at what age are children still children

honeypie72

I am planning a group cruise with family and wanted to do some preliminary pricing.

Can someone tell me at what age children are children Or when they become adults?

It only asks for children and adults when looking online and doesn't give specifications???

We will have several 15 year olds and one 1 year old.

I wasn't able to find it by searching or by NCL.com.

THANKS

Just my opinion.....The 15 year old would be considered a child, and the 1 year old would be considered a baby. Anyone under 2 cruises at a substancially reduced fee, usually just port costs and taxes. The 15 year old would be charged as either the 2nd person or 3rd person fare depending upon how many cruisers in the cabin.

ON ncl.com there is only an option for ADULT or CHILDREN

meaning you put in a number of each before moving on to cabin type!

THIS is why I am confused! I kept reading where "babies" were cheaper..............

Any other input from experts!!:)

Can someone tell me at what age children are children Or when they become adults? We will have several 15 year olds and one 1 year old.

THANKS

Kid's Club teens cover the ages 13-17. Therefore one may assume that age 18 is considered an adult. Or is it?

You must be at least age 21 to book a cabin, with very few exceptions. To drink alcohol aboard, you must be age 21. To drink wine or beer aboard, you must be age 21 or ages 18 to 20 with "Parental Consent".

So one may assume age 21 is considered an adult. Or is it?

You can gamble aboard at age 18...

Confusing, isn't it?

While the NCL web site doesn't define what an adult is, they do use these words to define minors......

Minors

A passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 passenger throughout the cruise. This includes, but is not limited to, preventing the purchase or consumption of alcohol and preventing the violation of any ship rules. If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a notarized parental/guardian consent letter that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier.

To be clear, as I read the above, age 21 is considered an adult........

18 and over is an adult. Under 18 is a child. As for pricing, some lines offer a discount for babies under 2. Otherwise, everyone is the same price. Two 40 year olds sharing the same cabin pay the same price as a 40 year old and a 10 year old sharing the same cabin. You will have to check with your TA or cruise line to see if the one year old gets a discount.

To further complicate things, you might want to look into a group rate. I don't know how large your group is, but if you have several 15 year olds, it sounds like it might be large enough. You may qualify for some extra amenities this way, as well.

I would just give NCL or your travel agent a call, or put your numbers in to the NCL website two different ways to get the rate. For booking, I would do it with a TA or over the phone to make sure that you receive the substantially reduced rate for your child under 2.

Honeypie:

To sum it up: the first and second passenger in a cabin pay full price. The 3rd and 4th (or 5th in some cases) pay a reduced rate. Under 2 years old just pay port fees & taxes. As far as the fare goes when checking prices, the $ amounts don't change if you put 2 adults and 2 children or 3 adults & 1 child etc. (unless under 2 years old).

Cruise ship excursions and the kids clubs have age requirements.

I know when I first started looking at cruises I almost fainted at the price. But I was adding up the full fare for all 5 of my family members!!! SCARY! Thought we'd never go on a cruise!

HTH,

Connie

but when planning excursions I found that my 12 year old daughter was considered an adult and therefore we have to pay adult prices for her.

Yes, this is true and I found it frustrating and not to mention expensive. Our daughter was almost 13 but they would not let her go in the Kids Crew, 13 and up group (only the 10-12). And, the 10-12 year old group was very much planned for 10 year olds. So on one hand, you pay adult prices but then, the other side is she is considered too young to be in the 13-15 year old group. Too me it's a little off... I would feel better about it if they equal it out and started charging adult excursion prices at 13 or later.

Archived