Upper Berth okay for an adult?

wovenwonder

I know it will be cramped and I'm not worried about that as we don't plan on spending much time in the room. I am looking at a quad room on century for 3 adults and 1 child. Do the upper berths hold an adult weight wise? Do you know what the weight limit is on an upper berth?

We have used one several times for our son. He is now only 7 and weights 63 lbs. I have never heard of one collapsing so I imagine they are very safe. Call the cruise line and ask if they have a weight limit...that will probably get you the best answer. I've only cruised on RCCL and Carnival before so our experience with the upper berths is limitted to those 2 cruise lines. However, last year we were on a cruise with 3 women and they were all sharing one cabin...they never complained about the upper berth. Actually they never even mentioned it, I guess we were all having too much fun!!! They were all taller than me and probably weighed as much as me...Around 140 lbs.

Have a great cruise.

Ann

Just don't spend too much time in the Martini Bar and then get in that upper berth or you may end up on the floor!:)

I've often wondered about rough seas. Are uppers safe then? I know in some seas the beds have been hard to stay in!

When we booked a Concierge Class cabin for 3 on Millenium there were NO Cc's with pullmans, so my son had to use the pullout sofa. He is 6'3" and 210 lbs and said it was surprisingly comfy (we did have to move the upholstered desk chair to the balcony in order to have enough room to slip by the pullout to get to the balcony, though). But Celebrity had said he would not pass the weight test had we been in a triple or quad cabin, and either my daughter or I would have had to use the pullman. The sofa bed collapsed easily so the steward didn't have any trouble getting the food to the balcony.

Just don't spend too much time in the Martini Bar and then get in that upper berth or you may end up on the floor!:)

I've often wondered about rough seas. Are uppers safe then? I know in some seas the beds have been hard to stay in!

The upper berths actually have a belt strap you can use, not to mention the little rail on the side.....

one of our traveling party is more than a few pounds over 200 and has slept in the pulldown bunk before ... our rule is that whoever wants to stay up late reading, sleeps up there, since there's a separate reading light! could be an issue on our next cruise since we are in a Galaxy inside with one double bed and two pulldowns. have been thinking seriously about upgrading anyway; I thought I was brave enough for 12 nights in a windowless cabin but I'm having major second thoughts, maybe this might be the key to flee back to our preferred configuration (double bed plus the *ground level* pullout ... oceanview category 5) ... TR

I guess I'm just not the adventurous type. I can not even imagine what a cabin would look like with 4 people and all their stuff! How do you even MOVE? I'm claustrophobic and while an inside cabin doesn't bother me, I think all those bodies would drive me bananas!!

As far as 12 days in an inside cabin goes I have spent 40+ days in one and it was fine. Instead of upgrading to an outside why not price two inside cabins? Sounds a whole lot more enjoyable! And you would have TWO bathrooms!:)

thanks for the suggestion, Tuggers ... in our case two cabins won't work since the third member of the traveling party is 10 years old; I'm sure he'd LIKE his own cabin but I'd be busy having a heart attack :) also for us it's really just a matter of $. for twice the price of the inside cabin we have booked, I think we could probably be in a suite! it does look like X has gone ahead and opened up the FO's on this cruise -- they weren't available for three-people traveling parties earlier -- we enjoyed one of those on Mercury in spring '04. Decisions, decisions, as the cruise gets closer ...

Archived