Family Activities - RCCL Monarch of the Seas

Wendi&Max

I know there is an Adventure Ocean program for the kids, but I've also heard that many cruiselines offer activities for the family as a whole to participate in. I am traveling with my 4-year-old son next month, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me of family activities for both of us to enjoy together onboard the Monarch of the Seas. Do they have scavenger hunts, etc? I'd love to get some hints in advance of things we shouldn't miss. I am looking forward to some moments of solitude while he's having fun at AO, but I am very much looking forward to the two of us having tons of fun together on his first cruise (and my first in over 10 years...)

TIA for all of your advice!!!

I dont think there is that much although i think there is family bingo an the like

How disappointing... I was really hoping for a better answer than this. I guess we'll have to just find ways to amuse ourselves alone then...

I was on the Monarch in Dec - my son is 11 and his step sister is 13. I know for a fact there was tons of child/teen activities just as good as on the larger ships. The activity center was large, I was expecting much smaller on an older ship, but it was set up rather well.

The teens and the kids had family oriented scavenger hunts and a family talent show. It was really great. I liked this ship just as well as any other...we were only on a three day sailing.

Oh good... I'm feeling better about this answer than the last one!!! hehehe I hope we have a scavenger hunt because I think that'll be tons of fun for both of us. I know we won't be in for the talent show, but I'll look forward to watching it (I have no talent!!!)

Wendi,

Even if it is just you watching you little one having a great time showing off his talent, it is still great. Each time Chris has been in a show, they give the kids a medal, and tell them they are great. Good for self esteem and great reminder of the good time you had together. Don't sweat it, and have a good time. My son loves cruising no matter what ship.

Typically on RCCI, the AO program will have a variety of "family" events. Bingo and the scavenger hunt (mentioned before) are pretty much universal. We've also been on cruises where the disco is open to families mid day on one day as part of AO. On Voyager, there was a family skate open only to AO kids and their families. On Radiance, there was a family movie. RCCI ships are typcially very family friendly with athletic courts, put-put golf courses, the climbing wall, and other fun stuff that you and your DS can plan and do together.

Since my DD was 3, we've put together a daily "treasure hunt" - a listing of things I know we're bound to see in port (a British flag, a statue of a lion, etc), little things I've noticed on-board (a detail in a piece of art that we pass frequently, an unusual name I've seen on a nametag of someone we see regularly, etc.), or commonplace objects (an orange handbag, a NY Yankee baseball cap, a t-shirt from a univerity in California, rhinestones on flip flops, someone with their first name embrodered on their uniform) - when she was younger they were more obvious things and generally included a rough drawing of the object. We set a goal (9 out of 10 objects for example) and she gets a small treat if we meet the goal (anything on sale 4-for-a-dollar at the dollar tree, or a piece of candy I hid away in my suitcase).

It makes her pay closer attention to what's going on around her. We work together on the lists, so we have alot of fun. What we don't get one day, become "bonus" items on the next day.

It's all what you make it!

Archived