Roatan with Victor Bodden

redhead101

We were early and I really enjoyed being out on deck to take pictures of us rounding the northwestern tip of the island as we came into Coxen Hole to dock. We were quickly cleared and out of the ship.

We didn't book a tour though the ship for this port and I took a reccomendation from the ports of call boards here and booked online with Victor Bodden. It was a choice I will never regret.

One thing though, when I first contacted Victor I only booked him for the original nine of us who were cruising together. We had dinner one night with our friends cousins and families who booked the same ship several months after we did. When we talked about the stop in Roatan and how I had booked Victor, they said it sounded like a good deal and wanted to go.

So I emailed Victor and upped our reservation to 15.

That was 25 dollars a person and a guide with an airconditioned van for the entire day. When we met on the pier to go to meet Victor and his two vans, the other 6 who had me book for them suddenly decided to take a taxi to the beach as they heard it was 15 a person and they didn't want to take the island tour.

I was sooooooooo mad at them for this. It was very unfair to Victor and the other guide he had gotten to back out of the tour they had arranged. When we left the gate, they went directly to the line of taxis to talk to them about going to the beach, while we found Victor. He was not happy as the man he got to take the second van would be out of a days work and he went over to talk to the others in the second party. He ended up charging them 20 dollars a person to take them to a beach, pick them up later for a bit of shopping and then back to the ship. The other group found out, it was 15 dollars a person to the beach and they would have to pay to get back taking the taxis.

Anyway, we got into the van and were off! Victor is an excellent tour guide and ambassador for his home. He clearly loves his island and is proud of his home. He took us for a scenic drive, past several shipwrecks, some good spots for pictures while he told us about Roatan and its history. He was so good about answering any and all questions we had and he was very interested in us also. He asked what we did for a living back home, about where we came from and asked after our families.

He took the five of our group who wanted to do the canopy zip line to the southeast side of the island. When I asked if this was the same as the ship tours went to he said it wasn't. That one was close to a beach where after zipping, they swam and ate I think he said. This canopy tour I heard only had 6 or 8 zips and a couple rope bridges. I hadn't read anywhere here where someone posted about the ship sponsored canopy tour. OUr canopy tour here was 45 dollars, the ships tour, 109.

The canopy tour Victor took us to had 16 zips, 4 bridges and one tunnel, at least that is what the others said, I didn't do this part of our tour. Everyone who went had a blast. We met them at the bottom of the zipline tour where there was a small hut with cold drinks. We got a chance to visit quite a bit with Victor about his family, home and he asked us all those earlier questions I mentioned.

Once we finished the canopy part of the tour, Victor took us early to avoid any crowds, he took us to a resort called Fanatsy Island where we were able to feed the abundant spider monkeys. We stopped along the way to pick up some kind of red furry nuts to feed the monkeys and Victor made sure we recieved a FULL bag of nuts for our dollar. He kept motioning to the street vendor who came up to our van until the bag he had handed Jack was brimming. Jack's son Tanner was so excited at this part of the tour! He is almost three and he was beside himself at being able to feed the monkeys.

I should mention that the monkeys were quite tame and gentle and at no time did I feel uncomfortable with them.

Next we went to the iguana farm where we were surrounded by hundreds of the beasts. Even Tanner enjoyed this part of the tour and I had been concerned that he would freak out when we got there. The only thing- he had a yellow rubber ducky he had gotten on board the ship with him and the iguanas started to rush him. Victor quickly moved in and had Tanner give him the duck, explaining to us that the iguanas ate leaves provided to feed them but they also ate fruit and they thought the yellow duck was a piece of fruit! The iguana farm cost 5 dollars per person and well worth it. They had fish and parrots along with monkey also there to see. The lady running the farm was not a native but had lived there for years. She mentioned to me and my husband while we waited for the others to come back up the hill that Victor was the best tour guide and one of the nicest on the island.

We had to agree.

After we finished with the iguana farm, we headed to the west end of the island, passing Victor's home and his brothers house. We stopped at his small, and I do mean small, convience store. People these are not Quick Trips or Seven Elevens! This was a 12x12 shack along the main road where he sold groceries and soda. I bought my vanilla here for $1.50 a pint. I gave it as gifts to the girls I work with. I should mention I am a baker by profession and two of the ladies commented this last week about just how good the vanilla is! Better than the pure vanilla you buy in our stores.

We went to a beautiful beach and shopped. I had seen several carved wooden boxes that I just loved but didn't buy because they were over 30 dollars. Victor showed us several shops and I found one for only 18 dollars! We were able to pick up a number of necklaces and ear rings for our daughters and grand daughter along with t shirts and a shot glass for my husband who collects them.

We headed back after dark to the ship and I have to mention that was did pass a lot of very poor sections of the island but everyone was clean and so friendly! They were all proud of thier island and homes, it was easy to see. The only thing I did notice was the condition of the roads. Very bad. Victor often drove on the shoulder to avoid the potholes and make our trip more comfortable.

We paid Victor when we got back to the ship and he was allowed to pull in past the gate now that the ship sponsored tour busses and vans were gone. He did mention to us that we were the only ship that week and we could possibly get some good deals from the vendors shops on the pier as they would probably go down on prices to make sales.

We tipped Victor generously, beyond the 25 per person as he was well worth the money.

Roatan became the highlight of our trip.

