Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 1 Sailing Cancelled

mimianderson

1 hour ago, grest said:

are other dates cancelled as well?

No, Nieuw A is scheduled to make another visit to the Grand Bahama shipyard in Freeport on 01 Feb where a new pod will be waiting for her to replace the ailing one. According to HAL, her 08 Feb sailing out of FLL will not be affected 

17 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

No, Nieuw A is scheduled to make another visit to the Grand Bahama shipyard in Freeport on 01 Feb where a new pod will be waiting for her to replace the ailing one. According to HAL, her 08 Feb sailing out of FLL will not be affected 

We don't yet know for sure whether it will be a new pod or a spare, used pod. The Captain stated at an "Ask the Captain" event that it would be a spare, used pod. But, it certainly would be better if ABB could deliver a new pod for Nieuw Amsterdam to the shipyard by Feb. 2. Sounds challenging but, who knows.

2 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

We don't yet know for sure whether it will be a new pod or a spare, used pod. The Captain stated at an "Ask the Captain" event that it would be a spare, used pod. But, it certainly would be better if ABB could deliver a new pod for Nieuw Amsterdam to the shipyard by Feb. 2. Sounds challenging but, who knows.

Same thing happened with Oosterdam at the Esquimalt, BC, shipyard several years ago when one of her ailing pods was replaced with a smaller spare. About a year later, she went to dry-dock in Sicily where her original pod - then repaired - was reinstalled 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Same thing happened with Oosterdam at the Esquimalt, BC, shipyard several years ago when one of her ailing pods was replaced with a smaller spare. About a year later, she went to dry-dock in Sicily where her original pod - then repaired - was reinstalled 

So, we would assume that a similar 2 step process would take place in this case. However, when Oosterdam went to the Fincantieri repair yard in Palermo, it was for a planned Vista-class upgrade. It would appear that if Nieuw Amsterdam is to go to the same (or alternate yard) for step 2, that would require a "bite" out of her summer 2020 European program. Since she is due to go to Alaska for her summer 2021 program, this is not so simple for HAL.

Just now, NavArch64 said:

So, we would assume that a similar 2 step process would take place in this case. However, when Oosterdam went to the Fincantieri repair yard in Palermo, it was for a planned Vista-class upgrade. It would appear that if Nieuw Amsterdam is to go to the same (or alternate yard) for step 2, that would require a "bite" out of her summer 2020 European program. Since she is due to go to Alaska for her summer 2021 program, this is not so simple for HAL.

I guess it depends on the pod that will be installed in Freeport starting on 01 Feb and what exactly is ailing the one that's coming off. i.e. can it be repaired. If it does take a step 2 that, hopefully then repaired, pod will be making a trip by sea to whatever yard fits Nieuw A' schedule (Freeport, Esquimalt, etc.) and that could even be in 2021. But yes, I agree with you, like this upcoming not previously planned dry-dock in Freeport, that one would necessitate canceling a future cruise also   

• Thanks 1

Well issues with N Amsterdam have been swirling and I bet a nightmare for folks at HAL.

When things like this happen take a pause and think of these two things:

1- Hal tried to provide a solution so you could still have a cruise. The speed  and style of communication will always be a topic in itself but just deal best you can.

2- I am sure anyone in hospitals that are ill, anyone recently lost house or lives in floods or fires, and anyone with financial issues WOULD BE GLAD TO SWITCH PLACES.

So go on Zuiderdam which is nice ship and be Happy and have fun. So the room is smaller and some amenities will be less.

At least you can go. HAL is a company and did not do anything to make you made on purpose.

• Like 2

My problem was dealing with HAL. We did not want to go on the Zuiderdam. Instead we wanted to substitute for one on the N Amsterdam or the N Statendam in mid February and were told we could do so with 100 future cruise credit. They said there was a block of cabins set aside for us, but when my TA tried to get one they were not available. We then decided to go on the Veendam because they actually had a stateroom. After that they tried to say our future cruise credit for was for 50 percent when they had originally promised 100 percent. They misled us and kept changing their offer. My TA and I worked for four days to get everything worked out. We finally got the offer in writing for 100 percent which should not have been so difficult. Seems like there was confusion on the part of HAL. Although the Veendam is not as nice as the N Ams or N Statendam we are happy.  

57 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well issues with N Amsterdam have been swirling and I bet a nightmare for folks at HAL.

True but in this age of acquisitions and corporate cutbacks, customer service is usually at it's worse when there is a crisis. I'm sorry but that is simply a problem from the top down with poor training and contingencies. HAL was aware for quite some time they had an issue which may develop into a major one. It did and judging by the many posts, it was not handled well or consistently. 

Many people may be happy just to get on a ship. That's fine especially where timing is critical. If I booked a Neptune (which I did for my 2/15 on NA) I expect a suite. I have a contingency plan if our 2/15 is cancelled. a. different ship within HAL (same cabin type), b. don't take cruise-book something later with discount, c. Go on another line and d. Luxury resort somewhere in Fl until my 2/23 Celebrity cruise. 

The different options presented seem OK and consistent to what I've experienced on other cruise lines . They just need to be presented in a consistent manner. Better trained (for contingencies) customer service people are a must. Remember HAL or it's corporate entity is NOT a charity and our understanding for their problems only needs to go so far. 

• Like 1