Sitting alone due to peanut allergy?

nu2me

My DD has a severe peanut allergy.

She can't come in contact with any peanut product.

The result is Anaphylactic shock (throat closes, body swells, stops breathing)- not something I'd want to happen in the middle of the ocean!

I was wondering how group dining would work for us.

What if we were seated with other children who order PB&J off of the kid's menu?

I certainly would never presume to put limits on what someone else's child eats - but I have to think of my daughter's safety above all.

Would it be abnormal to request that our family of 4 be seated alone?

I'm not sure if this is possible on our particular ship. I mean, if there are 4-top tables why not, right?

Has anyone had an experience such as this?

Hi Lisa,

My son also has food allergies - eggs, nuts and he is anaphylactic to dairy. We will be traveling on Carnival in a few weeks. I called Carnival and explained my situation. They emailed me a form I needed to fill out and fax back to them along with a letter explaining my son's reaction to the foods he is allergic to. They also made a note in my reservation and once I am on board I am to go to the pursers desk and he will set up a meeting with the maitre de to go over the menu for my son.

I would absolutely call Carnival and request the table of four. I don't know if they can help you with that, but definitely make them aware of the food allergies. And as soon as you get on board meet with the maitre de.

Make sure you have your epi-pen with you at all times. I asked if I would need to leave one with the ship's infirmary, but i was told they carry all the things necessary if he were to have a reaction - but i am still taking all my own stuff.

I hope that helps.

Sandy

Thanks so much Sandy.

I got that form also. I was impressed with it and that Carnival's Special Needs Desk called me to verify everything - very reassuring. I was told to speak to our wait staff about her specific allergy. I think, on your advice, I'll try to set something up with the maitre de as well.

We carry the Epi-Pen and Benadryl everywhere. She's 7 and we've been aware of the allergy since she was 10 months.

After 2 monster-sized, scary reactions, we take no chances!

Which ship are you sailing?

• 2 weeks later...

My seven year old dd is allergic to tree nuts. We carry benadryl and an epi-pen also. We know now what she can and can't eat. Perhaps just remind her of her allergy and watch what she eats?

Other than that, what can you do. They definately won't pull peanut butter off the ship for that week. I sure hope not, one of my children lives on peanut butter. The other is anaphalactic. Thats how life goes.

Be sure and let the kids program know too!!! (If she goes there) On Carnival they have build your own sundae one of the evenings and I bet there will be peanuts available. Not sure about other cruiselines so be sure to check.

Good luck to you and try to have a great cruise!

Archived