People who like cruises aren't like Disney people...are we?

tripman

Disney people not like us? I am both - cruise every year and try to hit Disney every year too. Am acutally getting more bored with cruising than Disney - or maybe its just Caribbean burn out. Anyway - if you really enjoy something, then its hard to get enough, much less too much, no matter what it is.
I agree I am both love to cruise and love Disney..why not enjoy both?:)

Add me to the group that does both! We usually go to Disney World on our way to a cruise. In fact this past year we went to disney 2x. Recently my daughter told me she wants to hit disney again this year on our wait to our cruise (however we're leaving out of Miami instead of PC), and I asked her "what, 2x in a year isn't enough?". Nope.

For us, it's not all about going to the parks. We love the resorts and make the most of that. DD actually discovered the joy of the spa at the Grand Floridian this past trip.

Of course we take other vacations each year (beach week, and MANY mini vacations), but I figure DD will only want to go to Disney for such a small window of time in her life... why not take advantage of that?

Just wanted to say "Hi Ahnalira". I recognize your name from DIS. Good to see you on Cruise Critics. I discovered Disney in 1988 and I discovered cruising in 2004. I have been on 5 cruises since then with 3 more ahead of me so far. I got to catch up to my Disney numbers, but I also need to go to WDW to ride Expedition Everest now! I need more vacation time!! Marilyn:D

Hi Marilyn:D

Oh yeah, I'm still 'around':p We moved from Oregon to sunny, central Florida a few years ago so we can do more of both Disney and cruising;) Went to the Expedition Everest AP opening last weekend... send me your email to akoan@ourlaughingplace.com and I'll send you a link to pictures if you'd like:)

At first I said people who cruise on the same ship to the same places are like people who go to Disney over and over, but I don't even think that is true. Each cruise would be different, different waiter, different excursions, different guest entertainers, maybe different menu items, different excursions, etc.

But Splash Mountain is exactly the same each an every time. Don't get me wrong, I do like Disney World, but it has been 3 1/2 years since I was there last, and I'd like to go again, but it is still a bit too early, not enough has changed yet. But there are some people who go there for a week or so a couple times per year, I just don't get it. I just think that if they tried something else, they might realize there is more out there.

The menu is basically the same cruise after cruise after cruise. Disney has countless restuarants. You could spend a week at Epcot alone and neber eat in the same place twice. The entertainment? Same basic show everytime. Different entertainer doing the same old schtick. The same samll pool, the same small cabins, each identical to the others, same as Disney but way smaller. A regular room at a Disney resort would be a JS or GS on a ship. A different waiter? That's soo reaching as to be irrationally defensive. I love Disney, but I don't go year after year. The chief reason I love Disney is they make you feel like you are getting your money's worth, Disney's customer service is amazing.

There are a few snobs on a Disney vacation, but cruisers tend towards snobbery to a far greater extent and degree.

We enjoy both as well, but am so what repulsed by those who seem to belittle others to make themselves feel good.

I'm the one with the friends who go to DL every year and I just wanted to clarify that what I find weird is that they don't do any OTHER type of vacation! We like to cruise every year, but we also throw in a few little land trips too. And we like trying new places, exploring and seeing what's there. Of course, that is what is so appealing about cruising.....waking up in a different place every day!

It's so interesting that so many people have that opinion. Having been to a number of Caribbean islands, on a cruise or a regular vacation, it's all basically the same, but you wake up in the same cabin every morning. The allure of cruising is the ship is a destination in itself. Once that gets to be old, cruising will get old. A far as a European trip is concerend, a river cruise or a train trip is far far far superior to an Ocean voyage through Europe.

I am a Disney Fanatic! the whole family is :D

we live 2 hours south and go for a big trip at least once a year - we went in June for a week, January for 3 days and are going again in October (for F&W and MNSSHP)...

This is going to be my first cruise (exactly a month after the disney trip) an I am getting excited about it :)

I love both!! I'm sitting here reading up in anticipation of booking my 5th cruise (AOS in September), and I leave for my 9th trip to Disney tomorrow!!! My family are all Disney nuts so I'm going with my sister and parents. My DH, not so much....he really likes cruising though, so that's OUR vacation this year!!

I can totally see the Disney addiction. I think if I could afford to do it every year AND go somewhere else (cruise or land), I would do it. Since I can't, I try to take at least one vacation every year and make sure that Disney gets in there every couple years. This year I'm doing both only because my parents and sister are going.

Disney people not like us? I am both - cruise every year and try to hit Disney every year too. Am acutally getting more bored with cruising than Disney - or maybe its just Caribbean burn out. Anyway - if you really enjoy something, then its hard to get enough, much less too much, no matter what it is.

Ditto! We do Disney and a Cruise every year. Many people do the exact same thing every year. While others don't understand why we need to take a vacation at all. Why judge them? To each his own.

We live in NJ and most of our friends and co-workers plan and spend their vacation at the Jersey Shore. We cruise and go to Disney!

Just what I always dreamed of. A vacation in Anaheim every year. Bring on the smog, and the traffic, and the sprawling nothingness. Yipee! Can we go, please. Also not a dig. Just don't get it. I live in Los Angeles, and I try at all costs to stay away from Anaheim. At least Orlando has a little more to offer.

Depends on where you live;)

We also have a time share at The Disney Board Walk. The enterance sign reads . . . "Welcome Home". I get a real special feeling every year when we return home to Disney. Last year for the 50th we went home to Disney Land where it all began. We also cruise every year. I feel that a little bit of both can't be beat. I also love going to Las Vegas every year. I do tend to repeat visiting the places I love.

We have held Disneyland annual passports for years, never tire of it. I suppose it depends on how much of a kid you are. My husband and I go without the kids (teens) on Sunday mornings, they stay home and sleep. We have succeeded in making two kids not want to go to Disneyland, they went so frequently when they were little.While we love all the rides, one of our favorites is Peter Pan. Disneyland is best early in the morning, we get there at least a half hour before opening, Main Street is so wonderful early in the day without the crowds.

We go on a few rides, have a nice breakfast at Carnation, walk around a bit, then leave when the crowds are getting too thick. If you get there early enough, you can go on more rides between 8-11am than you can the entire rest of the day.

We also love to cruise and have been on Disney cruise line. A little pricey, but very nice. Our 3 day Disney World visit was not enough and we fully intend to return, after the kids are grown up enough that we don't have to take them with us!

I have a boss who chides me for cruising so much, but she and her husband return to the same 3 places every year (different trips). I know others who only go to the desert, or the river, or Las Vegas. We all have our likes and dislikes. I like to cruise, because I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than drive 4 hours to Vegas.

You guys don't know how much this thread makes me smile. I guess I am not so crazy after all...I seem to be in very good company!:p

KS- we also have annual passports even though we only make the 6 hour journey 3 times per year it is worth the price after even just 2 visits. I sometimes call the Grand Californian my second home because we love it there so much. We always opt for a pool view room! You're right also about how you do the parks. We also get there very early and leave by 11 or so when the crowds come, we then shop or go back to the hotel for a rest or swim and have a great meal somewhere...Love Storytellers Cafe!

I am just warmed inside to know that there are others out there who understand how I feel about Disney and cruising...I guess it's hopeless. All I can do is keep having fun with all of our vacation planning. Hey, it's this addiction that led me to becoming a TA! I figured I might as well help others find the joy!:D Marilyn

Archived