Here is a link to some photos I took of the cruise.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/redhead191956/album?.dir=74eb&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Thank you for the info that you posted on Roatan. Very good insite into the location. We will be in Roatan the end of Feb. You mentioned that you took the canopy/zipline tour. We would also like to do that and I was wondering how you arranged payment. Do they except credit cards:confused: .....or do we pay by cash? If cash did you use US$ or Lempira?

Thank you for the info that you posted on Roatan. Very good insite into the location. We will be in Roatan the end of Feb. You mentioned that you took the canopy/zipline tour. We would also like to do that and I was wondering how you arranged payment. Do they except credit cards:confused: .....or do we pay by cash? If cash did you use US$ or Lempira?

The canopy tour in French Harbour takes cash only (either USD or Lempiras). The price is $45 pp..

They do not take reservations, and do not have problems handling walk-in traffic.

Wow! Thank you for your detailed report. I booked Victor for our cruise in March but Victor will not be our guide, we will have another driver. From what I have read about Victor, I'm sure the drivers he uses will be fine but I am a little disappointed it won't be Victor himself.

My husband and I were in Roatan in 2002 and did a ship sponsored tour to Tabyana beach. We thought the beach and the snorkeling were beautiful.

This trip, we will have our teenage daughters with us and we are really looking forward to seeing more of the island. The girls definitely want to do the canopy tour. I'm afraid of heights and I'll decide when I get there but husband and daughters are excited about it.

I wasn't sure about the iguana farm but after reading your review I think we'll have to check it out.

The monkey feeding makes me a little nervous. Did they get aggressive when being fed. We're not afraid of animals, we have horses, dogs and goats at home, but they all get aggressive when food is involved. I'd hate to get bit by a monkey!

Just thought of a couple of canopy tour questions. What was the tunnel like? Where the rope bridges pretty stable? What should we wear? Do we need insect repellent.

Thank you. I think Roatan will be the highlight of our trip.

Wibeachbum,

In answer to a few of your questions, the monkeys were very gentle and tame. At no time was anyone uncomfortable with them and they didn't rush madly at you when they saw the nuts. They scampered down the palm trees and hopped onto your shoulder or arm to get at the nuts. Some of them hung around, checking out hats and glasses so beware, they just might take those. Some quickly took the nuts and headed back onto the trees or roofs. If you check out the link with the pictures you can see the monkeys. One even licked our friends ear!

I can't answer the questions about the rope bridges or tunnel as I personally didn't do the zipline. I did hear that the canopy tour where Victor takes you is a real workout so be prepared! I wore jeans, t-shirt, sandals and a hat as I am a redhead and burn easliy. Most of our group wore shorts and t-shirts with no problem doing the canopy ziplines.

I had heard about needing insect repellant and even took some but never needed it. I have heard about the sand flies that bite, and although we didn't have any problems, you might so I would take some.

Have fun and good luck! I promise you, you will enjoy Roatan.

What a great review! Thanks for your information. We will be in Roatan in March and I will show my husband and two children your review. I'm going to contact Victor Bodden right now to book with him if possible.

Just back from NCL Dream visit to Roatan and tour with Victor. We were a party of 4, and Victor had booked another driver for us. However, when we arrived, he had a cancellation, so he took us. The advantages of using Victor (or other similar) are:

1. You reserve for the day at a reasonable price.

2. You get the advantage of a knowlegable person's advice on shopping, interesting locations, sightseeing, snorkeling, dining, island life, real estate, and anything else that interests you.

3. You get a customized tour according to your wishes and schedule.

We wanted to shop at Yaba Ding Ding for Lenca pottery, so that was our first stop. We got there before the rest of the passengers, so had a very good selection to choose from. We then had a personalized tour of a portion of the island, a snorkeling stop at Half Moon Bay (away from the crowds), and an outstanding lobster dinner (3 tails for $16.25) before returning to the ship.

Victor was great, and we will definitely book him again if/when we return to Roatan.

Forgot to mention possibly the biggest advantage to booking with Victor (or similar): You can leave your gear (snorkeling, purchases, cameras, clothes, etc.) with him either on the beach or in the car without having to lug them everywhere and without worry.

• 2 weeks later...

Our family toured with Victor in January. What a wonderful, funny, kind man he is! We had a fantastic tour of the island, and we all loved it. We also stopped at Fantasy Island resort to visit with the monkeys. They were so gentle and sweet; what fun it was to feed them and have them jump on your shoulders! We saw the shipwrecks, the Iguana Farm, and visited a beautiful beach to swim. Victor brought us to his wife's store so we could buy coffee and vanilla. What nice people! Our family fell in love with Roatan, as we saw the real Roatan, thanks to Victor Bodden. I am so thankful to this website for the info on Bodden Tours, they are the best!

We just returned on the 23rd of feburary from our Dawn cruise. We had victor booked for our day in Roatan but since we didn't leave N.Y. till monday because of the snow storm we were a day late for our tour with Victor. We didnt know if we could still do the tour or not as he is booked way in advance....he did come thru though. He sent us Kem as our driver and Evelyn Cooper as our guide.

Let me tell you she is the best. We were a party of 12 and she made sure we all enjoyed ourselfs. The kids enjoyed her and she really is a great person.

If you want a good guide ask for Evelyn Cooper I can't say enough about how good she is.....

Archived