Online checkin for someone who may cancel

rubytue

My husband is on the fence about our next trip. It’s a full ship charter on the Pearl. I may have a friend who will replace him, but no one is committing to anything right now (which is bugging the crap out of me). Anyway, the charter side is one issue, but I’m curious if I should do the online checkin for him? I’ve done it for me, but if I do it for him, does it make it harder if we change the name next week?

The trip is 3 weeks away, and I’m debating how hard I should push for a friend. Most everyone I’ve tried has begged off for adult responsibilities and such. Yes, we have trip insurance. No, it’s not a covered reason. I covered us for every medical thing (bc of my medical history), but not covered for “The GC won’t adjust the construction schedule for a planned vacation.”   So it’s a sunk cost if he goes or doesn’t go. Hopefully that will detour the “should have bought trip insurance” lectures. 

Fyi for future reference there is travel insurance that covers work as a reason you can't go. 

I would call the charter and ask - they might have different rules than NCL for switching a passenger. I don't think doing online checkin would matter though. 

Yes, I know there is that option for insurance. I don’t have it. Read the contract 10 times. The only way out is if my oncologist cancels me. Then I can get both fares back.

but this may be a moot point. I just heard back from my latest attempt to find someone and she is 90% yes (just has to check with her boss).  So if she can jump on, my H will happily cancel. He isn’t so keen on this charter anyway, and was only going bc of the ports. So, I’m going to hold off on doing his checkin until later this week anyway. 

14 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Fyi for future reference there is travel insurance that covers work as a reason you can't go. 

I would call the charter and ask - they might have different rules than NCL for switching a passenger. I don't think doing online checkin would matter though. 

Oh Wow!   Good to know.   I had no idea and could have used that a couple years ago when I was in a similar situation.   Would you happen to know the name of the insurance company?

15 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

Oh Wow!   Good to know.   I had no idea and could have used that a couple years ago when I was in a similar situation.   Would you happen to know the name of the insurance company?

I use insuremytrip.com to search policies. There's a box you can check that says "cancel for work reasons" to filter to just the plans that cover that. There's serval companies that offer that on some of their plans. This might be like preexisting conditions where you need to get the policy with a short amount of time from the deposit, but I'm not sure.