Suggestions for La Romana Excursion

mdmudda59

I've been doing a little hunting on the Net on my own for resorts that offer a day pass to their resort. I checked into Casa Del Mar, as seen posted here and also one called Canoa Hilton. It is close to where we make port at Casa de Campo. It looks beautiful and many reviews are positive. Their website is: http://coralbyhilton.com/canoa/contact.shtm

The Hilton offers a day pass for $45. Has anyone had any experience with this resort?

Also for those who already were on the Opera during the past few weeks, how was Cayo Levantado? I have a friend who has a B&B on the mainland and she says it's beautiful.

Any thoughts?

Thank you, we will be on next week, the 11th! Yeah... can't wait to be out of the wet winter weather!

We did not plan on eating on La Romano so opted to take a cab to bayahibe beach which was really beautiful. They have posted fares as you get up the hill and go to the left. We got a deal since we told him he did not have to wait for us so it cost us $65.00 for 5 in a mini bus for 4 1/2 hours on the beach. Chairs: $7.00 ea. El Presidente: $2.00 ea. English spoken by quite a few. Small group of vendors who also spoke some english. Band playing right behind and a restaurant/bar with a clean if primitive bathroom. 2 of the group ate at the restaurant and said it was quite good.

Cayo is beautiful. It was rough tendering the day we went and we ended up leaving later than the schedule. Lots of vendors and they only take cash. Ship personnel selling drinks but no high pressure.

Have a great cruise!

I've been doing a little hunting on the Net on my own for resorts that offer a day pass to their resort. I checked into Casa Del Mar, as seen posted here and also one called Canoa Hilton. It is close to where we make port at Casa de Campo. It looks beautiful and many reviews are positive. Their website is: http://coralbyhilton.com/canoa/contact.shtm

The Hilton offers a day pass for $45. Has anyone had any experience with this resort?

Also for those who already were on the Opera during the past few weeks, how was Cayo Levantado? I have a friend who has a B&B on the mainland and she says it's beautiful.

Any thoughts?

Thank you, we will be on next week, the 11th! Yeah... can't wait to be out of the wet winter weather!

We,ll be heading to casa del mar to do some snorkling, if you want to share a cab with us, let me no on board the ship...I,ll be the one with the beach chair buy the pool..mark+tina the more the merrier..lol

I also recommend Bayahibe Beach. We did not go there this time around but have gone before and it's a great place for laying in the sun or water sports. Not good for snorkeling though, too many power boats and jet skis. Snorkeling is safe a Saona Island (Palmilla Beach) but there isn't much of a reef there. We tried the catamaran snorkel offered by the cruise line and I do NOT recommend that. They take you to a snorkeling area where there are some fish but the bottom of the ocean is covered in garbage. Yuk. We went to the Kandela show because we were travelling with friends who had not seen it and it was the exact same show we saw over two years ago. You sit on a stone bench and the male singer can't hit the high notes. It's rather dismal in comparison to the ship's entertainment so I wouldn't waste my money.

-Yergie

Any thoughts?

I,ve read positive reviews about Casa Del Mar for safe snorkleing.. Once in port at La romana, where gathering up some cruise people to join us in a cab ride to take us to this beach..If you read thread OPERA 2/11, you,ll find more info for meeting up with fellow cruise critic members...see you on board!!

Archived