G.Cayman Wall & Stingray City Dive

reddi

We are sailing the Coral Princess and will be in G.Cayman March 31. Have read a lot about tendering problems there so thinking it might be best to take ship tour instead of private but have a dilemma. DW and I are interested in making a wall dive and stringray city dive. The ship offers this combination for $99 for a North Wall max 80ft dive plus Stingray City but says it requires an advanced dive certification or log book showing more than 25 dives. DW doesn't meet any of this criteria and I've made 50+ dives but don't have a log book. We're taking a refresher course before going.

Can anyone suggest a private operator who offers this at a reasonable price. I've looked at the sites of recommened operators and don't see it offered by anyone (like captain marvins, moby dick tours, neptunes divers). Also Neptunes appears to charge $50 just for gear rental plus $90 for 2tank dive. Seems awfully high especially when the ship's tours include all gear.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. :)

If you need all the rental gear to be included, then the ship's excursion is a better value. You should know that diving the North wall is very weather dependent, so even though they say the excursion goes there, it might not. As to the "Advanced Certification" needed to do that dive, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reddi-

If you do some research pointed at dive operations, I think you will find that $90-$100 US is the typical price for a 2-tank boat dive on Grand Cayman. The exchange rate on Grand Cayman is not in favor of the US$.

The North Wall and Stingray City dives are located outside the protected reef in an area that can be very choppy depending on the direction and strength of the wind, so anyone that 'guarantees' either site is full of hot air.

Typical gear rental prices throughout the Caribbean tend to be $25-$30 US for a regulator and BCD on a single trip. It's not typical to rent other items (mask, computer), so they are usually a substantial additional cost.

The prices at Neptune's divers are similar to other operators in the area, and their service is top-notch and personalized with 8 divers max on a large, comfortable boat.

If you're interested in going cheap, do a shore dive. There are a couple within walking distance of the cruise ship dock.

A 2-tanker with gear included at $99 seems like a good deal, but you have to consider the value of personalized service vs the very real possibility of a cattle boat experience.

If you feel a refresher course is necessary, you both might need or want some special attention. Unless you find an experienced diver in your group willing to watch you both, a DM with 15 thrashing bubble blowers isn't going to have time. Especially if they ask for divers with advanced certification or a minimum # of dives at the outset.

Have a great trip and don't forget to post when you return.

Wendy

Thanks for the responses guys. So BruceR, you suggest just signing up for the ship tour that combines the wall dive and S.C. dive even though no advanced cert? That would work out the best for us.

we've never been diving with a cruise ship tour before and I just don't want to be refused when we show up. Definitely have no interest in shore dives. There is no doubt the private operator would be superior - it just struck me that $140 per person was not reasonable for a 2tank dive with rental gear (reg, bc, weight belt, fins, wet suit). No interest in any special attention either as we have had the pleasure of making many ocean dives in Florida, the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii & South Pacific. Just no dives in recent years, hence the refresher course. Thanks again and I'll post when we return. (Also doing a 2 tank diving with Alison in Cozumel the day after G.Cayman!):)

Just a note. Neptune's Divers charges $30 US for BC and reg rental (15 each). Weights and tanks are included. So the full charge for a 2 tank trip with gear rental with Neptune's is $120 US, not $140 US.

So BruceR, you suggest just signing up for the ship tour that combines the wall dive and S.C. dive even though no advanced cert? That would work out the best for us.
. Would I go with the ship's excursion? No. The ship's excursion dive trips don't do the kind of diving that I prefer. Should you go with the ship's excursion? I can't answer that. It will depend on what you are looking for in a dive trip. The typical cruise dive trip is usually on a large boat with a large group of inexperienced divers doing a follow the leader style dive of limited bottom time. I prefer smaller operators and the freedom to do my own dive. However, if you do decide to go with the ship's excursion, then I wouldn't worry about the "advanced" requirement

The prices listed aren't out of the ordinary for GCM, and I've had very good service from Neptune's divers. They also are willing to do a North wall, SRC dive trip, weather permitting. The rental gear isn't an issue for me as I bring my own. Everything just cost more in GCM than most of the other cruise ports.

Archived