Car Rental/ Self Tour?

OOM

Is it easy to rent a car in Antigua where the ships dock? And is so, is Antiua pretty safe and easy to drive around yourself?

I have rented cars in Cozumel and Aruba before with no problems, but they may be a little more civilized?

We also like to rent cars when we go places so we have more control over where, when, how long etc....

We were on 11/26 sailing of Serenade. We pre-booked a Suzuki Grand Vitara from Hertz for $57.00 for the day....+ insurance and $20.00 Antiguan drivers license (makes a good souvenier).

I went to the Hertz website and found the international 800 number. They were very helpful as we also rented on St. Martin and in San Juan.

Request that you rent from the main office there and then request that they deliver to the pier. Actually they meet you at a hotel that is about a block in (easy to find) and the lady representative was right there when she said she would be with our car.... filled out all the paperwork and gave us a map.

Driving is on the left....a little tricky if you've never done it. Dh lived in Europe for a while and has driven in Jamaica....and if you can drive there you can drive anywhere....

Actually the traffic was almost non-existent once out of town and the roads were ok - we headed to Long Bay (spent a few hours at a real nice beach & snorkeled) and then down to Nelsons dockyard ( did not stop) and then a gorgeous drive down Fig Tree Drive over to West coast and then back up to town. Basically a big circle.

We loved Antigua - kind of like a tropical Texas hill country....beautiful bays and very very nice people. If you feel like you are not going in the right direction - stop and ask. They will be happy to help. We would like to go there again and spend more time just exploring. One day is not enough. It is perfectly civilized just more rural than we were expecting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Texancruzer....When you booked with Hertz and requested the car to be delivered to the Pier, how did you know where to meet them? I just booked the same car you did and requested the delivery to the pier but nowhere on my reservation does it say that. Also, when I asked about drop off, the reservation agent didn't know. As of right now, all I have is a confirmation code. Hope you are still reading these boards to answer! Thanks.

Em: I got real lucky with my 800 operator at Hertz.... she noticed that it said I could have the car delivered to the pier - BUT it must be reserved through the main office on Antigua. If I remember right there are like 3 locations..... the airport, Jolly Beach somethingorother, and the main office. If you reserve the car through the 800 number FOR THE MAIN OFFICE you can then call the main office and have them deliver.

2 days before we left for San Juan (we went down 3 days before the cruise) I called the main office again to re-confirm.

They delivered to a small hotel about a half a block in from the end of the pier (VERY CONVENIENT) and a really nice customer service rep (Vivian was her name) met us and filled out all the necessary paperwork and off we went. We agreed to be back at that same spot by 4:00. She was there waiting for us to turn the car in and we then went to the shops by the pier and spent alot of $$$ ! My dh surprised me with a diamond ring for our anniversary at Diamonds Intl. :D

Sorry I did not answer you sooner.... I don't always check this forum. Saw your message on San Juan :p TEX

• 2 weeks later...

Let me clarify my last post..... in order to have the car delivered to the pier area..... you must make your reservation with the main office. It is not near the pier.

There is not a Hertz "office" near the pier.

But if you reserve your car through the main office they will bring it to the pier area..... I am sorry - I do not remember the name of the small hotel where we picked it up..... it was only a very short walk (2-3 minutes) from the pier. Vivian met us out front to pick up and was there when we came back to drop off.....

My best advice is to go to www.Hertz.com and find the INTERNATIONAL 800 # AND CALL AND TALK TO A REAL PERSON..... tell them you want to reserve thru the main office and have the car delivered to the pier area.... ask her for the main office (on Antigua) number direct.... then call them and reconfirm your reservation and ask where you should meet them to pick up the car.

Archived