Anybody have a good msc cruise lately?

MartyC

we are booked on the msc opera and I continue to hear about how bad this cruise line is. We have a 11 year old who enjoys the kids program but it sounds like its not very good... we are considering cancelling and booking another line, we would lose our deposit but may be better to cut our losses. Has anybody had a good experience recently on this cruise line and what about the kids program... help.

My wife and had a great time on the 11 day to the canal BUT we are used to European Cruises so . There where about 6 kids on the cruise also. If you like mass market this might not be for you, If you need more info just email me.

STEVE

Marty,

We had a "decent" time on our Lirica sailing on Dec. 17th. My kids have been on many cruises... my 9 1/2 yo DID miss the kids program BUT did enjoy her cruise... she was THRILLED she didn't get sick this time like she did on RCCL Brilliance the year before... (and because of that incident we're boycotting RCCL... but that's a personal thing that we have w/RCCL regarding how we/my daughter was/wasn't medically treated on that sailing...). Does you child LIVE for the kids program? We found that we had an enjoyable time having quality "family" time enjoying the shows and ports, pool time together... we really needed it and needed to decompress. That was our "goal" for this cruise. With our family we've gotten to the "been there, done that" regarding what's offered on a ship. It's the same w/my 13 yo.. both kids have been on at least 10 cruises. On the last 2 RCCL sailings Alex was just "hanging out"... that was easily accomplished on Lirica and the teens were content. Hope you got a "deal" with your booking 'cause that's where we balanced everything out... w/the mantra... it's "ok" for what we paid.....

and that was the mantra for alot of passengers on the sailing.

Good luck with your decision.

Carolyn

cmjaffe: Thanks for your response. Are you saying there was no kids program on your cruise? Our travel agent called msc and they faxed us some information on the program - age groups and hours of operation so we felt better. Do you think they would lie about a program just to shut us up? The kids program is really important to my kid. She loves to interact with the other kids and always comes home with a new friend to email.

cmjaffe: Thanks for your response. Are you saying there was no kids program on your cruise? Our travel agent called msc and they faxed us some information on the program - age groups and hours of operation so we felt better. Do you think they would lie about a program just to shut us up? The kids program is really important to my kid. She loves to interact with the other kids and always comes home with a new friend to email.

I don't know about this season, however, last year (on the Lirica) we did see some children being entertained by the ships staff (approximately 10 of them). They all seemed to be having a good time. I know they did arts and crafts on a daily basis. I'm sure they do have a children's program, however, if it's not during a school vacation period, there may not be many children onboard.

Marty,

Since you're traveling during "winter break" (not president's day weekend) I'd put$$ that there won't be an incredibly high number of kids. As far as what was offered (after complaints) on the Lirica for 9 up... it was VERY limited... and there were very few activities offered on the ship from 12 - 3PM (actually NONE)... the animation team said "they shouldn't be working in HOT sun then" (aka they want/need a break). You couldn't even "sign out" games during those hours (or return them back for the deposit slips). The kids program originally was set up for 8 and under... and it was "glorified" daycare ... total mayhem. Mind you this was on Lirica, but we went on board knowing that "yes" there's a kids program, but NO it's probably not for our kids (saw pictures of the room... looked like stuff from Gymboree). Did your TA ask "age specific" info on kids program? Sure they have a room but that's about it... and if there are only a few kids they won't do ANYTHING... if they didn't get a big turnout they'd just cancel stuff (that's what they did for some "pool games" during the afternoon some days to give you an idea).

I know Cindee (antcyd) would confirm this info. Don't mean to "flame" MSC but you really can't depend on what they say/don't say to your TA...

you can e-mail me directly at cmjaffe@cox.net if you want to discuss anything.

Hope I was helpful.

Carolyn

Marty,

I answered your question about the kids program in another post of your regarding credit card surcharge, but you are free to email me at antcyd@aol.com if you have any questions.

I agree 100% with Carolyn, the so called kid's program was pathetic and if your child is one that really likes that kind of thing, you are going on the wrong cruise line. Your children have to be able to entertain themselves for the most part if you take them on a MSC cruise or they will be absolutely miserable.

• 2 weeks later...

Czechmate,

So sorry to see that let you back on here, it was so nice and cordial up until now without you.

To caution those of you who dont know Barry, well basically it goes like this, he is a huge cheerleader for MSC, probably an employee or stockholder I imagine and unless you write nothing but a 100% positive review, he will treat you obnoxiously and rudely, seems its his opinion or no opinion and in my book, that is the reason alot of people who go on MSC are disappointed, because they are reading reviews of people who will only write the good and are afraid to give their honest opinion for "fear" of Czechmate's revenge as it has occured in the past, therefore they may go on with unrealistic expectations.

