; wish they'd have done that on The Spirit.

Thanks again.:)

The cabin had 2 windows in our cabin. There was a lifeboat directly outside. On one window, all you saw was the boat, on the other one you saw through the boat. We got upgraded, so i guess it was better then an inside.

Tara

I was on this cruise with my husband and two daughters. One daughter got sick and we had to disembark in San Juan and fly home. This was our first cruise and we were all hugely disappointed to have to end it. I can't wait to go again.

I was on this cruise with my husband and two daughters. One daughter got sick and we had to disembark in San Juan and fly home. This was our first cruise and we were all hugely disappointed to have to end it. I can't wait to go again.

So sorry to hear that. Make sure you start making plans for your next cruise:)

Hope your daughter is feeling better.

Filomene

I was on this cruise as well.

The weather could not be much better. The first two days at sea were shockingly tranquil. It's all about the timing. (just ask the folks from the 01/02/06 sailing hehe)

We're going in June and B2B in November. Same ship of course.

Sliding beneath the Verrazano bridge is always a treat especially leaving. We were so lucky it was warm on the 12th. And of course the Statue of Liberty. In June it will be light so long exposures and blurry pix will not be a problem. The fireboats should be "saluting" us as we go by too.

Felt funny hearing the Caribbean music at the terminal while standing in line (just past security) and sweating. I had to keep asking myself are we really in NYC in January or did NCL move the Dawn to MIA? :D

One of my pastimes is storm chasing and usually (the storms) stay far away from camp. I was concerned going on a cruise that the opposite would happen (although we're prepared for it always with a trunkload of equipment LOL) and ruin things. Yeah the little devil on my shoulder says bring on the big seas but the angel says flat seas = nice vacation and happy people. :)

Reviews? Read anyone elses and basically I concur. Nothing bad to say about this itinerary or the ship. Of course we went to Nassau instead of GSC. No big deal for us and nobody was complaining.

RE: The comments about seven days at sea. Yes sea days are my favorite. If something goes amiss I prefer a sea day (or more!) over being tied to the dock. Any true mariner does. ;)

I would love to try out the Jewel as well.

Cheers,

Norman

Archived