Allure of the Seas - 12/22/2019 - short review

Hi,

Not a full review, but since find cruise critic so helpful, thought I’d put down some thoughts for others.  If I get around to it, was going to post some pics but has been such a long time since posting pics here, would have to figure out how to do it again.

1)  Starting at the end, disembarkation was really easy.  First time walking off our ship with our luggage shortly after 7am, and it was a breeze.  We went right out to taxi line and got one to FLL for $13 plus tip.  Believe we were thru security check point shortly after 8am for our 10:45am flight.  I think could of actually taken the 9:45am flight if really hustled, but felt we had some wiggle room if there had been unexpected delays.  What was nice was finding seats and grabbing coffee while airport relatively empty as it became extremely busy/crowded as morning progressed.  Also (and not that we were up this early), the windjammer opened at 5:30am.  Other places were serving breakfast too.

2) Embarkation was a little more confusing - maybe because hadn’t cruised in a while, as I missed the expedited entry line which think could have used.  It was right in front of us, but I wasn’t quite sure about it.  However, the general line moved at a good clip so didn’t worry about it, and we were on ship around noon.

Note:  We originally had three cabins for six people - 2 in each cabin.  One of our family was unable to make cruise.  The cruise was booked so far in advance (at very good rate) that took advice from these boards, and just checked in five people, didn’t mention that one was going to be no show.  Automatically removed from cabin after sailing with no additional effort on our part, and no single occupancy supplement was charged.

3)Just booked traditional early seating and have to say it was peaceful just to walk to our table each night.  If it had been port intensive, would have used MyTime to eat s bit later.  I did have to scramble to get sunset pics on one night.  I know food is so subjective, but we had no issues with eating in MDR each night.

4)Solarium Bistro was a good choice for breakfast for us.  I found more peaceful and enough selections available.  However, I did venture into Windjammer for the made to order waffles (that loved with chocolate syrup and whipped cream).

5)I’m usually pretty easy going related to food but have to mention that the free coffee seemed worse than our last cruise, so even I ended up breaking down and using some of our OBC for Starbucks coffee by mid week.  I will say I also paid about $3 for hot chocolate in Promenade Cafe.  It was excellent/worth it.

6)When rock climbing not in session, I liked grabbing a chair on that small deck in back, very peaceful.

7)Two onboard activities really enjoyed included a free “captain/senior officers” talk that was held in comedy club venue (extremely interesting and funny) and a behind the scenes kitchen tour, including brunch.  Signed up for it right at dinner table when offered for the next day.  Very interesting and loved the discount 😊.  Maybe not enough people booked it online?

8)Finally, in St. Martin arranged for a private tour with Dexter Tours/Mr. Bow Tie. Local number 1721-5227551.  Very flexible and will customize tour based on interests - highly recommend.  One of the places we visited was Fort Louis and got beautiful photos/view from top.

so that’s my quick review😊

ps. Sad that couldn’t see Steelers game onboard while still in FLL port.

Happy to answer any questions if I can.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JosieRhodes said:

Hi,

Not a full review, but since find cruise critic so helpful, thought I’d put down some thoughts for others.  If I get around to it, was going to post some pics but has been such a long time since posting pics here, would have to figure out how to do it again.

1)  Starting at the end, disembarkation was really easy.  First time walking off our ship with our luggage shortly after 7am, and it was a breeze.  We went right out to taxi line and got one to FLL for $13 plus tip.  Believe we were thru security check point shortly after 8am for our 10:45am flight.  I think could of actually taken the 9:45am flight if really hustled, but felt we had some wiggle room if there had been unexpected delays.  What was nice was finding seats and grabbing coffee while airport relatively empty as it became extremely busy/crowded as morning progressed.  Also (and not that we were up this early), the windjammer opened at 5:30am.  Other places were serving breakfast too.

2) Embarkation was a little more confusing - maybe because hadn’t cruised in a while, as I missed the expedited entry line which think could have used.  It was right in front of us, but I wasn’t quite sure about it.  However, the general line moved at a good clip so didn’t worry about it, and we were on ship around noon.

Note:  We originally had three cabins for six people - 2 in each cabin.  One of our family was unable to make cruise.  The cruise was booked so far in advance (at very good rate) that took advice from these boards, and just checked in five people, didn’t mention that one was going to be no show.  Automatically removed from cabin after sailing with no additional effort on our part, and no single occupancy supplement was charged.

3)Just booked traditional early seating and have to say it was peaceful just to walk to our table each night.  If it had been port intensive, would have used MyTime to eat s bit later.  I did have to scramble to get sunset pics on one night.  I know food is so subjective, but we had no issues with eating in MDR each night.

4)Solarium Bistro was a good choice for breakfast for us.  I found more peaceful and enough selections available.  However, I did venture into Windjammer for the made to order waffles (that loved with chocolate syrup and whipped cream).

5)I’m usually pretty easy going related to food but have to mention that the free coffee seemed worse than our last cruise, so even I ended up breaking down and using some of our OBC for Starbucks coffee by mid week.  I will say I also paid about $3 for hot chocolate in Promenade Cafe.  It was excellent/worth it.

6)When rock climbing not in session, I liked grabbing a chair on that small deck in back, very peaceful.

7)Two onboard activities really enjoyed included a free “captain/senior officers” talk that was held in comedy club venue (extremely interesting and funny) and a behind the scenes kitchen tour, including brunch.  Signed up for it right at dinner table when offered for the next day.  Very interesting and loved the discount 😊.  Maybe not enough people booked it online?

8)Finally, in St. Martin arranged for a private tour with Dexter Tours/Mr. Bow Tie. Local number 1721-5227551.  Very flexible and will customize tour based on interests - highly recommend.  One of the places we visited was Fort Louis and got beautiful photos/view from top.

so that’s my quick review😊

ps. Sad that couldn’t see Steelers game onboard while still in FLL port.

Happy to answer any questions if I can.

Nice pics! And unfortunately the Steelers game was not worth watching. I wished I'd have been on a cruise and could only hear the outcome...

56 minutes ago, CaribbeanCrushed said:

Nice pics! And unfortunately the Steelers game was not worth watching. I wished I'd have been on a cruise and could only hear the outcome...

Thanks.  Ha, well at least I was in the air for the Ravens game and heard that sad outcome later.  I will have to check what “Pittsburgh Dad” said about the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyfincruiser said:

Thanks for the review.  Get on allure this Sunday and will check out those chairs you mentioned!

Again, when they weren’t holding rock climbing session, it was nice to grab a chair there when the upper decks were quite crowded.  I guess u can still get some sun too, but I was actually trying to avoid the sun as already had mild sunburn😳.

CD1704C9-8F60-4EA0-B2AD-CA20BA6EE25D.jpeg

789865F1-8F96-488A-9A74-5CEB50E1B1E9.jpeg

D84BF5E9-4759-451A-8EF5-A0969C159345.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 2:39 PM, JosieRhodes said:

Thanks.  Ha, well at least I was in the air for the Ravens game and heard that sad outcome later.  I will have to check what “Pittsburgh Dad” said about the game.

Just too many injuries to overcome this year. I'm looking forward to next year. Hope Ben can get back to where he was before he got hurt. 

• Like 1