We who have been here on here for the past few months without him have gotten along extremely well and shared information and our own personal experiences, good or bad without fear of flaming, unfortunatly now that he is back my fear is that all that sharing of info and kindness we have had on this board is gone. This is truly a shame.

I will not go as far as to stoop to your level and publicly expose what has me fuming in detail right now, I am better than that, but if you ever dare to write me an email like that one you just did, calling me the names you did, well lets just leave it at that, I know you well enough to know you are going to fly with this post, bring it to the attention of the mods etc. Just the idea that I may have made your head spin some is enough for me for right now. DO NOT ever email me again. I gave out my email address in good faith on here to help people with questions they may have,not to recieve the garbage you just spewed at me!!!!

Deleted - because it is not worth the effort.

Lets just say MSC has been in the Caribbean since at least 1999. Had a great product till they brought in some clown 2 years ago.

Italy still do and will always make the big decisions and sign the contracts for the new builds but before they hang him they are prepared to let the idiot prove just how incapable he is in the Caribbean operations.

It is no secret I was a big MSC fan disillusioned by the attempts to turn a good line into a mediocre carbon copy of the worst in cruising.

CAUTION

Beware of those who consider themselves the ultimate "critic" when their travel knowledge is limted to MacDonalds no more than 100 yards from home.

I for one am glad your back and don't see your post as a bit of cheerleading for Caribbean ops! Only time will tell if he can get it together before the new ships end up in someone elses hands. Initially, the changes that he has made have been in increasing profitabiliy but not passenger satisfaction. In the meantime, I see you booked Galaxy for '07. You will have a wonderful time. I am serioiusly looking at that one or the TA on December 1. We did the westbound TA on her in October and it was the best cruise ever!

I know for a fact that czechmate is NOT an employee of MSC and I share some of his concerns regarding changes implemented by Mr. Sasso.

Barry has been generous with info on MSC with me and numerous others. He's answered lots of questions and provided an honest opinion. I miss his input on this board...........

Claudia

Claudia,

I most certainly will give credit where credit is due, Czechmate has unselfishly provided a wealth of information on here, including to myself. I also dont truly believe he is an employee of MSC, it just feels that way sometimes.

The problem I have is that this is a place to share experiences and opinions beit positive or negative, good or bad, it simply is what one person experiences, it doesnt make it everyone's reality and doesnt make a person a bad one for expressing what they feel or thought. I feel that if you write something that is not of the same opinion as Czechmate then you have to deal with his retaliation which can sometimes be unpleasant, such as the email I recieved at my personal email address calling me some very nasty things, that is simply uncalled for.

I just wish he would be more open to hearing what other people experiences are, even it isnt the same as his experience and let people feel free to write what they want without the flaming and nastiness.

And on that note, this issue is a dead one for me.

Yo-

As a long time poster here in the MSC forums - I see Czechmate (Barry) as a two sided sword - on one side is full of good and useful information - on the other is a bitter spitefullness that grates the nerves of the common person-

I have enjoyed his lack of input these last few months (apparently after some losing battle with either MSC or the management of this board or both) - mainly because the bad FAR outweighed the good IMO-

His post above - is a classic example of just what I am referring to............

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

MartyC, You shouldn't lose your deposit if you haven't had to make final payment yet ... if you are in the final payment timeframe, IMHO, then you would be better to cut your loss there.

We went on OPERA last year (February) with our three teenage daughters. There was no teen or kid program to speak of for them, and to top it off, they were 'hit on' by a LOT of crew members throughout the week. While they stuck pretty close to us, they still wanted to have some 'girl time' by themselves, and found it was difficult and uncomfortable to do under those circumstances.

Couple that with our mediocre dining experiences and a disembarkation luggage mess (see another MSC post I wrote about that), and we decided that MSC just isn't for us.

Good luck to you and your family .. whatever you decide, I hope you have a fabulous vacation!

cheers,

We just returned from the 2/11 MSC OPERA cruise. The demographics of the cruisers was mostly middle aged and up, although we did have dining tablemates who were first timers (a very nice professional and late 20's couple who kept asking what cruiseline they should go on for their next cruise to have a more appropriate age group) My husband and I are mid-50's and enjoyed the tone of the cruise. I would venture to say there were no more than 15 children aboard (very varying ages from baby to mid-teens). I never observed any organized children's activity in progress aboard the ship in the common areas (i.e. pool or patio deck). There is a kid's club area and an area where there are some game machines (not free) but this is a small space. If I were cruising with children, this would not be my personal choice. It appeared the kids I observed had formed a group on their own and were just 'hanging out' by themselves. Hope this helps.

Archived