Cruising -- 7A - 6P in Phillipsburg - what's around the pier? Plan for day?

Funcouple

We'll be in port for 11 hours. What is within walking distance of the pier?

We definately want to visit Orient Beach. In order to get front row seats does it make sense to get there early? How early? Do they allow you to pack your own food when you rent their chairs? (we may or may not pack our own food -- we hear that the food is really good at some of the shacks on the beach)

We don't mind staying in one place and relaxing all day. Should we cut the Orient Beach visit around midday and visit another spot?

Thanks.

lots of things within walking distance of the pier. Shopping, beach... For $5 you can use the water taxi all day, as many times as you want. The water taxi will drive u from the pier to the shopping area of Phillipsburg.

Funcouple: I would spend most of the day at Orient and save maybe only an hour or so for shopping Front St. in Philipsburg. To do this, you should probably leave Orient around 3:30 (just in case there is traffic). Unless you are real die-hard shoppers, an hour is plenty of time to wander Front St., taste some liqueurs, and buy any little souveniers. (If you want a really good St. Martin souvenier, walk over to the sundries store/gift shop at Club Orient and get a shot glass or other "logo" item. We love ours--and even picked up packets of matches to use around the house.)

Also, unless you're packing pre-packaged food (packets of cereal, crackers, bottled water, canned soda, etc.), it is unlikely that you will be allowed to take food off the ship. Most ports have pretty strict agricultural laws about this and do not allow fresh food to be brought into the country or onto the island (unless it is a commercial shipment that is inspected, as we do in the US). Just an FYI, although I suspect you've probably experienced this on other cruises so it's not exactly news. The food at Orient is delicious. I couldn't even tell you which place is best to eat. There are just too many good ones.

Have a great Orient day.

beachchick

We'll be in port for 11 hours. What is within walking distance of the pier?

We definately want to visit Orient Beach. In order to get front row seats does it make sense to get there early? How early? Do they allow you to pack your own food when you rent their chairs? (we may or may not pack our own food -- we hear that the food is really good at some of the shacks on the beach)

Thanks.

Orient is a long wide beach but not deep like Jones Beach (assuming you have been there and pick up my reference.) It is not far from the water line to the back of the beach where the beach shacks, bars, etc. are. Many great places to eat here at reasonable prices, I wouldn't bring food here, we do bring soda cans in a cooler once in a while. Lots of activities, depending on what you want to do.

Archived