Black Forest E-bike tour from Breisach

californiagirl

I have done a search on this topic with very limited success.  Has anyone done this tour?  Was it worth the money?  How strenuous was the ride with an e-bike?  How much of the Black Forest is experienced?  I realize Breisach is a fair distance from the Black Forest but that is how Viking lists this tour.  It looks like the biking is one way as the participants take a bus back to the ship.  

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Unless you are transported there by bus as well as back, I doubt that this tour will actually take you into the Black Forest, which is really too far away by bike for the time available. It would also involve some fairly steep climbs. More likely, it will be through the foothills of the Black Forest north or south of Freiburg, which is largely a wine growing area with many pretty villages. Or perhaps most likely, it will be through the Kaiserstühl, an area between the Rhine and the foothills to the east. The Kaiserstühl is also quite pretty, with its old volcanic hills rising from the Rhine valley.  It has lots of vineyards and picturesque villages and Breisach is its principal town.  

Thank you Lavernedrye for your response.  We went ahead and booked the tour.  Even if it’s small villages and hills I think we will enjoy it.  We’ve decided to do three days post-cruise in the Black Forest.  We would like to hike and perhaps do a genuine bike ride in the forest.  We plan to rent a car in Frieburg so we can go off the beaten path.  

• 2 years later...
On 1/27/2020 at 11:05 PM, californiagirl said:

Thank you Lavernedrye for your response.  We went ahead and booked the tour.  Even if it’s small villages and hills I think we will enjoy it.  We’ve decided to do three days post-cruise in the Black Forest.  We would like to hike and perhaps do a genuine bike ride in the forest.  We plan to rent a car in Frieburg so we can go off the beaten path.  

@californiagirl Wondering if you did take the mentioned E-Bike tour through the Black Forest on your trip? And if so, what were your thoughts?  We are considering this tour in July but can not find much information other than the light description that Viking provides.  

• Like 1

I can't speak to this tour, but we took a shore excursion with Scenic that utilized their E-bikes. Jane and I were looking for the exercise so we pedaled almost the entire trip. Others barely pedaled at all and let the bike do the work. There was one short steep climb and the extra 'oomph' provided by the battery power made for a quick easy climb. The bikes were great fun and we enjoyed the tour. Enjoy!

Paul