Booked for Labour Day Sailing in September (2006) QM2

SanFranBayCruiser

Hi all,

This will be our first experience on Cunard. We've sailed on Celebrity, Crystal, Princess, Royal Caribbean and yes even Carnival. I was on QM2 for a ship inspection with a travel agent friend of mine in 2005 but, I am excited to have the opportunity to actually sail on Queen Mary 2. We were tempted to book a Grill cabin but, opted to stay with the masses since it is such a short voyage. Would someone tell me what to expect as one of the "masses" in a Category B2 (in hull) balcony cabin.

Thank you.

Hi all,

This will be our first experience on Cunard. We've sailed on Celebrity, Crystal, Princess, Royal Caribbean and yes even Carnival. I was on QM2 for a ship inspection with a travel agent friend of mine in 2005 but, I am excited to have the opportunity to actually sail on Queen Mary 2. We were tempted to book a Grill cabin but, opted to stay with the masses since it is such a short voyage. Would someone tell me what to expect as one of the "masses" in a Category B2 (in hull) balcony cabin.

Thank you.

You can probably peruse the Labor Day thread that I started and see if any more information. I suspect that since this is a cruise and not a crossing it will be slightly less formal. However the two sea nights will likely be formal. The night in Halifax will probably informal as is the first night. We are mainly going to see the ship before we commit to anything major. Would have liked to have done the Independence Day cruise but the cost was triple and you only got one more day. Plus that cruise is seriously waitlisted for anything other than pricey balcony cabins.

We were booked on the Celebrity Eastbound Transatlantic April 28th but cancelled and will likely be doing a Holland America out of NYC in April. Also booking on the start of the World Cruise January 2007 may fly back to the UK for the final leg to NYC in April 2007. Friends of ours told us they have a reservation for the maiden voyage of the Queen Victoria which we may consider trying to do as well! So much to do so little time! NOT retired... lol...

QV maiden voyage. WOW .. I was not aware they were taking booking for the planned 2008 sailings yet.

While on QM2 I put a deposit on the QV .. and was told that I would get first chance at the first year of sailings on the QV .. that my 'booking priority' would be given before travel agents were allowed to book.

At the time (on a Crossing in Aug) I was told they were not even certain of the QV's itineraries yet .. so thus the one year option idea.

For a short cruise with the 'masses' the Queens Grill would not really shine as it does on a Crossing. With the anytime dining and the off-menu options as well as the ala carte options in QG it takes a couple of dinners to get things organized! Like that you REALLY want caviar every dinner and that the Duck ala Orange for the entire table is a good idea .. or that some special request is needed for a celebration (they made Shrimp Korma for my birthday which was a real treat).

Archived