Things to do in Key West?

AmandaL

I was thinking the same thing. We are on the Miracle 5/23 and will dock in Key West on Wed. I know the ship docks at Duval Street and there is A LOT to do there but I was thinking about a beach excursion too. I'll post whatever I find.

Barb C

We had our kids with us in Key West, and it was hard to find something to keep them interested. There are lots of restaurants and shops, and a few historical places to see, but that's about it.

We ended up doing the jungle tour which the whole family enjoyed.

I dont' seem to be able to pull up their web page, but here is the info.

JUNGLE TOURS

"A 'Wild' Water Adventure through Exotic Mangroves"

US 1 Marina

Mile Marker 4.5 Stock Island

Key West, FL 33040

JUNGLE TOURS. http://www.jungletour.com.

(305)292-3300

You can walk all the way down to the water by walking to the end of Duval but it is not much of a beach. There is a small beach close to the Navy dock where the ship docks.

There is not a whole lot for kids to do in Key West.

There is Sloppy Joe's where you can get great food and drinks and sometimes entertainment during the day but it is not really a family place.

May I suggest the $2.50 per dozen oysters on the half shell at Crabby Bills and the knock your on your @$$ $7 margarita's at Sloppy Joes!

Atom.gifGroup board for the Royal Hounds 9/19/04

For pricing and booking info click:Royal Hounds

Miracle 2/13/05, Royal Hounds 9/19/04, Conquestadors 1/11/04,

Glory Hounds 9/13/03, Triumph 1/03, Fascination 5/02

royalsmallwide.gif

If lifes a beach... then I want to cruise there!

For pricing and booking info click:Royal Hounds

If you have kids the Shipwreck Museum was interesting. There is a tower in back of it that you can climb up (a whole lot of stairs!) to see all over the island. There's also an aquarium, but I didn't think it was worth the price. It was very small, not a lot to see. The Conch Train/Trolley tour was also interesting but only lasts an hour and it doesn't stop for you to get pictures.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess 3/05

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Stop by Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville just so you can say you did

<LI>Eat Key Lime Pie- there will be none better anywhere

<LI>Stand in front of live-action webcam at pre-determined time and holler at the folks back home- they can both see and hear you (link below)

<LI>See Ernest Hemmingway's house, just so you can say you did

<LI>Go to Sloppy Joes and drink too much

<LI>Head back to ship

<LI>At all times just ignore surly attitude of locals who would be on welfare if it were not for the tourists they have the big daddy of all love/hate relationships with

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/webcams

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Depending on the age of your children they also have scooter rental. We did that last October and it was lots of fun. Not too hard deal with the traffic, as it mostly goes slow. They also have bike rentals. I think the scooters were about $35 for 3 hrs. for 2 people.

NEXT UP....SUMMIT 4/5/04

CRUISIN FOR LIFE....

HAL Ryndam 2/2000

HAL Zaadam 8/2000

Celebrity Infinity 10/2001

RCCL Rhapsody 11/2002

RCCL Majesty 8/2003

HAL Zuiderdam 10/2003

We had a blast at Irish Kevin's (I think that is what it was called) Live music that was very good and a ton of fun, and of course Sloppy Joe's is a must, also had fun at Billie's, but I think it was the crew I was with. Have a great trip

The Victory is waiting for me.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We love Billies! For a few summers we spent summer vacation in Key West and ate almost every meal at Billies. There is jetski rental at the dock by the Hilton hotel for $95 per hour - the atocha ship wreck museum is very interesting - not sure about the beaches because we always went over the the private island for Hilton Diamond VIP guests - other than that besides Duval street shopping I cannot think of anything else.

Carnival

Fantasy 11/91, Ecstasy 1/98, Fascination 11/99, Paradise 2/00, Imagination 4/02, Ecstasy 5/03, Paradise 10/03

Royal Caribbean

Sovereign of the Seas 4/04

In Key West we had the very best time just "bar hopping"! Naturally, won't work with children BUT others might enjoy reading the bar review:

KEY WEST BARS (Cruisers' Reviews)*

(Interesting because there is a review on gay bars and a few other interesting things as well.)

* This is posted on the ports of call section under Key West.

In Key West, ther is a butterfly world on the south end of Duval which is great. There is an aquarium, Mel Fisher's Treasure Museum, The Wrecker's Museum, The Hemingway House, the Audobon House, Harry Truman's Little Whitehouse, Kelly McGinnis' brewpub/restaurant, 2 fort museums, Captain Tony's, Sloppy Joe's, the sunset performance every day, rental electric cars, Key West Aloe, Fast Buck Freddie's, Fat Tuesday's, 2 beaches, sunset cruises, a number of great restaurants, outstanding fishing and diving, the Lighthouse Museum, the Southernmost Point, countless little shops and bars, and a number of other attractions. The problem is that you need more time than you have on a cruise ship and you need to be there at sundown. We have been to Key West more than 50 times and it is my kids favorite place in the world. They are 12 and 8, so there is plenty to keep them entertained.

JV

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I didn't find it special at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I wouldn't go out of my way to visit but it was our very first "port of call" on our very first cruise. I often wonder if we went back how we would like it.

I do have a thing for that Key Lime pie though

Yum!

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Key West does not exactly welcome visitors, but will warm up to you if you stay a few days. I find that when we drive there, locals will ask us if we are on one of the cruise ships. When we tell them that we drove down from Ft. Lauderdale, they are suddenly much friendlier. Makes no sense, but it is apparently in vogue for the locals (who all came from somewhere else) to dislike the cruise ships and all the money they pour into the economy.

JV

JV - well to be honest - when we stay for an extended period of time I also dislike when the cruise ships dock. It is kinda strange - when I am on the ship I love visiting each port - but when you are vacationing in that port and then 2,000 plus folks "invade" your vacation spot - it is a whole new perspective!

I have to admit it has made me be far more a gracious visitor since now I have seen both sides.

Carnival

Fantasy 11/91, Ecstasy 1/98, Fascination 11/99, Paradise 2/00, Imagination 4/02, Ecstasy 5/03, Paradise 10/03

Royal Caribbean

Sovereign of the Seas 4/04

there is a spot on the beach where they rented jet ski's when i was there years ago. another really cool thing i did there was a sightseeing tour on a biplane. it was the coolest thing i ever did. i'd love to try that again. sorry that i don't remember mpre details.

Hi! My husband and I have taken our children with us to Key West twice. They both enjoyed it. We went to the Shipwreck Museum, the aquarium, Hemingway's home, did the ghost tour at night, and watched the "cat man of Key West" at the sunset show at the end of Duval St. We also, went to the beach on the Atlantic side of the island while staying at the Sheraton there. It was OK, but not great. They also enjoy shopping there. Check into a few of these things and enjoy the history...it's really a neat little town. Have fun!

There is also a Ripley's that we let the older kids do,while some of us took those little cars

they really enjoyed the cars...a little safer than the mopeds (I think).. very reasonable in price.We did Sloppy Joes,which as far as food goes is REAL over rated.This year we will do the ship wreck museum,and the little cars ourselves.

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

RCI-Rhapsody- 2004

until the return to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

Archived