European Cruise?

Captain Crunch

I tink that they give you enough time to get a flavor of the City, especially if you are there from early morning until evening. Many of the itiniaries leave and return to Rome so you could do a pre or post cruise trip as the port is about an hour away from the City.

Do you stay more than 1 day in the large cities like Rome?
We have on the itineraries we've taken. We were two days in Civitaveccia. Took a private tour of Rome the first day then rode the train in the second day and did our own thing. We also had an overnight in St. Petersburg on our Scandinavia/Russia cruise.

We've taken both Med and Baltic cruises, along with a British Isles cruise.

Ports of call, while often short, do allow enough time for a brief overview of the area, and help in deciding which areas you might like to revisit in depth.

One problem for us on these cruises is the port-intensive nature, with few sea days, and little time to relax. We often feel of need for a vacation after the cruise, to recharge our batteries, so to speak.

I agree with you. That is the reason that we prefer the transatlantics when possible. The westbound trip adds an hour on 6 or 7 evenings and there are usually 2 or 3 days at sea at a time. I absolutely dread the long flights , our last from Amsterdam to Tulsa was about 14 hours including a layover in Houston.

GN

We've taken both Med and Baltic cruises, along with a British Isles cruise.

Ports of call, while often short, do allow enough time for a brief overview of the area, and help in deciding which areas you might like to revisit in depth.

One problem for us on these cruises is the port-intensive nature, with few sea days, and little time to relax. We often feel of need for a vacation after the cruise, to recharge our batteries, so to speak.

I'm looking into a European vacation for my wife on our next anniversary. But I can't imagine not spending a few days in each city. Leisurely strolling through Venice, Madrid, Florence, Paris and Amsterdam are some of my fondest traveling memories. I was hoping to find an Italian or Med Cruise that spent a few day in port, everytime.

Maybe another River Cruise? We did a Seine River cruise, which was the best in our lives.

Grannynurse

Yes, trans-Atlantics are great - but even better, trans-Pacifics. The Pacific is so much larger, many more sea days.

We did one, on Sky Princess' last voyage as a Princess ship, 9-00, 27 nights, San Francisco to Sydney - wonderful.

Another interesting one, also on Sky Princess, 4-97, 19 nights Osaka Japan to Vancouver BC, via Korea, Siberia, and the Aleutians. Very cold crossing!

I haven't cruised yet but I am going on the Med Enchantment leaving on 10th June. It ionly goes to the various cities for a day but what we are doing is staying in Rome for a few days before and a few days after. I know that doesn't solve the problem of wanting a few days in each city but at least you can see one city in depth.

Archived