Drink Package Disclaimer

Sammigar

I downloaded the PDF Celebrity has that compares the classic vs the premium package. Both show a disclaimer at the bottom:

Classic:

Includes drinks up to $9. A 20% service charge is added to each check. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 15%.

Premium:

Includes drinks up to $15 and those of the Classic beverage package. A 20% service charge is added to each check. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 20%.

I booked our cabin getting the package as a perk. Does the package include that 20% or will we see 20% of our bar tab added to a bill we pay at the end of the cruise?  I've never noticed this before and we've never had to pay for tips at the end of the cruise before, but I also know that Celebrity has added/increased fees since the last time we sailed.

If it will add 20% to our bill, I'll definitely be doing some math after our cruise to figure out if it's worth it to even book with this perk in the future.

I had already heard about the $14 per day. Some of that picture is too blurry to read, so I don't know if it addresses that 20% disclaimer.

But if we're charged $14 a day extra and then the 20% tip, that's a lot of nickel and diming.

When a beverage package is a perk included in your fare, the 20% gratuity on the beverage package is also included. There’s no extra charge for beverage package gratuities — unless you upgrade from classic to premium, in which case you only pay 20% of the upgrade cost. Similarly, if you have the classic package and order a drink beyond the $9 limit, you will pay the difference plus 20%.

The information posted above is about Celebrity now charging more for fares that include a beverage package as opposed to another perk. That is a separate issue from the question of gratuities for the beverage package.

2 hours ago, Sammigar said:

If it will add 20% to our bill, I'll definitely be doing some math after our cruise to figure out if it's worth it to even book with this perk in the future.

If there is a check there will be a 20% gratuity added, if you stay within the package limits there is no check...

If you go over the package limit there will be a check for the difference and 20% gratuity added to that difference.

There is no gratuity added to the $14/day perk up-charge if that applies to your reservation.

There is a gratuity added to the cost if you upgrade from Classic to Premium.

Hope that covers it.

2 hours ago, Carried_Away said:

When a beverage package is a perk included in your fare, the 20% gratuity on the beverage package is also included. There’s no extra charge for beverage package gratuities — unless you upgrade from classic to premium, in which case you only pay 20% of the upgrade cost. Similarly, if you have the classic package and order a drink beyond the $9 limit, you will pay the difference plus 20%.

The information posted above is about Celebrity now charging more for fares that include a beverage package as opposed to another perk. That is a separate issue from the question of gratuities for the beverage package.

Thank you, this is the information I was looking for. I appreciate it much!

1 hour ago, koolforkatz said:

If it is worth refaring your cruise under the current Black Friday promotion, they are not charging the new $14 per day fee under this promotion. 

That's awesome! We booked our latest cruise under the Black Friday sale and chose the 4 perks offer. It seemed like a great savings and now I know it was an even bigger savings!

Edited by Sammigar
grammar