Savvy cruisers--what are the odds on these rates going down?

Hi, there. I'm a pretty good cruise shopper, but I wouldn't consider myself an absolute pro like some of you, so I am looking for some input.

I live in Florida and our spring break is coming in March. I've been following the cruise bookings for RCI. The prices are still high (at least, what I consider high!) and they haven't gone down. No specials coming through for my particular week.

However, on most of the RCI ships there are over 100 cabins still available, and it is just 50 days away from sailing date! That's a lot of unsold cabins! Cabins should be almost sold out by now, especially at such a peak time. Yet the prices aren't budging.

What do you think the chances are that the prices will go down? Do you think the negative publicity regarding RCI is affecting bookings, and if so, why isn't RCI reducing prices?

Opinions?

cruiselines have a sold cabin plan that x amount of cabins must be booked by y date --if that doesnt occur they will usually lower the price of some cabins ---i have found that they lower the prices after the final payment is due for those who have booked earlier-- in that way they dont have to credit anyone because their cabin price went down and only the last minute booker will benefit

Spring break is usually a high demand time. The big discounts come on the repositioning cruises and the off season. :)
Not always. Just checked the price of our repositioning Panama Canal cruise - a D1 guarantee is now over $2000 more than we paid for our D1 - where we were able to choose our location.

Sometimes there are last minute deals - but you can't count on it. Our experience has been that when we find a cruise itinerary we like, with a cabin location that we like, and a price we like, we book it - the earlier the better. None of the cruises we've sailed on have had price drops - only increases.

What do you use as a barometer to measure when the price goes down? Do you use the ship's price? Sorry if I'm not being clear...........

So let's say I was looking to cruise Europe with Princess for summer 2007. On the Princess site, it says a mini-suite is $2500. pp. So I then call my TA and he tells me he's going to get me a great rate of $2000. I book it.

Now, where I do look for price reductions? Do I keep going back to the Princess website? If so, then let's say it then goes down to $2250. So if I call my TA, will he tell me that he got me such a great rate it can't go down any further? IOW, unless the Princess brochure quotes it at under $2000. pp, I really can't ask him for a reduction, right?

Thanks for all hints and tips. I just don't understand it when people keep talking about watching for rate reductions.

Thanks,

Jane

Not in Florida, but California, I tried to do just what you are doing, book a last minute cruise at bargain rates during a popular cruise season. Unfortunately, they never would come down on the rate, even 5 days prior to the sailing. I suppose there are people who book at full price the last few weeks before sailing. The cabins I had interest in did sell out.

Cruise lines aren't widely advertising large last-minute price reductions because it's bad for business!!! If cruisers knew what the bottom line price was, people would wait to book, knowing that prices would eventually reach that level. That would wreak havoc on cruise lines, who rely on early bookings and deposits for their balance sheets.

Furthermore, once those bargain basement cruisers come on board, they start bragging about their low, low fare to fellow passengers who paid the full fare, and guess what happens then? Can you say "M-U-T-I-N-Y?"

Cruise lines instead discreetly inform friendly travel agencies who have Rolodexes with customers who are willing to take last-minute cruises, and who know to be discreet about the price they paid. Some smaller lines maintain contact lists of former passengers who are willing to take last-minute cruises, but don't expect to see these cabins advertised to the general public.

Archived