Cruising with a tween daughter

Hello, we have booked a cruise and stay this July on the Marella Dream for my 40th birthday. It will be me, DH and DD who will be 12.

Its not our first cruise but our first with Marella. It will be DD's first cruise over all and she's a bit unsure about it. We compromised by making it a cruise and stay so she still gets to go to her favourite "holiday village" hotel!

Any tips on excursions that will interest her? We are doing the Rome, Sorrento, Corsica, Sicily and Palamos (sp?) itinerary. 

DD is adamant she does not want to be following a tour guide all day "like a school trip" so we want to try to do it at our own pace as much as possible, while at the same time not missing anything out.

For Rome, she was keen on the Segway tour but Marella say this is for 16yo and over. We were thinking of booking a Segway tour ourselves as there are some private companies that seem to do it.

We thought we'd book the "Rome on your own" tour (just so we can get the bus there and back) and then a private segway tour but we don't know where the bus would drop us off and what time we'd arrive at. We wouldn't want to book a segeway tour only to arrive too late or too far away from a meeting point.

Any tips on this would be great and any other excursions that DD may like? We thought maybe the tortoise place in Corsica and Barcelona on your own (as we've been before)

Also in what places would we NOT need an excursion - are there shuttle buses we can use instead?

And what do you recommend for DD on the boat - bit worried the pools might be too small/busy.

Thanks

Our GD (12) & GS (14) loved the ship and pool, enjoyed the freedom for food on pool deck etc and GD made friends with one of the waitresses in the bar just loved the dressing up for evenings, we met the waitress this year and she still remembered our GD and I think I noticed a tear they do love the children, to be honest our grandchildren preferred to be on the ship but most ports can be done on your own and as cruisers you know the risks of missing the ship think the Rome one could be Rome on your own from the ship but it is easy by train just risky. Hope you have a great one. 😎