Young kids on Aloha?

hunter6009

We are possibly going on the Pride of Aloha next year in January '07 when our DS will be 2 1/2. What are the childrens programs like onboard this ship? Do they have any babysitting services (group/private) that will allow us to go to port without him if we so choose? What if he's not potty-trained? Will there be any other children on board in January?

Thanks for your help!

Here's the infor from the NCL web site:

http://www.ncl.com/more/kidscrew_mini.htm

NCL will not change diapers, period! Someone will have to stay behind to do that nasty chore.

Children must be 2 years old to participate. Group sitting is available for a nominal fee. Parents with participating children who are not potty-trained will be issued a beeper and be alerted when the child needs to be changed. Beeper range is limited to on board the ship. Programs and age groupings are subject to change. According to United States Public Health (U.S.P.H.) regulations, no diapers of any kind are permitted in the swimming pools or hot tubs, including those marketed as “swimmers.”

Changing diapers on somebody else babies is a nasty job.

And the opinion is mine alone.

NCL will not change diapers either.

They will beep or call you when it is time.

After all, body fluids in today's modern world is considered a bio hazard.

The good news is that at least NCL's Kid's Club (and I believe Carnival's equivalent) takes kids who are 2. On other cruiselines (if they even take kids) the minimum age is 3.

Your cruise is almost a year away - maybe your son will be potty-trained by then. (OFF-TOPIC: the secret to successful potty training - UNDERWEAR. They have to really feel nasty before they get point. :-)

-Andy

The Kids Clubs are closed while the ship is in port with the exception of Private babysitting. (and that only occurs if enough children sign up ahead of time.)

As far as the changing is concerned, it would be a real hassle for NCL to keep all of those different sizes of diapers on hand, plus the wipes and diaper removal systems.

I also don't see how not being willing to change diapers makes NCL not kid friendly? The number of counselors available is limited.

I don't think that not changing diapers makes NCL not child-friendly. I thought the previous posters comment regarding it being a "nasty chore" seemed a little strong. If crew members think my child is "nasty" once he's had a BM, no...I do not consider that a child-friendly line. I do not care if I have to change them myself at all! I was merely hoping to find some information about this line with other members who have also taken their young children on board this particular ship and what their experiences were.

I don't think it's too strong to say that changing a diaper can be a nasty chore, depending on what's in it. All us parents know what a nasty job it is, c'mon admit it. How many of us didn't look happily forward to the day when our little ones would be completely potty trained?

It is a health issue as well. It is all too easy to transmit "ickies" from one person to another--no matter how careful we are. Same goes for "swimmies"; they will keep big things (you know what I mean) confined, but the bacteria and other pathogens ARE NOT confined in them. There have been countless incidents of nasty infections being spread this way.

It has nothing to do with being kid friendly or unfriendly. It has everything to do with the health and safety of the others on board.

And I don't think the implication was that the crew members would find a child "nasty" for needing a diaper change. I got the idea that the comment was directed solely at the diaper change (and contents thereof) itself--not at the child.

beachchick

...to answer your question (and stay away from getting personal, which, I know, is tough when talking about our kids), NCL is very kid-firendly --- I've been on 4 cruises w/NCL, and our son's 1st cruise was at 2 yrs old (he is now 4!). The 1st time he was NOT potty-trained, so I carried the beeper, and never left the ship while he was in the Kid's Crew (and I never got called to change his delightful diaper!)...I worked with him PRIOR TO sailing so that we automatically went to the potty every 2-3 hours, and he did just fine (in pull-ups). Once or twice he had gone #1, but most times he just waited for us to pick him up! I think this actually EXPEDITED our potty-training efforts! At age 2, we just dropped him off for 3 hours each day, usually the afternoon OR the evening, and 1 night we used GROUP SITTING from 10pm-12MID to attend a late-night event with friends. Here are some facts you should know about NCL's Kid Crew:

1) If your child is even 1 day short of 2 yrs old, you will not be able to drop him off (yes, even if he/she is POTTY-TRAINED, but still under 2 years old!). You will, however, be able to take your under 2 yr old to the club during certain times and use their faciltities (times vary by ship and itinerary).

2) On SEA DAYS (I love SEA DAYS!), Kid's Crew is open from 9am til noon, 2pm-5pm, 7pm -10pm. On PORT DAYS, Kid's Crew is only from 7pm-10pm. All Kid Crew services are provided to kids 2-17 FREE OF CHARGE.:)

3) On BOTH SEA DAYS and PORT DAYS, FROM 10PM TO 1AM, you can sign up for GROUP SITTING or GROUP PLAY, at $5/hour/child for the 1st child, and $3/hour/child from same family. From what I heard, PRIVATE SITTING is not allowed due to Liability. :o

4) On PORT DAYS, there will be GROUP BABYSITTING at $5/hour/child for the 1st child, and $3/hour/child for addl kids from the same family (cousins can't get the discount). Hours are usually 9am-5pm, but can vary slightly depending on the itinerary, shore excursions, etc. ALSO, on some ships, due to low staffing (usually only on sailings with a small amount of kids), they require a certain number of kids to conduct GROUP SITTING.

Let's see---other tips...we usually had LUNCH with our son, then took him to one of the more casual venues for DINNER so he could have his fill, then we'd drop him off at Kid's Club, and go have a nICE ADULT dinner at one of the dining rooms or specialty restaurants. THEN, at 9-9:30pm, we'd pick him up and go to one of the main dining rooms and have DESSERT together! Our son LOVED it!:rolleyes:

Also, on the island on MAUI, at the main shopping mall, called Kaahumanu Center (NCL docks nearby, and offers a shuttle to the mall) there is a drop-off CHILDCARE place that charges $8/hr (I live on Maui and use this place frequently for "date nights", trips to the spa, etc.) Here is the link for more info and hours:

http://www.mauiplaycare.com/NEW_HOURS.htm

Hope this helps!

Archived