Dining on the Bliss

rsail203

We'll be on the Bliss celebrating on a birthday cruise. I have 2 questions.

1-Which free dining or fee dining restaurant is better for celebrating the birthday.  

2-I've heard and read conflicting reviews of the Cagney Steakhouse on the Bliss. If you've had dinner there on the Bliss, what do you think?

We had a group of 10 for an anniversary celebration, for which we chose Teppanyaki.  Everyone enjoyed it. Fun atmosphere for 3 generations.  They took pictures for us, had a celebration cake and some decorations.  While dining in the MDR, saw several birthdays being celebrated.

On 10/2/2019 at 8:55 AM, rsail203 said:

1-Which free dining or fee dining restaurant is better for celebrating the birthday.  

2-I've heard and read conflicting reviews of the Cagney Steakhouse on the Bliss. If you've had dinner there on the Bliss, what do you think?

We cruised the Bliss in April of this year.  We had a good meal and great service at Cagney's; however, I'm sure it varies from time to time.

For your birthday, are you looking to celebrate with a group, or just maybe 2 or 4 people?  One of our best meals and best service was in Ocean Blue. We had a server (Hazel) who was just amazing.  

For the birthday, there will just be 2 of us. If I tell the waiters about the birthday, will there be a small cake and candle and the waiters singing happy birthday? RNCheryl mentioned seeing celebrations in the MDR.

I had a great experience with the server and food choices in La Bistro.

I can't say the same for the table next to us...they were so drunk it was starting to interfere with everyone's dinner around us. They left soon after the one lady said very loudly that she thinks she is going to be sick...wow can you keep that to yourself and just leave?

Thankfully the food and server was especially positive enough that that outweighed the negative.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:55 AM, rsail203 said:

We were on the Bliss in January.  Loved Ocean Blue and Q.  Didn't care for Cagney's that much.  Q was a great atmosphere with live music in the evening and the food my favorite.  Ocean blue was much nicer and had a little stricter dress code (no shorts) but the food was great.

Any place will be great.  Just beware that a photographer will show up, snap a few photos and then go develop them into slick 8x10's.  The photographer will then reappear with the photos in hand and a hard sell will ensue.  Buy now on the spot for the best deal, one time offer etc.  Really annoying this new trend NCL has to make another nickel and dime.  Most people like to eat dinner in peace, not attend a heavy sales pressure presentation.

10 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Any place will be great.  Just beware that a photographer will show up, snap a few photos and then go develop them into slick 8x10's.  The photographer will then reappear with the photos in hand and a hard sell will ensue.  Buy now on the spot for the best deal, one time offer etc.  Really annoying this new trend NCL has to make another nickel and dime.  Most people like to eat dinner in peace, not attend a heavy sales pressure presentation.

ive always waved and said no thanks and that was that. if you dont pose they cannot get the pic

Any location will be nice, it just depends if you want relaxing or loud and exciting. Just let the waiter know at whatever venue you choose. We enjoyed Cagney's, but some people are expecting the best steak of their lives (in the middle of the ocean) 😉 and its not that good but decent. For a nice quaint birthday dinner Le Bistro or the Haven restaurant would be relaxing casual. 

On 10/3/2019 at 11:50 AM, rsail203 said:

For the birthday, there will just be 2 of us. If I tell the waiters about the birthday, will there be a small cake and candle and the waiters singing happy birthday? RNCheryl mentioned seeing celebrations in the MDR.

In your reservation, did you mention that you would be celebrating a birthday?  If you did, there will be a card in your room for you to present to the Restaurant Hostess at whatever restaurant you choose go to that night.  Yes, you will receive a small cake and they will sing to you.  Ask if they will sing to you in their native languages-- really fun.  When I am on The Getaway for my birthday, I go to Ocean Blue.  If I am on one of the "jewel" class ships, I go to Cagney's.

Los Lobos was the best for us. Great service, really good food., Second would be Teppanyaki. Always a safe choice on NCL

Cagney's... was horrid on our trip. Possibly the worse service we have every had on NCL, and we had a great experience with them on the Escape.