Florence and Santorini questions ..

ssgemini

We are a fairly 'youngish' (all in our 30's) group sailing on Millennium 14 May. We're considering hiring Vespa's to explore Florence - and a convertible to explore Santotini. Are we insane? Would appreciate any advice or suggestions from anyone who's "been there done that"!

I don't know that I'd want to do Vespa's in Florence, but we rented a car in Santorini and it was great. Small island and the odds of getting lost are quite remote. We had a great time and we're not so young LOL. We rented the car online for about $35 for the day.

You will just love that cruise, it's the best one we've ever done, would do it again in a heartbeat.

Have a great trip.

Marilyn

We are a fairly 'youngish' (all in our 30's) group sailing on Millennium 14 May. We're considering hiring Vespa's to explore Florence - and a convertible to explore Santotini. Are we insane? Would appreciate any advice or suggestions from anyone who's "been there done that"!

Florence is a great walking city - it is extremely crowded, has lots of narrow streets, and you would probably be dodging pedestrians and other vehicles if you are on a Vespa. If you have a chance to get one of Rick Steves videos on Italy, it will give you an idea of how congested Florence is. They are great videos to get a preview of all of your Italy stops. I was able to pick one up at my local library.

We rented a car on Santorini and had a lot of fun exploring the island - so highly recommend that. A convertible would be fun, but if you have a sunny day you may want to put the roof up. The sun is intense. We saw a lot of people on ATV's covering great distances.... but they don't keep up with traffic, so buses, cars, trucks are on their tails and passing them. They would probably be fun for a couple of hours, but you can easily spend a whole day exploring Santorini in a car. We didn't ask for one with A/C but ended up with one and it was a bonus.

We took Millie on the Med last year. Regardless of age, I'd STRONGLY suggest no Vespa, car, horse, or anything in Florence. Too crowded and too much to see for random street exploration--hire a good local guide and get museum tickets in advance.

On Santorini, we rented ATV's and had a GREAT time--the traffic is minimal, the countryside is fun to explore, and you really can cover the whole island on on one,including little alleys and lanes that you wouldn't take a car down.

We paid aboud $30 dollars counting gas for the day.

Have fun

I'd discourage you from renting a Vespa anywhere in Italy. Young Italians are born on the seats of Vespa's and they are unbelieveably crazy drivers. The last thing you want to be is a novice in the middle of a professional road race.:D

Santorini is gorgeous, positively wonderful! I guess renting a car might work there but consider just bargaining with a local taxi driver. There is some benefit to not having to drive. You can really take in the scenery and not have to worry about getting lost. We wanted specifically to get over to see Oia, so we got together with another couple from our ship and hired a taxi. It was a spectacular trip, great scenery all along the route and when we got to Oia, we found it charming beyond compare. We had lunch outdoors in a restaurant overlooking the sea, bought a poster depicting the town by a local artist and easily caught a cab back to port. If you're going to Mykonos, I would recommend renting a car there. The two islands are quite different. Small heads up on the Greek Islands: take seasick meds, you'll most likely need them coming or going from Athens. :eek:

Florence is a great walking city - it is extremely crowded, has lots of narrow streets, and you would probably be dodging pedestrians and other vehicles if you are on a Vespa. If you have a chance to get one of Rick Steves videos on Italy, it will give you an idea of how congested Florence is. They are great videos to get a preview of all of your Italy stops. I was able to pick one up at my local library.

We rented a car on Santorini and had a lot of fun exploring the island - so highly recommend that. A convertible would be fun, but if you have a sunny day you may want to put the roof up. The sun is intense. We saw a lot of people on ATV's covering great distances.... but they don't keep up with traffic, so buses, cars, trucks are on their tails and passing them. They would probably be fun for a couple of hours, but you can easily spend a whole day exploring Santorini in a car. We didn't ask for one with A/C but ended up with one and it was a bonus.

I have been fortunate to have spent a lot of time in Florence. Just driving with my friends who live there is hairy enough with the traffic and congestion and one way streets, but I would not consider a Vespa.

It is my favorite city and wonderful for walking.

Personally, I think it would be insane to rent Vespa's in Florence. The drive like maniacs over there, and I have no idea of what passes for road rules; there seem not to be any, and it's generally whoever has the most guts goes first. We had a private driver in Florence (which is a great way to travel. I remarked on the insanity of the Vespa drivers who would drive at top speed between the lanes on the highway. I asked our driver if they often see Vespa riders having accidents on the highway. The driver replied "Oh yes, you often see scooter jam on the side of the highway".

And you know what he means by scooter jam . . .

Florence is a very walkable city. We wouldn't Vespa anywhere in the world - especially in Italy.

We rented a cab with another couple at our dinner table for a couple of hours in Santorini. This paid off, when, after we visited the ruins, we hit a winery for a wine tasting. The cabbie actually had to come get us. I don't know what the legal alcohol limit, if any, is in Greece, but there was no way any of us could drive!

ps: Great prices at family-owned (Celebrity-recommended) Poniros Jewelers on Gold Street. Bought the Breitling I've wanted since I was 10 years old.

For Florence - get the Florence Walking Map by Jeanne Oelerich. The publisher is: Just Marvelous - 560 *********, Glencoe, IL 60022 and their website is: http://www.walking guides.com.

This is a great guide to Florence. When we went there on Mille in 2003 we did a half day guided ship's tour and the rest of the day on our own; which let us see a lot of the city. Try the gelato at Vivoli's.

In Santorini we took a local bus to Oia and walked around, eating a a wonderful local restuarant. When we cam back to the main town we did have some time to look around. However, it you want to get down to the beaches on the "outside" of the island, you will probably need a taxi or a rental vehicle.

Archived