i-pods?

Kathy & George

I think that may work for Apple to Apple transfers, but somebody posted on another thread that the resolution is lower on the iPod so that the final picture quality won't be as good as the picture you took if you're transferring to a PC. I would just get a couple of 512k or 1gb memory sticks for the camera and call it good (I'm not a shutterbug so I don't even fill up the 512k that I have).

Actually it works fine. I'm not using the iPod to display the images; indeed, as I shoot Raw images on a Nikon camera which produces .NEF files, they can't be displayed because even the iPod photo can only display .JPG (I believe - certainly was true with the first iPod Photo).

No, the point is to regard the iPod as what it is, underneath that white plastic & bespoke software: a portable hard-drive. I use a Belkin Digital Camera Link which interfaces the CF card to the iPod and does a simple file transfer, without altering the file at all. Then when I get home I can transfer them to the laptop, or my new Mac Mini! I do tend to take a lot of pictures, quite a few hundred, which would fill my CF cards several times over. This way the images are all on the iPod and I can re-use the CF cards without worrying.

I have the older version of the Nano. A few months after I bought mine they came out with the Nano. But, I love it the one I have, i think it is called the mini. Only do music, but don't travel without it. Also great for around the house when you ar doing chores. Awesome for when you are on deck reading.

I have used it with my airline headphones and it works great. Drowns out little kids very well!

Duane

I agree with Tom. My husband has been known to take 1500 pictures on a European vacation. It seems that digital cameras were made for him. We've used the ipod as a storage device but, at first, I couldn't figure out how to transfer the pictures from the ipod to the computer. I think I've got it down now. The first time we used the ipod for storage we also backed everything up with a device called an e-film pad. What a process picture transferring was!

My husband is beginning to get used to "reading with his ears" on the train. I think he'll like it.

My son is using the e-book for a school assigned book--reading with his eyes and ears simultaneously. He says the retention rate is much higher. Interesting concept...

How do you like the Mac Mini?

Actually I love it. I previously had an original 12" Powerbook (867 Mhz), and the Mini is significantly faster that that. Much cheaper, too....

It's one of the 'hidden' new ones. Do a google for 'mac mini late 2005' and you'll find out about a hidden upgrade Apple made to the Mini in September 2005: slightly faster CPU (1.33 & 1.5 Ghz instead of 1.25 & 1.42), faster hard drives (except on the bottom-end machine), & 64 Mbyte graphics ram (again, except on the bottom-end machine). Trouble is, they badge them as if they were old-spec machines, and for quite a while there were indeed old-spec machines still in the delivery channels. So you couldn't complain if that was what you got, you'd just got what Apple marketed. You had to buy in hope. In my case I was fortunate; checking System Profiler told me that I'd got one of the new ones.

Do you know how much it weighs? I've been looking at a 3 pounder for travel.

Do I dare ask this question? It could cost me money. Anyone know of any good deals on iPods. I know I want to be able to select the songs and would like to be able to put maybe 500 songs on.

Do I dare ask this question? It could cost me money. Anyone know of any good deals on iPods. I know I want to be able to select the songs and would like to be able to put maybe 500 songs on.

Try Ebay. I'm sure that, with as many new iPods that have been introduced lately, there are plenty of people willing to part with gently used ones for a lot less than full retail.

The 2GB Nano says that it holds up to 500 songs. The 4GB holds up to 1000 songs and isn't all that much more expensive. I'd go for the maximum your wallet can stand, because you'll always find "just one more" song that you want to have!

Archived