Cruising MSC Port Civitavecchia - Hotels Recomendations

TravelGirl0316

We are cruising out of the Port of Civitavecchia the end of March and we are wanting recommendations for pre-cruise hotel suggestions.  We are arriving a day early and wanting to go into Rome, would you suggest we stay closer to the port or if we should get a hotel in Rome.  It appears as though the airport isn't close to either.  Suggestions?

The Airport area is by far the worst choice. Hotels in Rome are quite cheap compared to other cities so we always stayed in Rome close to the railway station.  But why not spending the day in Rome and move in the evening to Civita, no bad plan either. You need to check the prices, on days with no cruise ships Civita is of cause much cheaper, I dont know what happens to the prices the day before a big MSC ship departs. 

Thank you!  I have looked around at the prices and they all seem to be ok.  I just can't decide if staying in Rome would be the better option then train back to the ship in the morning.  I have been looking at some of the "US" branded hotels thinking they look more like what we are used to, but then I think this is part of the experience.  So, with not a big difference in prices on the hotels, would you recommend training back to Civita late that night and staying there or from the airport go direct to Rome and stay in there then train back in the morning?  Thank you for your advice!! 

Which day are you embarking?  Feel free to Private Message if you'd rather not post on a public board.  Figuring out our (husband and I) plans to get on the ship and may be interested in ride sharing with someone.

FWIW, we are staying a couple of days in Rome before the cruise but we are also planning on heading back to Rome on our debarkation day before flying out the next day.  Both bookings are for the Trevi Elite Hotel.

I am new to cruise critic so I am not sure how to private message. 🙃  My email is angie.remington@lhptelematics.com if you can email me.

We have a group of 9 in our group and we would be happy to ride share if we can find something.  I just looked up that hotel and they look to be sold out if I selected the right one. Tervi Elite Roma, Rome Via Delle Muratte, 87 Rome.  Are your plans to go there from the airport then visit the city and train to the port the next morning?  I have read mixed reviews and some say to stay near the port, but my first thought was to stay in Rome near the train station, it looks like your staying between the Termini and the Vatican.  Have you been to Rome before?  This is our first visit and I just want to make sure we have enough time to arrive at the port the next morning.  I was going to call today to see what time they start boarding.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TravelGirl0316 said:

We have a group of 9 in our group and we would be happy to ride share if we can find something.  I just looked up that hotel and they look to be sold out if I selected the right one. Tervi Elite Roma, Rome Via Delle Muratte, 87 Rome.  Are your plans to go there from the airport then visit the city and train to the port the next morning?  I have read mixed reviews and some say to stay near the port, but my first thought was to stay in Rome near the train station, it looks like your staying between the Termini and the Vatican.  Have you been to Rome before?  This is our first visit and I just want to make sure we have enough time to arrive at the port the next morning.  I was going to call today to see what time they start boarding.  

It is not recommended to post your private email address here as the spambots may find it.  Best to remove that soon, or delete the entire post and post again.  Cruise Critic has a 'private message' system, but unfortunately, it is disabled. AprilF should have been aware of that.

Personally, I would stay in Rome and spend the evening in some plaza watching the Romans on their evening walk (passagiatta) and enjoy a leisurely dinner.  Keep in mind that European hotels list a # of people per room limit and stick to it. So if you have kids in that group of 9, this does not mean they 'sleep free'.  You need to count every head. I also could not fathom an international hotel chain, but understand that one can only cope with so much culture change with jet lag at once.

34 minutes ago, TravelGirl0316 said:

I am new to cruise critic so I am not sure how to private message. 🙃  

12 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

It is not recommended to post your private email address here as the spambots may find it.  Best to remove that soon, or delete the entire post and post again.  Cruise Critic has a 'private message' system, but unfortunately, it is disabled. AprilF should have been aware of that.

Personally, I would stay in Rome and spend the evening in some plaza watching the Romans on their evening walk (passagiatta) and enjoy a leisurely dinner.  Keep in mind that European hotels list a # of people per room limit and stick to it. So if you have kids in that group of 9, this does not mean they 'sleep free'.  You need to count every head. I also could not fathom an international hotel chain, but understand that one can only cope with so much culture change with jet lag at once.

Thank you, of course I cannot find how to delete my email or the post. Ugh
I have been looking at hotels and it looks like we will need 3 rooms, no young kids so all accounted for.   Where would you recommend or what area for dinner and to watch the romans.   I would love a nice hotel and it doesn’t have to be an international chain I just worry because most of what I have seen the beds don’t look comfortable.  Suggestions?

34 minutes ago, TravelGirl0316 said:

Thank you, of course I cannot find how to delete my email or the post. Ugh
I have been looking at hotels and it looks like we will need 3 rooms, no young kids so all accounted for.   Where would you recommend or what area for dinner and to watch the romans.   I would love a nice hotel and it doesn’t have to be an international chain I just worry because most of what I have seen the beds don’t look comfortable.  Suggestions?

There is a time limit for editing (maybe deleting as well?  There should be an edit option beside the 'Quote' option at bottom of the post with the email address. Worse comes to worst, look at your first post to see if you can delete the entire thread.

As to where to stay, it has been a while since I was there, and with just 2 of us, we stayed at a humble B&B near the Vatican.  Yes, beds are not like at home.  MSC beds are hard as rock, I am told, so maybe Rome will be preparatory?  I think Piaza Navona or near the Pantheon are great piazzas. There would also be hotels in the area that are nicer tourist hotels. When we were there, there is a street that leads to Spanish Steps that was the passagiata route. Not sure is still is.  Google will help on that.  The area around the train station wasn't very upscale when I was there.  As for transport, consider doing some research on large van type taxi to pick you up from hotel and take you to port.  Cruise critic has a Port board so you can check there specifically for Rome. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/ 

3 hours ago, TravelGirl0316 said:

Oops, we are embarking on Sunday March 22,  what is your dates?

Sorry, we are going in May.

I choose that hotel because its location is great for things we want to walk to on our visit, its a good location for that for us.  We are actually doing a week before with a car and then will return the car and head to the hotel.  Looking at options to return the car closer to the hotel rather than heading back to the airport to do the rental return. 

2 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Cruise Critic has a 'private message' system, but unfortunately, it is disabled. AprilF should have been aware of that.

Not sure why I "should have been aware of that".  A little PM envie still shows at the top of my screen and I see references from others to PM on occasion.

Thank you!!  I am not worried about it- I can delete and report spammers if it happens. Always a chance when you lost your email so I guess I will learn. Lol. No worries. Thank you for your help

on a side note we looked at renting a car at the airport and then returning at the cruise port and that was crazy expensive 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TravelGirl0316 said:

on a side note we looked at renting a car at the airport and then returning at the cruise port and that was crazy expensive 

Thanks for that bit of info.  We dont want to drive too much (at all?) in Rome so Im hoping we can return near a main train depot on the way from Modena to Rome and then just train back towards our hotel.  Hotel looks to be about a ten minute walk from train station and we can make that easily with our backpacks.  There is always a taxi for that bit if we find ourselves too weighed down by souvenirs already.  LOL

Edited by aprilF