Choose btw Mia/Bahamas/USVI/G-Turk and Tampa/G Cay/Coz/Belize?

Middleager

Hi.

I'm a vacation diver (PADI AOW certified) and my wife learned to snorkel last year. We'd like to take a cruise that would have some ports for good diving/snorkeling. We are considering one of the following cruises, both Aug. 27.

One is Carnival Elation from Miami to Half Moon Cay Bahamas (9am-4pm); St. Thomas, USVI (8-8); San Juan, Puerto Rico (7-3:30); Grand Turk (12-7).

The other is Carnival Miracle from Tampa, to Grand Cayman (7am-4pm), Costa Maya (10-6), Cozumel (7-6), and Belize City (7:30-4:30).

Both sounds good, but like to ask for your opinion on which one we might find better diving/snorkeling experience :rolleyes: . If possible, we'd like to save by making our own arrangements with dive ops and if possible to have my wife snorkel on top while I dive below.

We've been to resorts in Ocho Rios and Veradero Cuba. The diving/snorkeling there were not very good, but south Cuba at Bay of Pigs had very good wall diving. Had been to Bahamas 20 years ago on honeymoon but it was not for diving/snorkeling (were busy on something else :D ). So have not been to these ports before.

If there are good diving near Miami or Tampa, we could also fly down a couple of days earlier.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

I just returned from the Valor a little over a week ago that did three of the four stops as your Western Caribbean cruise - you can read my review of the diving on this board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=289474

There is good diving near Miami, not so good near Tampa, IMO.

I don't know anything about the snorkeling at Half Moon Bay, but you probably won't find anything too great in San Juan.

If you decide on the Miracle I can help you with options for diving in the Miami area if you're interested.

Hi.

Really nice review, Augie. I read it with a lot of interest. I originally thought Costa Maya would not have good diving/snorkeling but would be a port to visit the Mayan ruins. But sounds like it would have good diving.

Now it sounds like the Miracle to Coz/Belice/GC/Costa-Maya wins out for diving. I had gathered San Juan for the Elation would not be for diving/snorkeling, but I did like the fact it included G-Turk and USVI.

It the cost is the same, Miracle wins out, but it actually costs $200 more.

Augie (or anyone), what kind of diving/snorkekling would be available for Tampa (Miracle) vs Miama (Elation).

Thanks a lot.

I really don't know anything about diving or snorkeling off of Florida's gulf coast, since I never have.

I have heard that quite a lot of the diving done in the Gulf is done far offshore, by spearfishermen.

I used to live in Tampa many years ago and I can't really imagine anywhere very close to there that would offer any snorkeling or diving that I'd care to do. Places like Tarpon Springs might be an exception, but it's not real close, and like I said, I don't have any personal experience there.

If you're in Miami there are a large number of dive opportunities. My favorites are in Boynton Beach and Jupiter, which, depending on where you're staying, could be a nice car ride away (Boynton would be the closer of the two by 30 to 45 minutes). The reefs I dive in Boynton are typically in 60 ft of water, 80 in Jupiter, so they wouldn't be great for snorkeling.

Unless someone from South Florida advises me differently, the upper keys would likely be your best bet for sites that could be both dove and snorkled.

Whatever you decide - have fun!

In terms of the departure cities, I'm hearing Miami or Key Largo at 1-hr south has very good diving. That would be the S. Carribean cruise on Carnival Elation.

For the W. Carribean cruise on Carnival Miracle, the departing city Tampa and the nearby Clearwater area, does NOT have much clear water (i.e. vis 20-25'). Too bad it's too long a drive from Tampa to the keys, for pre-cruise dives.

For the W. Carribean cruise on Carnival Miracle, the departing city Tampa and the nearby Clearwater area, does NOT have much clear water (i.e. vis 20-25'). Too bad it's too long a drive from Tampa to the keys, for pre-cruise dives.

Hi,

There is some gulf diving south of Tampa. I dove around Marco Island near Ft. Meyers. No much to see but within driving distance (remember this is the gulf). Also as an alternative to driving from Tampa to the keys, you can always catch the fast water taxi from Ft. Meyers to Key West (takes about 4 hours). You can google "fast water taxi to Key West" and I'm sure you'll find the hits. Fair to good diving in KW and definitely the best surface interval in the Keys. :O)

Randall

Archived