ideas please

babyclaytonmom

I have been to this island a few times. Have done an island tour with Bernards and done an all day sail/snorkeling with Capt. Bob's. Will be there in a month on my honeymoon and my future husband hasnt been there before. Looking for an idea of some type of 1/2 day or 3-5 hr. tour that includes snorkeling or beach time (not just a quick beach stop). Not sure if there is such a tour that will at least let him see a little of the island. No need for shopping stops or much sightseeing. Any ideas?

14 hours ago, babyclaytonmom said:

Do you mind telling me a little about Simpson Bay Beach?

This is the view from behind Turquoise Shell Inn area looking towards the airport.  Simpson Bay area is about 15/20 minute bus/taxi ride from the Phillipsburg (although I would allow an hour to go back just in case!).  From the road side you kind of cut through and there is a beach that runs from the bridge that opens into the bay (Yacht club area) all of the way to the airport.  About 2/3 of the way towards the airport is Mary's Boon and Karakter Beach Bar.  Both have chairs/food/drinks.  Karakter is right at the other end of the runway from Maho/Sunset Beach Bar.  

As the tides flow so goes the sand and comes the seaweed.  Sometimes its worse than others, but we always like it in this area.  It's usually a little bit quieter than Maho/Mullet area.  Good company, good food and you can still experience the airplanes.  

IMG_1364.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 9:48 AM, MandiesPharm said:

This is the view from behind Turquoise Shell Inn area looking towards the airport.  Simpson Bay area is about 15/20 minute bus/taxi ride from the Phillipsburg (although I would allow an hour to go back just in case!).  From the road side you kind of cut through and there is a beach that runs from the bridge that opens into the bay (Yacht club area) all of the way to the airport.  About 2/3 of the way towards the airport is Mary's Boon and Karakter Beach Bar.  Both have chairs/food/drinks.  Karakter is right at the other end of the runway from Maho/Sunset Beach Bar.  

As the tides flow so goes the sand and comes the seaweed.  Sometimes its worse than others, but we always like it in this area.  It's usually a little bit quieter than Maho/Mullet area.  Good company, good food and you can still experience the airplanes.  

IMG_1364.JPG

roughly how much was the taxi to get there?

22 minutes ago, babyclaytonmom said:

roughly how much was the taxi to get there?

$15-$20 for 1-2 people each way - although that is just an estimate.  We haven't used a taxi in SXM in a very long time.  We always take the bus as it costs $2pp each way.   But the buses are harder to find at Karakter/Mary's Boon area.  You would have to walk about out to the main road.  The taxi will pick you up and drop you off right there.  

13 minutes ago, MandiesPharm said:

$15-$20 for 1-2 people each way - although that is just an estimate.  We haven't used a taxi in SXM in a very long time.  We always take the bus as it costs $2pp each way.   But the buses are harder to find at Karakter/Mary's Boon area.  You would have to walk about out to the main road.  The taxi will pick you up and drop you off right there.  

thank you so much... is there a particular place in that area I should tell the taxi to drop us precisely?

21 hours ago, babyclaytonmom said:

thank you so much... is there a particular place in that area I should tell the taxi to drop us precisely?

Ask the taxi to take you to Karakter Beach Bar.  They should know the area.  Have fun!!  Glad you were able to come up with a plan!