Mexican Riviera Questions

sakegato

Hello everyone. I wanted to write to see if anyone has been on the Mexican Riviera cruise lately. It hits Cabo, Puerto Vallerta and Mazatlan. Typically, we do not spend the money on RCCL's Shore Excursions. We went on an Eastern Caribbean cruise two years ago and were told by some people that had been there before a few good spots to hit. (One of them being Pinel Island in St. Maarten, a beautiful island to see if you haven't yet). Anyhow, we just find our own transportation to these spots and do it that way. Now for the question: Does anyone have any "must see" spots in Cabo, Mazatlan or PV? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you -

Allison

In Mazatlan - Randi's Happy Horses. You can do a google search to find her web site. Horseback riding on the beach (it's good even if you've never ridden - like us) and lunch. You get back to the ship around 2, or they'll drop you in the Golden Zone for shopping. You should find all kinds of posts for her in these boards - I don't think I've read a bad one yet. It was a great day.

In PV - there's a tour called San Sebastian by Air. It's kind of pricey (you can get it directly with the operator for a little less). You fly in a Cessna Caravan (Turboprop - 14 pax) to a village in the mountains. You tour an old hacienda, a coffee plantation, go to lunch, and then the town. We found it facinating - real Mexico, not tourist.

In Cabo, you can have a nice beach day at a resort such as the Hotel Finesterra (within walking distance right up the hill across from the pier) or cab to the Hotel Melia. Cruisers are welcome if you buy drinks/food and tip.

We love Randi's in Mazatlan, too. The old downtown area is very interesting!

In PV, we are doing a zipline excursion through Los Veranos and then we're having a couples massage at the Millenium Spa at the Krystal Hotel. This hotel is also often mentioned as a good resort hotel to spend the day at. It's within walking distance of the pier. The Malecon is supposed to be very nice to walk through during the day or night.

We'll be there in less than 3 weeks! Can't wait!

If you want to relax at a pool. In December four of us took the local bus to see the Casa del Mar. Absolutely beautiful grounds with many pools. Very friendly staff. They did not mind at all that we were from the cruise ship. The cost was $5 US total each way. Less if you use pesos. If you do not want to go this far try the Melia by taxi. Good option. This is where we usually go, but I must say the Casa del Mar was steller! On our last trip we met people that did go snorkeling. They said that they saw many fish. Do this on your own. Hire someone off of the ship. I would say find a group of four to go with you. I feel it is a good idea in pairs. However, I have never felt unsafe in Cabo.

Mazatlan: We went to the tequila factory, about 45 minutes out of town. Very small. You are given as much Tequila as you want. Again, hire a van and go with a few others. We had a group of 8. You will still have time to shop in the Golden Zone.

Happy cruisin'

Nancy

:) There are 6 of us going on NCL Star for the first time on the Mexican Riviera and would love to get some input on Manzanillo, Puerto Vall, Mazatlan, & Cabo. We have never sailed the Pacific nor have we ever been to Los Angeles/San Pedro. this is also the first time I have registered and used a message board!!! Let's hear it for trying new and exciting things.

Mazatlan - I went horseback riding w/Randi & DH went deep sea fishing, we set that up before we sailed through private charterer. Had a great ride with Randi.

Puerto Vallarta - got off the ship, walked through the cruise gates and set up a tour with a local taxi operator for $20 each and took DH & I and another couple all over the place for 5 hours.

Cabo - took the water taxi over to the beach and relaxed all day.

Enjoy.

Debbie

Now for the question: Does anyone have any "must see" spots in Cabo, Mazatlan or PV?

Hi, Alison...

I've done the Mexican Riviera cruise three times and have also done "land trips" to PV and other ports...

Here's my advice:

Cabo: This is a spectacular little town...Pastel buildings against a stark desert/mountain backdrop. The "must get" photo is of Los Arcos...it's a rock formation out in the water (You've seen it on most travel brochures for Cabo). You will need to take an excursion or hire a private boat or tour out on the tender dock to take you there...Near Los Arcos is "Lovers' Beach...which is actually a sandbar between a rock and the mainland, making it a two-sided beach...neat place...Cabo itself is the kind of town you can just walk around on your own...If you are more active, there are some decent snorkeling spots or other water-related activities...an interesting bar/restaurant is Cabo Wabo, owned by Sammy Hagar...

Puerto Vallarta: PV is a pretty old fishing village set against a lush jungle backdrop...My favorite excursion here was the "Sierra Madre Unimog Adventure" thing (the name changes)...a 2.5 mile nature hike in the back country and a beach BBQ...But, if you've never been to PV, it is a beautiful town...it's about a $2 per person taxi ride each way from the ship...and downtown is really nice with cobblestone streets, shops, restaurants and a walking promenade along the waterfront...there are several interesting spots south of town...Chico's Paradise and Waterfall, Le Cliff, and the town of Yelapa (which can only be reached by boat)...Mismaloya and "Gringo Gulch" is where the rich and famous have vacation homes (like Liz Taylor)...

Mazatlan: Mazatlan is sort of a big, ugly industrial port city...I'm not thrilled with most of what there is to do here...but the shopping bargains (visit the "Golden Zone" are better than those found in Cabo or PV...For most unathletic tourists, I recommend the "Sierra Madre Tour" which takes you way out of town and up into the mountains to the old Colonial towns of Concordia and Copala...with many interesting stops along the way...For the more athletic, try the Ocean kayaking at Deer Island...it's a quiet secluded island with a nice beach...and a short speed boat ride across to the Golden Zone afterwards...

Good luck and have fun...

We just got back from taking our cruise on RC out of San Pedro and do yourself a favor if your coming in early by a few days , stay in Long Beach as NOTHING to do in San Pedro if you do not rent a car. Visions of the Sea was what we cruised on. Have fun.

lurker:

we recently returned from the mexican riviera cruise...my husband purchased cuban cigars (cohibas and another brand) for approx. $10 each in one of the shops right at the pier in mazatlan. they were for a gift for a friend; we just packed them in our luggage and brought them home. they never checked anyone's bags in immigration/customs in san pedro. he just wrapped them in a sock and put them in his shoe in the middle of his bag.....our friend was thrilled to get them as a b'day gift!!

nancy

• 3 weeks later...
:) There are 6 of us going on NCL Star for the first time on the Mexican Riviera and would love to get some input on Manzanillo, Puerto Vall, Mazatlan, & Cabo. We have never sailed the Pacific nor have we ever been to Los Angeles/San Pedro. this is also the first time I have registered and used a message board!!! Let's hear it for trying new and exciting things.

I didn't find Manzanillo worth getting off the ship for. PTO, take a cab to the down town area & spend a couple hours wandering. I've stayed in PTO twice, so far; really enjoyed myself. On the way back to the ship if you need to replenish your stock of something, have your cab driver drop you off at the WalMart - right across the street from the ships terminal. Then just walk over to your ship; or if necessary (if your arms are full) a quicky cab ride.

One nice thing I've found about PTO, the ride from the terminal to the downtown area is all on the same street - right along the bay. This street is 8 lanes wide; the center two are more or less express lanes, and the outside two are sort of local; but you'll find the cabbies make use of all lanes. You don't have to worry about the cab driver getting you lost. Once you get downtown you can wander around to your heart's content. You HAVE to take the swinging bridge (people only) across the River Quale (pronounced Qual-ee). Lots of times, the local kids will run out onto the bridge and start jumping up and down on it when they see some gringo touristas walking across. Great fun!

Archived