No Cruise Excursion: Tulum--what options?

tipsnowflake

Hi there,

I am cruising for the very first time in a few weeks, and one of our stops is in Cozumel. That being said, I really wanted to go on an excursion to Tulum, but the cruise line is not offering one.

What I've read here makes me very nervous (tendering makes trips on your own to Tulum very risky, etc) about trying it solo.

So, I am looking for your ideas. What is good to see that can be done given the constraints by the current tendering situation?

Thanks so much!

I am cruising for the very first time in a few weeks, and one of our stops is in Cozumel. That being said, I really wanted to go on an excursion to Tulum, but the cruise line is not offering one.

What I've read here makes me very nervous (tendering makes trips on your own to Tulum very risky, etc) about trying it solo.

I agree with your assessment, having to tender first, then taking the ferry to the mainland, then getting to Tulum, plus the return, would take all day. I'd pass on trying it myself until ships dock in Cozumel.

So, I am looking for your ideas. What is good to see that can be done given the constraints by the current tendering situation?

What is "good" will depend greatly on the interests of the different people with you. How about you give us a clue as to what you are interested in doing/seeing before we recommend something. An example, it would be silly for me to recommend going to a beach club if you aren't a beach/water person.

You might get some more information from either http://www.travelnotes.cc or http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com

One other thing, what the ship offers for shore excursions isn't written in stone. There might be tours offered on the ship that aren't listed on the cruise line website. It's just a possibility, so check what they have once you are on the ship.

I too am looking for ideas of how to spend the day in Cozumel. We were there last year but had our children with us so we spent the day at Paradiase Beach and never made it "downtown". My husband and I will be alone this time as it is our anniversary cruise. We'll be in port from 7am until 7pm. We don't snorkle or scuba and aren't big drinkers. I was looking at excursions on RCCL's website and saw a couple of things we liked but when I got the documents there are only five excursions listed. At the risk of sounding stupid, how is the best way to get to town? Is it close enough to walk or should we take a taxi? If we take a taxi into town, where do we say we want to go? Okay, I'm feeling like an idiot now.LOL Is there a tour group other than with the cruise ship that is reliable? I would love to see more of the island but don't want to have to worry the whole time about missing the ship.

Thanks,

Ginger

I too am looking for ideas of how to spend the day in Cozumel. We were there last year but had our children with us so we spent the day at Paradiase Beach and never made it "downtown". My husband and I will be alone this time as it is our anniversary cruise. We'll be in port from 7am until 7pm. We don't snorkle or scuba and aren't big drinkers. I was looking at excursions on RCCL's website and saw a couple of things we liked but when I got the documents there are only five excursions listed. At the risk of sounding stupid, how is the best way to get to town? Is it close enough to walk or should we take a taxi? If we take a taxi into town, where do we say we want to go? Okay, I'm feeling like an idiot now.LOL Is there a tour group other than with the cruise ship that is reliable? I would love to see more of the island but don't want to have to worry the whole time about missing the ship.

Thanks,

Ginger

Have you looked online to see what RCI is offering? The list in the cruise documents book is not always comprehensive. Look on www.rccl.com and go to Shore Excursions. Go into your reservation and it will show what excursions are actually being offered. It may be that you've waited too long to book excursions and they are already sold out, but RCI offers a lot more than 5 excursions at Cozumel.

We did a tour called Cozumel Highlights and Shopping. It was about 4 hours. A bus took us all around the island. Our first stop was a mini ruin. Just one building and a church that was still standing. I forgot what it was called. It was connected to a little village on the island that was now deserted. There were a few small shops there. Then we stopped at the ocean where we could collect sponges and coral. Not a beachy area, but we were thrilled to get the sponges. They will fit nicely into my ocean themed bathroom. Then we were dropped off downtown. We had lunch at Pancho's Backyard, did a little shopping and took a quick walk through a museum. Our tour guide told us a lot about the island.

We got to Cozumel about 10, so we didn't have a full day like you will have. Our tour started at noon. We went over about 10:30 and shopped at the pier before we toured.

If I can get my pictures of the ruin to go small enough, I'll put them here.

Thanks,

Ginger

Ginger, the first thing I recommend you do it buy the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com Yes, it does seem like I recommend that map a lot, but it really is worth $8 to get better prepared for you visit to Cozumel. Knowing where things are is a big help in planning what you want to do/see.

As for getting to town, unless you tender into the ferry terminal (right in front of the Plaze) or Puenta Langosta (the pier closest to town), you will want to take a taxi. Tell the driver you'd like to go to the Plaza, which is centrally located if you want to walk around, or better yet, to the museum. Spend an hour or two there, then shop a little. I like Los Cinco Soles which is on the water front 5 blocks north of the Plaza. Next, go to lunch at one of the local's restaurants. Lots of people like Pancho's Backyard, but unless you want to eat with a bunch of other tourists, there are better choices IMO. Camillo's on Ave 5 between Calle 2 and Calle 4 It is really only one block back from the water front about 1 1/2 blocks north of the Plaza. This inexpensive seafood restaurant serves up the yummiest fried shrimp tacos at only 10 pesos each. After lunch play a round of golf at Cozumel mini-golf, which is also downtown. The sangria is pretty good there. If you have time, get a massage from Sally. Her website is barefootincozumel (dot) com.

If you want a tour around the island, you could hire one of the taxis for a few hours. I believe that Sally said they ask $25 an hour, but be sure to agree on the price before you get in the taxi. The supervisor at the head of the line of taxi's as you leave the tender dock will be able to help you select a driver.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

Hi there,

Thanks so much!

You can do a private tour, but you'll have to ride the ferry over on your own, then get picked up at the pier in Playa del Carmen. Same on the way back. Ferry takes 30-45 minutes each way. Any good tour operator will make sure you have time to get back on your ship. A private tour gives you the opportunity to decide when you want to go back, and the tour won't leave without you.

Archived