Coronavirus and trip insurance

shuguley

Had a communication with my travel agent this morning about trip insurance and coverage provided due to Coronavirus.  Her reply included:   Most trip insurance companies have issued statements like the following from CSA/Generali:  "For plans that do offer coverage for illness, please note that the Coronavirus outbreak event could be considered foreseeable under any plans purchased on or after January 22, 2020."

Interesting..........

Does Travel Insurance Cover Coronavirus?

Currently, if you are looking for trip cancellation coverage because you are concerned about the coronavirus (COVID-19), you will now need to purchase a plan that includes Cancel For Any Reason since the travel warnings are now foreseen. This benefit is time-sensitive and has other eligibility requirements, so not all travelers will qualify. Please be sure to read the plan details carefully before purchasing.

Remember that travel insurance only helps to cover unexpected events. The coronavirus became a named event on January 22, 2020. Similar to a weather event, once an event becomes a "known" event, it may not be a covered reason for cancellation if a traveler books a trip after that date.

For most travelers who purchased their travel and insurance prior to January 22, 2020, benefits included in comprehensive coverage may apply in the following scenarios:

• Trip Cancellation: a traveler gets ill and must cancel a trip or a traveler must cancel a trip because a travel companion or family member gets ill.
  • Emergency Medical Coverage: a sick traveler must see a doctor and/or go to the hospital during a trip.
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation Coverage: in rare cases, a sick traveler requires an emergency medical evacuation to the nearest appropriate hospital or back home for recuperation.

FYI, I purchased Cancel Anytime Insurance just last month for a Spring break cruise with my grandson this March and also a Transatlantic in October/November (Italy).  I was told by the agent that once the virus was "announced" or whatever (likely the date of 1/22 that you mentioned), the ONLY policy that would be valid to use to cancel in that case would be "cancel or any reason" addendum.  That piece is time sensitive and has to  be purchased within  XX days from first deposit (from 14 to 21 days if I remember correctly).  BUT, get this, I was told that in the event someone did have the Cancel for Any Reason insurance, it's best to not give a reason IF asked (again, depending on the insurance company).  If asked, do not say anything about the coronavirus.  Simple say I decided not to go.  It shouldn't matter because it's cancel for any reason, but that was the advice given to me by the agent so just sharing. (something about this "fine print about outbreaks previously announced blah blah blah" exclusion). Better safe than sorry I say.

1 hour ago, shuguley said:

Had a communication with my travel agent this morning about trip insurance and coverage provided due to Coronavirus.  Her reply included:   Most trip insurance companies have issued statements like the following from CSA/Generali:  "For plans that do offer coverage for illness, please note that the Coronavirus outbreak event could be considered foreseeable under any plans purchased on or after January 22, 2020."

Interesting..........

14 minutes ago, SRQMom said:

FYI, I purchased Cancel Anytime Insurance just last month for a Spring break cruise with my grandson this March and also a Transatlantic in October/November (Italy).  I was told by the agent that once the virus was "announced" or whatever (likely the date of 1/22 that you mentioned), the ONLY policy that would be valid to use to cancel in that case would be "cancel or any reason" addendum.  That piece is time sensitive and has to  be purchased within  XX days from first deposit (from 14 to 21 days if I remember correctly).  BUT, get this, I was told that in the event someone did have the Cancel for Any Reason insurance, it's best to not give a reason IF asked (again, depending on the insurance company).  If asked, do not say anything about the coronavirus.  Simple say I decided not to go.  It shouldn't matter because it's cancel for any reason, but that was the advice given to me by the agent so just sharing. (something about this "fine print about outbreaks previously announced blah blah blah" exclusion). Better safe than sorry I say.

Good to know. We have CFAR for our two cruises coming up in April.  At this point we don’t think we will cancel, but are watching events closely. First time we have ever purchased CFAR addendum and I went back and forth about it and now am so glad we did.