BLISS- Race Cars Open in December?

Project-College

For those that have sailed/departed in the cold temperatures to start their cruise... does NCL have the Race Cars available?

We are sailing on 12/28 and I am trying to determine if buying the 'unlimited' pass is worth it ($200).  If the racecars are not available if cold outside, which on our 8 days would probably be half the time, than an unlimited pass would be crazy!

A few other questions to the Knowledgeable:

=====================================

1.  Also, any other advantages of the 'unlimited'?  (I think someone said something about not having to do reservations?)

2.  It seems like you can't buy the 'unlimited UNTIL you are on board... is that correct?

2a:  Assuming you do have to wait until you board to buy it... where do you go on the ship to buy it?

3.  Is it good immediately?

4.  Any other 'caveats' that one should be aware of?

Again, spending $400 is worth it if they have access all the time and no other 'caveats' but I have been 'burned' before with unlimited buys so again I wanted to go to those those that might know... Thanks in advance!!!!

I was on them in Alaska in May when it was like 50 degrees. But other weather will close it - too windy, any rain, any snow. I'm guessing if it gets really cold they might close it too so all those workers don't have to be out there. Frankly I froze out there and my fingers were frozen by the end. 

I was on 12/13 Bliss - the track was closed 3 days because of weather (rain, winds, rough seas). 

Even one time I paid for it wasn't worth - Had to wait 1 hour even after reservation and the race was stopped 5 times because of slow drivers, too aggresive drivers etc.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:21 AM, Project-College said:

For those that have sailed/departed in the cold temperatures to start their cruise... does NCL have the Race Cars available?

We are sailing on 12/28 and I am trying to determine if buying the 'unlimited' pass is worth it ($200).  If the racecars are not available if cold outside, which on our 8 days would probably be half the time, than an unlimited pass would be crazy!

A few other questions to the Knowledgeable:

=====================================

1.  Also, any other advantages of the 'unlimited'?  (I think someone said something about not having to do reservations?)

2.  It seems like you can't buy the 'unlimited UNTIL you are on board... is that correct?

2a:  Assuming you do have to wait until you board to buy it... where do you go on the ship to buy it?

3.  Is it good immediately?

4.  Any other 'caveats' that one should be aware of?

Again, spending $400 is worth it if they have access all the time and no other 'caveats' but I have been 'burned' before with unlimited buys so again I wanted to go to those those that might know... Thanks in advance!!!!

Also just off the Bliss from 12/13 - 12/20.  We did not buy the pass and decided to just make a reservation on the kiosks the moment we got on board - highly recommend this as opposed to going to whatever lounge they say to go to right before you board.  This was good cause reservations filled up on the first day on the ship, probably before we even left the port.  Cold is not really the problem, it is the wind, at least it was for our cruise.  Although cold did make my S.O. car just stop working in the middle of our ride; they were very good about crediting him the $14.95.  Our cruise had such crappy weather they closed the outdoor decks so many days.  Track is at the top of the ship and you can't get there without going on the outdoor decks for at least a bit.

Anyone I spoke to who had the unlimited pass said they would never do it again and it was not worth it for a winter cruise. I thought someone said they called NCL to buy the pass before they boarded (as I think it wasn't available online at least at that time).  The no reservations needed thing is great, but doesn't do you any good if the track is closed so much.  It is good immediately though.  We had to cancel our reservation on Wed cause it was raining.  We walked up there on Thursday - when it was really cold and most riders and all staff had parkas, hats, & mittens on - at 4:30 before our dinner reservation at 7 and got right in since we said we could go immediately, there was no line, and I think some people said the hell with it cause it was so cold (so there were cars available). We were crazy enough to jump in the hot tubs after we were done racing; then again, we are VTers. 😛

I am on the Bliss now. 12/20 sailing. The weather has been horrible. Do not even book excursions in advanced if you are leaving close to this day. They don’t cancel even if it rains. It’s been so windy that we could not stop on private island. Look ahead before booking anything. 

Thanks everyone- I was debating getting the pass for May but then realize time wise I probably wouldn't do more than 4 or 5 based on port days, UBP usage, vibe etc. So as Wilmingtech stated above- 13 times - which would likely come to close to  1:45 plus waiting and set up time- would be a huge chunk of time on the boat 

7 minutes ago, lovacruz said:

I am on the Bliss now. 12/20 sailing. The weather has been horrible. Do not even book excursions in advanced if you are leaving close to this day. They don’t cancel even if it rains. It’s been so windy that we could not stop on private island. Look ahead before booking anything. 

sorry to hear that- I almost went on 12/13 but had heard many mentions of rough seas in December. I am sorry you are missing GSC as well.