Internet / VPN

Master98

Yes it is possible, but no, the internet doesn't work that well to support VPN. Remember it's internet via satellite communications.

You best best is to use VPN while ashore and not via the ship's internet.

If you really need to check the internet and use VPN while on the ship, do it at a time of low internet use like between 3AM to 7AM.

22 minutes ago, Master98 said:

Thank you.

Is it safe to use the internet onboard without VPN?

I suppose it depends on what you are doing and how much you trust NCLs vendors. I noticed that all data is tunneled through Miami.

I used my corporate VPN without issue during our Baltic Cruise on the Getaway including webex and skype meetings.

15 minutes ago, Master98 said:

I'm a day trader so I plan to do some trading onboard.  I'm not sure if the internet will be fast enough for my trading tools.  I would prefer to use a VPN for more security.

I would probably agree with the previous poster...if you absolutely need reliability, wait until you can get a land based connection at port. At the very least you are going to have latency with Satellite internet. Even with Webex and Skype it was noticeable. 

Your internet is via satellite so you'll get all the BW and delay issues associated with SATCOM transmissions.  VPN does work, as other posters have stated, and I would trust in the security of the link but, again, the BW & delay issues associated with SATCOM is definitely going to slow you down....not to mention the add'l BW overhead associated with VPN.  I'd hate to be in the middle of an important trade/transaction and have the link crap out...as it does do at times.

As others have stated I'd wait till I got to a port then go to a trusted internet cafe and do my day trading there.