Capris in the main dining room?

makayjean

My mother is coming on our next cruise and we have had this debate with her. I love to wear a long sun dress with (no hose, show off the sun I got that day)and nice sandals. To me it looks dressy enough and is very comfortable. My mother on the other hand says if she is paying for a vacation she wants to wear what ever she wants to dinner. I simply stated that she was more than welcome to wear what ever she wants. I know that when I go to dinner I never notice what others are wearing, I am too busy looking at the wonderful choices on the menu and the wonderful company at my table. icon_smile.gif Vacations are for fun!!! Just have a GREAT time.

icon_biggrin.gif

Tropical (Carnival) 1995

Vision (RCI)Feb 2003

Conquest (Carnival) Sept 2003

Family trip on the Triumph in >>>> countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Originally posted by HighSeaslover:

I know that when I go to dinner I never notice what others are wearing, I am too busy looking at the wonderful choices on the menu and the wonderful company at my table. icon_smile.gif Vacations are for fun!!! Just have a GREAT time.

icon_biggrin.gif

I am so glad to hear someone else say this. I would not wear shorts to dinner because I don't want to, and I would not wear denim because I just know it would ruin someone else's dinner!!!!

I am just too busy having a good time on a cruise to worry about what someone else is wearing. I may notice a particularly striking outfit, but other than that I am not the least concerned about other people's clothes!

5/2 Miracle cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;2;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

[This message was edited by bar10der421 on 04-24-04 at 04:02 PM.]

We try to dress nicely. I do wear nice black slacks and a nice blouse on other than the formal nights and wear sandals with no hose. DH prefers to wear slacks and a nice shirt. We can be casual at home.

I think it's not too much to put on a pair of pants for evening dinner. Would you go into a nice restraunt in your hometown, damn, I shouldn't have asked that, with shorts on in the evening? As the paying customer we are agreeing to a contract for services they offer but doesnt that also mean we are agreeing to the "guidelines" set by the cruiseline.

Jim

Carnival Miracle 3/04/04

Carnival Celebration 1/15/05

Zaandam in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I was on the Legend with Huey (sorry we never got to meet!) and took slacks or capris for the non-formal nights. It stated in the Capers every single day that shorts were not to be worn to the dining room in the evening.

Honestly, I saw such a wide variety of dress that it was quite entertaining. From the truly elegant to the "what were they thinking" to the ones that made you laugh. icon_biggrin.gif Yes, quite entertaining and didn't spoil my dinner one bit.

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

I don't believe it mentions capri pants, however I think on casual nights they should be fine. You can get some really cute and somewhat dressy capri outfits when your out shopping. I don't mean denim capris and a pullover shirt. Something a little nicer. As far a shorts for the men. I don't care how nice of a shirt you put with docker style shorts, you still have a look that is not acceptable for a fine dining venue.

I don't mean to start a war, but if we are refering to a fine dinning room, aren't capri pants cut off at the ankles?

I have a teen boy and girl. My son always wears dockers (pants) to the dining on casual nights, but quickly changes to shorts after dinner. My daughter has it easier. Now that short skirts/scooters are very popular (more than capris/shorts it seems) she stays in her outfit all night. Its dressy enough for the dining room and its as comfortable for her as wearing shorts.

Sometimes I think it's stubborness at hand here. The ship is very comfortably air conditioned so shorts aren't a necessity for men in the dining room, obviously. As far as comfort, my DH wears Dockers every day to work...he loves them because they are comfortable and dressy enough for his job. I'm sure Dockers shorts are comfortable too, but certainly not any more comfortable than the pants...and certainly not appropriate in the dining room.

I understand that most people don't care what others wear and it shouldn't affect your meal..technically, but I know that there is a dress code because it sets the atmosphere in the dining room. Different clothing will definitely change the atmosphere.

I guess my opinion is I really want the atmosphere of a 5* restaurant, so, I guess I'd like to see everyone dressed appropriately...how often do I get to enjoy a 5* dinner at any other time other than when cruising?

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

[This message was edited by halos on 04-25-04 at 08:45 AM.]

I guess my opinion is I really want the atmosphere of a 5* restaurant, so, I guess I'd like to see everyone dressed appropriately...how often do I get to enjoy a 5* dinner at any other time other than when cruising?

I agree with you on this one. I like the idea of dressing up for dinner too.

But how do capri pants provide a 5* atmosphere? To me, they are no more appropriate then short pants or denim pants/skirts.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with considering short pants and denim inappropriate for dinner, but I don't see how a pair of pants cut off at the ankle can be considered appropriate in this kind of atmosphere.

These threads about the dress code are always so funny. It really gets me why some people have to get their panties in a wad over what someone else wears on a cruise.

I agree with Highseaslover and Bar10der. I could not tell you what someone else wears to dinner. I have my mind on other things such as what am I going to order for dinner. Anyone that would spend time getting upset over someone else's dress has some serious issues IMHO. Your on vacation, not at a fashion convention.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Capris fit right in with other resort casual clothing and are absolutely appropriate for the dining room.

