Pan American Dock to San Juan/El Morro

Kmack

Hi. so from reading many posts in this section - I know that Pan American is far from just about anything and therefore we will need a taxi.

We want to do El Morro and Old San Juan. So it is better (economically) to just get a taxi into town and then walk to El morro (is that even do-able).

Or would it be better to take a taxi straight to El Morro?

How far is El Morro on foot from Old San Juan?

TIA

The harbor of San Juan is like a big U. Pan Am pier is on the other side from old San Juan. Take a taxi to El Morro and then walk down into town and see the sights. El Morro is actually on a point and is part of old town (San Cristobal - the other fort is further). We stayed at El Convento 3 days/2 nights precruise and walked in 5 minutes to El Morro (hotel is across the street from cathedral). Also check this out www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp it will give you a good perspective. Old San Juan is only about 15 square blocks.

Again, (I type this alot!) Go to your nearest bookstore and buy Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call (5th edition is latest printing) It has sections on all the ports of the Caribbean AND IS FULL OF INFO including a walking tour of old san juan. You do not have to see it all but lists all the places of interest and where they are etc. etc. Just go look at the book and you will see it is worth the @$15.00.

Wear comfy tennis shoes....up and down on teeny tiny cobble streets.

Have a great time !!

Yeah we don't mind the walk...just trying to figure out if there was a substantial difference in $$ for a taxi to town versus to El Morro. If so, we wouldn't mind the walk since it doesn't look like it is far. Or is it al the same price within San Juan - if so - we might as well take the taxi to El Morro.

Also - we wanted to do the while Bacardi visit and needed to get to Pier 2 from Pan American docks. Should we try to get a taxi from Pan American to Pier 2? Would you know how much that would be? We were thinking of getting Bacardi done first since it requires a ferry and all (and we don't want to save it til the end and risk mising our cruise).

That way, after we return from the Bacardi factory - we can take the free Trolley up to El Morro? And work our way around old san juan and then taxi back to the ship. Does this all sound feasible?

I lost my link to the taxi prices, but the taxi was CHEAP to go from the OSJ pier to El Morro. I think it is pretty reasonable from the Pan Am Pier. We plan to drop off our bags, explore the Serenade and then go up to El Morro.

I'm not sure what time you will be embarking on the ship (Serenade?) but it sounds like you are trying to cram alot into a fairly small amount of time. We could not board until @ 1:00 (late Nov. cruise) and then to get taxi back to El Morro, tour El Morro then walk Old San Juan would be a FULL AFTERNOON. (In the book I recommended it says El Morro closes at 5 p.m.) And that is if you get on and get right back off. We spent an entire morning at the fort. Then to try and fit in a tour of rum factory....hmmmm not sure about that. You will definately be rushing and nothing on the islands move fast - nothing except some of the taxi drivers on the freeway !!!! but traffic in Old San Juan is NOT freeway driving and can be time consuming in itself. I dont think the taxi to fort is more than to osj as it is right there. Only saw one trolley the whole 3 days we were there and we were walking faster than it was going.... not a real option IMO. Also you will be really cutting your time to fully experience San Juan which is too bad as it is unique and a destination worthy of exploring. We feel in love with it and hope to take a week land vacation and explore it some more along with the rest of Puerto Rico. Good luck with whatever you decide and have a super trip !

Archived