Transferring From Anchorage To Whittier

mmo

.....any recommendations??? Do most people that are taking a specific cruise line just go w/ that line's transfer company? We are on Princess, wondering about something we saw called "Leopard Comedy Tours", trying to find out, other than a car, what options we have....I realize some of my questions sound very basic but am trying to coordinate so many things-separate land tour for DH and I, getting my "older" aunts to Alaska and finding some things for them to do in Anchorage b4 we arrive back there, getting us down to the cruise, figuring out excursions they might like and be able to do, etc that I decided to just ask how people recommend getting to the ship and going w/ one of them rather than more research! I'm just getting a little overwhelmed yet do realize how lucky we are to be able to do this trip of a lifetime so hope the above didn't come off as whiney......Thanks so much. :o

mmo, We are doing the Leopard Tour and are staying at their B&B the night before. It is less expensive than the train or the Princess transfer. You also seem to get some good sightseeing stops and commentary on the way. They also seem to get you there in plenty of time (5:45 for a 9:30 sailing). I will be interested in hearing from people this spring and early summer who use them. We will be cruising on Aug 5th.

Depending how many of you need transportation, a limo service might make sense for your group. We are booking a private limo for 6 for about $350. Sounds expensive, but it's a lot less than the 2 car rentals we originally had ($240 each car with one way dropoff).

If you go with a private rental, they will pick you up where you specify in Anchorage, then drop you at the pier. It might work out to be cheaper to go with them on a non-private transfer, depending upon how many people you have. We chose private because we wanted to specify our pickup time and place. The non-private service has regularly scheduled pickups at some hotels and possibly the airport.

Another option is the train, I think it only goes to Whittier once per day, and I believe it is a morning transfer. As I recall, it was about $55 p.p.

I made arrangements with them yesterday for our Whitter to Anchorage transportation on 6/24. The woman on the phone was terrific and easy to work with.

How much was the transfer? Can you give me a description of what stops, if any, you will make? What time are they picking you up and dropping you off?

We are thinking of renting a car, but this sounds interesting as well.

Tamara

• 4 weeks later...

I just spoke with Tim at The Magic Bus. He can provide the arrangements we prefer. Love Crus'n -- Is "The Bus" on time and dependable? Did you pre-pay in advance? He wants a check for the entire amount and says he will refund if we don't come to Alaska. Was this required? Do you know if he takes credit cards?

Your input is appreciated!!

B

Confused about transfers from Anchorage to Whittier...what is Princess's tranfer company and info you can give me on it; what is the website for Leopard Comedy Tours and any other info about transfer companies, other than the train. Would appreciate all info:confused: Thanks!

Nancy

This is what I have been able to determine through minimal research:

Princess has it's own motorcoach transfer buses. They pick-up at the airport starting around 12 noon and continue throughout the day as flights arrive. If you are already in Anchorage the day of departure and have Princess transfers, Princess starts assigning departure slots at 8 a.m at the Egan Center (downtown convention center) with the first actual departure for Whittier around 1 pm.

You can make transfer arrangements through independent contractors. The link below will provide some of your alternatives:

http://www.anchorage.net/913.cfm

I hope this helps.

B

Another option to look at is limousineofalaska.com. They are offering transfers for $35 pp. There are also optional tours, similar to the Leopard tours, for additional charges. It depends what you want to do and how much time you have. You may want to check with different companies and see which times work best for your schedule.

I just spoke with Tim at The Magic Bus. He can provide the arrangements we prefer. Love Crus'n -- Is "The Bus" on time and dependable? Did you pre-pay in advance? He wants a check for the entire amount and says he will refund if we don't come to Alaska. Was this required? Do you know if he takes credit cards?

Your input is appreciated!!

B

Yes, the "Bus" was on time - Tasha (driver / guide) was collecting our bags as we got to the bottom of the gang plank. Once she had the names of the others in our group, she helped to locate and load their bags as well.

We did not pay in advance. Tim also asked me for a check, and I gave him my AMEX number instead - told him he could add the 3% processing fee if he needed to (but I don't think he did).

If interested, we stopped at the Portage Animal Preserve just on the other side of the tunnel, and I'd recommend that if you are looking for something to do. (We also insisted on taking Tasha to lunch and gave her a handsome tip, as she was wonderful.)

Archived