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

icon_biggrin.gif

panties are not in a wad here icon_eek.gif thank goodness.

Different people notice different things for different reasons. I was a hairdresser for 18 years. I notice people's hair, women's make-up and the way people dress...I don't dwell on it for goodness sake, but it is something I pay attention to because of what I did for so many years. I'm sure dentists notice a person's smile before anything else. icon_biggrin.gif

I still stand by what I said about dress being conducive to atmosphere...that is why most employers have dress codes or require uniforms, and wasn't there a study done (DERF...where are you??) on students and how well they perform in school in uniform or not??

I just think that how people dress definitely affects the ambiance...

just my opinion.

That being said...I do believe that you can dress up capris. There are lots of 'dressy' style capris out there.

The hairdresser in me will tell you that with the right hair and make up, dressing up capris can definitely be done....the woman in me will tell you that the accessories count too...can't forget great shoes! icon_wink.gif

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

Capris come in many different fabrics and lengths and can be extremely dressy or it can be a "married with children" Peg Bundy look! LOL! Crop pants and ankle pants are way more appropriate than capis(which technically are right below the knee) crops go mid to bottom shin. If they are a loose and wide flowing look it can be really elegant. It all depends. It varies just like pants do. Opt for crepey, linen, silk etc. and you will be a hit!

Just back from the Triumph! We loved the dining room. Food and service were excellent!

I sorta' enjoyed people watching..

I really don't care what people wear, but it was interesting.

Shorts and t-shirts were the norm for breakfast and lunch. Dinner was usually dockers (long) and polo's for boys/men. Women could wear most anything.. except shorts to dinner!

It is what makes you feel good that counts, and I'm strictly a jeans or shorts and t-shirt guy, but they 'request' slacks for dinner, so I wear dockers or something similar and a polo shirt.

After dinner it's back to the 'norm'!

I really don't think a couple hours in slacks vs. shorts will hurt anyone. icon_wink.gif

ps: Sign at the dining room entrance says "NO tank tops".. icon_eek.gif

I married my best friend in OchoRios, April 22!

odie_anm.gif

Triumph 4/04

Imagination 5/00

OceanBreeze 11/96

USS 'Neversail' SanDiego 10/65

Thanks for all of the opinions. Although my money is as green as anyone else's on the ship I suppose I will choose to save my jean capris for the daytime. icon_smile.gif

I do like to dress up at times, but every night for me is overkill. I will choose to wear slacks or a nice pair of black capris with some festive sandals. I'll throw on a nice tank top and a shear blouse. If it is dressy enough for a Vegas nightclub and dinner, it should be nice enough for a ship. Especially a Carnival ship. It's not the Seven Seas or even the Queen Mary.

I've learned early in life not to judge people by what they wear. I was a waitress and some of the worst tippers were the ones who came in with all of the bling and nice clothes. Some of the nicest people and biggest tippers were the ones who walked in wearing flip-flops and shorts. I didn't work at a sham restraunt either. Most folks did dress up, but on occasion you would get some that wouldn't. I don't think anyone else eating there noticed.

Since the rules state no jeans, I will abide just as some clubs make men wear jackets. No biggie.

My thought is that if someone wants to wear shorts or whatever they should be allowed. It should be him/her that should feel uncomfortable with it.

With that said, should larger women and men be allowed to sit out by the pool in bikini's or thight bathing suits? That is what I call distracting. I would much rather see someone in capris at dinner. icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rhonda

"One time, when I was drunk"

Elation 5/2/04

Celebration 12/06/03

Rhapsody of the seas 5/4/03

All I can say being 5'2 is capris are not for me. However my opinion on the issue is wear what ever you feel comfortable in after all it is vacation. For me I am choosing to wear cute dresses to dinner every night and I have a really pretty cocktail dress for one formal night and a beautiful red gown for the other. I never get the chance to feel like a princess so I am using this as my chance to dress up and have fun. But that is just for me. But if I were 5'7 or something and capris didnt look like I was waiting for a flood(how i think they look on me at 5'2) I would wear them. There are some really cute pairs out there...... Any way every one have fun on their cruises....

INSPIRATION

5/16/04

Rhonda...

Watch out! I made a similar comment on a different thread, and it didn't go over too well. But I totally agree with you about preferring to see capris in the DR than to see guys in speedos with stomachs so big they cover the whole front of the suit... and whatever the equivalent is for really large women...thongs, etc. Ick! icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Fascination 5/12/03

Good suggestion....I've never looked there. Thanks for the idea.

Until my next cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;04;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Next Up - ELATION - Independence Day 2004

CRUISIN FOR LIFE....

HAL Ryndam 2/2000

HAL Zaadam 8/2000

Celebrity Infinity 10/2001

RCCL Rhapsody 11/2002

RCCL Majesty 8/2003

HAL Zuiderdam 10/2003

Celebrity SUMMIT 4/2004

Archived